Official Community Forums Home

• Members

Greetings Board!

As a newly single woman, I have come to discover a whole new status: The Flirtationship! In the world of social media (chat rooms, message boards, Facebook, Twitter, myspace) the Flirtationship is the new thing! This seems to be when you speak with someone of the opposite sex (or, if bi or homosexual the same sex) and exchange a little more than an occasional flirtation. I have recently entered into a pretty heavy flirtationship - that, once meeting in person - has gone a little deeper.

It seems to me, that by your 40s many people have a lot of baggage and issues that make relationships a little harder to navigate. However, we are sometimes a little more open to sex more quickly, and to do this the Flirtationship offers you a safe zone to test out your ideas, thoughts, theories and what not.

So, I am curious: Who is in or has been in one or more Flirtationships? How did it go from there for you?

• Like 2

• Members

Flirtationship,,,mmmm....nice word...and pretty accurate. That is until you meet and finally get to explore physically what you and your flirtationeer have been getting off to via social media....

I love flirting, I love to hear what she likes and I love when she wants to hear the things that make me crazy.... In my mind its harmless and fun whether you are single or in a relationship. Those are the circles I like to run in,,,,what else do you want to know??.....

• Like 2

• Members

Well, for me, I think I am naturally flirty, so even in a relationship I flirt a bit too much, but I hold way back when committed. FOr me, the Flirtationship is like a middle ground between talking and meeting. You explore a bit more than you would in a "normal" conversation. Perhaps sext a bit. Maybe send a naughty picture or two. You break the rules regarding being just friends - and then once you meet - as you said, you see if it all "translates" into real life.

• Like 1

• Members

The real life thing is the point that fun, hot, sexy, fantasy becomes more than a flirtation,,,,,that to me is the point of cheating (unless the couple have that type of open relationship). I am definitely naturally flirty too, I think it's because how much I love women and respect them for all the BS they put up with in their day to day lives compared to men. I consider myself lucky to be a man, life just seems like it is so much easier that way...to me anyhow...what do you think?

• Members

I am unattached, so for me this is more of the beginning of what COULD be a relationship of some sort. I guess I do not look at it as something done when in a committed relationship, although I do admit crossing a few lines previously in my life....

• 1 year later...

I've been in a couple of Flirtationships. I've had one that got a little bit too demanding for my tastes, so I ended that. And you know what? I didn't feel guilty about it either.

I think that Flirtationships are a safety net. As you stated, us ladies in the 40's, have a lot of baggage and trust issues. It's not like we haven't been in good relationships, but after those have failed, we're a bit more cautious. I think it's pretty natural (men too).

So I think that, for a self-preservation thing, and also a way to get back in the dating saddle again, these are beneficial. Let's face it, after a marriage ends, each party has doubts about themselves. I'm out of practice with flirting. My ex had told me continuously that I flirted all the time, and made me feel bad about it, though I never saw that I did so, and so I retreated into myself a bit more than I care to admit.

I'm working on getting my flirt back. :) I just need someone worthy of flirting with. :)

• Members

I am a big flirt. I have long understood it is a game that can lead nowhere or lead to something special. Nonetheless I love to flirt. It makes me feel happy and usually brings happiness to the other person. I have a few serious flirting relationships (distance, timing, and other factors have prevented anything more serious) that I enjoy very much. There is a woman that I share a flirting relationship with that I know will never be anything more as she is in a committed relationship, but we have clear, defined and established boundaries. There are others that I flirt with on a semi-regular basis, but none yet that seem to be developing into a more serious relationship.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

With online world has opened up a whole new way of flirting, meeting people, and relationships. It's a somewhat safe way of flirting, and less personal in a big way.