Official Community Forums Home

Age Differences When Dating

Kama

• Members

There is nothing wrong with wanting a man of a similar age. Someone of similar age is more likely to have things in common with you, have a similar maturity level, and be at a similar stage of life.

And there is nothing wrong with wanting someone you are attracted to, and age plays a role in that attraction.

The youngest I went was 8 yrs. He was 20, I was 28. It was just a booty call really, though I wish it could've been more, his sister didn't approve since I was "too old". LOL

Soon, I will be free to date, and will be 40 in May. Cougar anyone? ;P Anyway, I really don't think too much younger than I would be preferable. Too much drama. But, ya never know!!!

What you prefer, and what your chemistry tells you can sometimes be 2 totally different things. If you feel chemistry with someone before knowing their age, you might be surprised!

• Members

I have to say when I got separated I wasn't sure what I wanted. I thought I wanted someone around my age. I put an ad out and got all kinds of responses. Granted mine clearly stated not a one night stand type but those didn't listen. This was almost 5 years ago. I ended up with someone responding to me that was 13.5 years older than me. I was very unsure but we talked for about a month before we even met. We have a lot in common. Here we are almost 5 years later and still have a lot in common. It is interesting as friends of mine are dead set against dating anyone past a certain age but yet a few of them had made comments about how they could find a man like I found. I told them maybe they need to relax the age guideline. I can't promise that will help them but I was lucky enough. To me I have learned in the last few years that age is clearly a number and nothing more.

• Like 2

• Members

I think too big of a gap may not be ideal. I'm only thinking about things like going through certain life stages together, at the same time. But, what you're comfortable with is what you're comfortable with and no reason to worry about it.

When I was single, I only dated men my age or a little bit older than me (usually not more than 5 or 6 years). It wasn't so much intended as it just happened. I never dated anyone younger than me though. Ever. Until I met this one guy who was 5 years younger than myself. We've been married for 15 years! HA!

• Members

Agreed RG (but in reverse). I think 40's really are FABULOUS! Since I hit 40, I don't think I'd have the patience for someone in their 20's. My husband feels exactly like you do and he's in his late 30's.

As well as someone in their 20's might not want to hang around an "old lady" like myself!

:P

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hugh Hefner was in the news a day or two ago. He is 86. Just married a 26 year old girl.

Personally I think that's a bit of an extreme age difference. Can't imagine what either one could have in common with the other.

She likes $$$$, he has money. Common ground. :-) :-)

• Haha 1

• Members
She likes $$$$, he has money. Common ground. :-) :-)

You know it! But I can't stop thinking about how disgusting it would be to have sex with a 86 year old.

.........Unless of course I was 86 too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Age is but a number...

I've dated some since being back on the single scene...I've dated women my own age, 5 years younger than me, 10 years younger than me, and 20 years younger than me... I have had more in common with women closer to my own age than not... Though dating a young woman can be fun, I do prefer a woman closer to my own age...

Oh, I've never dated a woman or had a relationship with a woman older than myself, not knowingly anyway... not that I've avoided her, it just hasn't happened...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Nothing wrong with being picky. You have your standards and your preferences. I'm glad that you wish to honor them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Rupert Murdoch recently got divorced; got married when he was 68 and she was 30, nearly a four-decade spread.

Not as bad as Hefner's case, and in the end none of my business and no skin off my nose, but for my money that's just too much of a difference for mere mortals.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

For many years I found that I was attracted to women who were older that I. When I was between 25 and 35 I was super attracted to women who were in there 40's. I still am but now find attraction to women from 30 to 50. 20's are a bit too young for me for a relationship. I'd rather focus on the whole person, but I find if someone so too young there is not enough common ground for us. Now that I am unattached after many years we will see what happens next.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Another celeb in the news recently, actor Doug Anthony Hutchinson married a sixteen year old girl when he was 51. I guess that happened a few years ago.

I'm not even sure how that's legal, but beyond age difference, in my opinion, someone that old (or 40 or 30, or approaching 20) has no business marrying someone that young.

• Members

I tend to agree that a 51 year old man is with a 16 year old girl there could likely be a problem. Although many States have an age of consent of 16, there is an issue of power and experience. 16 year olds just don't have the same level of experience and never have as much power or influence from life experience in my opinion. Without getting into a,long dissertation, I have witnessed problems with unequal relationships.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I have discovered that the longer I am without a partner the better everyone looks. Still my preference is some one no more than 15 years in age difference. A beautiful 40 something woman would capture my full attention.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
12 hours ago, H. Housewife said:

Wow I feel like a creepy old lady have a guy crush on someone way younger even though I'm married. At least he's a smidge past legal age?

Hey, I had an NSA partner that was 23 while I was 32.  We both agreed that we weren't a serious match! :) 

The guy I am dating now is my age.   I have matured a bit since this thread was made. As long as two people are happy, that's why matters. Some people are okay with big age differences, and it's cool.