Official Community Forums Home

What Do You Think?

bgechloe

• Review Team

Now this would invole photoshop or some kind of program but how about some kind of collage? There would be a size restriction and other rules we could come up with as well as a specific theme..Ideas? What you think?

• Members

I agree with Froggy you are better off getting with Ginger on this. She handles photo contests. Your best bet is through the chain of the different areas. There are already people in place from the way I have seen things in the past that handle certain aspects. Just my opinion.

• Review Team

Wasnt aware that I could only run certian kinds of contests, doesnt really make sence that I would have to talk to anyone outside whom I been talking to, to be approved to do it. Not to sound rude or anything.

• Members

I think it was just ment for you to have someone to help you with it and maybe come up with the idea for it of exactly what to do. I think they are saying that she has experience and has done them in the past....who knows...she might want to get in with you on it since those are the kinds she has done.

Just saying what I think the others ment. I am sure they didn't mean to sound as if you had to have her permission for it.

Just a few helpful hints:

It's not that you HAVE to talk with others to do something like a contest, so long as Rob approves of it, of course. However, it's a respect for the moderators of certain areas & as well as the people that have been long-time members (or even newbies, for that matter) to go over suggestions, ideas, and past contests. For example, Ginger J has done a lot of work with the photo forum, and has run a few phots contests from that specific forum already. So, again, it's just a matter of respect for the people that run the different forums/contests.

Check out the suggestions that were made in the Contest Forum & News & Announcements forums, and see who's suggested what, and to be fair, give each person the credit that is due for coming up with the idea first.

You may want to see if Rob is looking for someone to run the Contest Forum on a regular basis, if you plan on doing more contests, which can be a lot of fun, when they're done politely, respectfully, and forum-friendly.

We have SOO many wonderful, talented, stimulating, and creative people here on the forum, which is one of the things that makes it wonderful! I would hate to see anyone get discouraged from participating due to negative or hurt feelings.

Just some helpful, friendly advice. :)

• Review Team

Thanks for the advice. I try to come up with my own ideas and like the one I am doing now I never even saw the post on it until I actually looked for it. None the less I like to run things on my own most of the time so I do not have to really rely on anyone else to do things. I like being noticed for what I do. I have thsi think in real life where I do alot fo work and then get the poor end while someone else takes the credit and maybe thats why I am a stickler on it :(

However if I suggest something I have been getitng it approved by Rob and since I am new to the contest ways others plz feel free to send me a pm if its an area you handle so we can further discuss ideas :)

Plz don't take what I say as mean I write things sometimes in a way that sounds worse than I mean it to at times :S

Thanks for the advice. I try to come up with my own ideas and like the one I am doing now I never even saw the post on it until I actually looked for it. None the less I like to run things on my own most of the time so I do not have to really rely on anyone else to do things. I like being noticed for what I do. I have thsi think in real life where I do alot fo work and then get the poor end while someone else takes the credit and maybe thats why I am a stickler on it :(

However if I suggest something I have been getitng it approved by Rob and since I am new to the contest ways others plz feel free to send me a pm if its an area you handle so we can further discuss ideas :)

Plz don't take what I say as mean I write things sometimes in a way that sounds worse than I mean it to at times :S

You're welcome for the advice. And, if you've been at the "poor end of the stick", then you will know how some of the people feel, when you seem to use other's ideas (though you may not be aware of their idea was first), and take credit for them. Hence why I suggested that you READ all of those forums FIRST, before anymore suggestions or ideas pop up. That way, you know that it's either been done, or suggested BEFORE you post it. Again, this way, so you don't offend or hurt anyone's feelings. Plus, the suggestion may be someone else's, but getting it done will be to your credit too. Either way, it's suppose to be fun for ALL.

It's a hard world, IRL, and everywhere, and tones with the "written word" can be mistaken. This has been covered a lot here (and on several other boards that I frequent as well). What I would also like to suggest, is that you read what you write, out loud if possible, first, before posting it. If you hear it out loud, you may think, "OMG, that is soooo how I didn't want that to sound!". Or that how it's written just doesn't make sense if someone else were to read it. Trust me, I've done it a lot. Plus, I LOVE the EDIT POST feature. :P It really does help come across much better a lot of the time, if you do that first. There are, of course, some posts that you just CAN'T make sound nicey-nice, but it most cases, anyone can make things sound, at most, polite &/or thoughtful.

As for me, I don't take offense easily, and if you ever DO truly offend me, then I won't attack you on forum, but rather send a PM to you directly (not attacking there either), or report the offending post, depending on the situation, naturally. Life's too short for everything to bother me. :PB);)

• Members

Hi Bubbles. I am going to weigh in here, as a senior board member and as a moderator. I have been with TT for about, oh 3 1/2 years now. I am a major 'contributor' to this board writing articles, doing podcasts, reviewing, etc. I do what I do here for the love of TooTImid, for the respect of Rob, Chad and Meg and all who work here, for the love of the posters and my fellow board members of TT - NOT for 'recognition' of my work. Sure, I like to hear that someone liked my article, or that my advice helped someone. We all like that, but it is more important for me to help people, other than worrying about credit.

You say in here that you like to run thing 'on your own' most of the time. I understand this comment, as I am very independent too. However, the thing is, this is not your board. This is not my board. This board is owned and run by Rob and Chad and they have some people in place that handle certain things (like the photo section or the review section) and these people would probably be a little, teeny bit upset if you start running over their sections without consulting them. Not to mention that Rob is the boss here and everything (as you mentioned) has to be run through him. Hell, I have been here all this time and STILL run all my article ideas past him for approval!

Finally, writing is a touching thing. It is hard to ascertain a tone in an email or a post. Some of what I am reading from you DOES sound sort of rude and condescending. I am sure you do not mean it that way, but just to be aware that it can and does sound that way sometimes. Everyone has this issue - myself included. Just be wary of how you write things!

I am glad there is a 'contest' coordinator here, but remember this board belongs to no single person and the overall harmony of TT is what everyone who loves and cares for the members of TT in general strives for!

• Members
Now this would invole photoshop or some kind of program but how about some kind of collage? There would be a size restriction and other rules we could come up with as well as a specific theme..Ideas? What you think?

Is there something missing here? What are we talking about? What kind of pics etc? Sorry if I am a little "SLOW" :lol:

• Members

Thanks Tyger, Mik and everyone for your clarifications. And, I have to agree. We have "designated"people set in place to help run things here. This is a community, a support group, an education well. Not a billboard for individual recognition. I want you to know that I appreciate your efforts to keep things lively on the board and making contests an active part of OUR community.

Hello Members,

Ok, I admit that I have not had time to read all these entries but just browsing them I can feel the tension in the air! Ok, can't wall just get along! :) I love the passion in everyone, let's just be careful we don't make a mountain out of an ant hill. So, be nice. It's Friday!

Bubbles has been asking to run contests for a long time now. I have put her off many, many times. I knew I would not have time to run some of these and I just asked her to run with it. She is not trying to step on anyone's toes and it is my fault for not letting her know that photo contests are handled by GingerJ. A photo contest idea never came up and I didn't even think about letting her know this. IMHO, she is just trying to help and make the board more fun.

If you have your own special contest you would like to run, let me know and we can switch out contests. Thanks for listening. Now go play nice. :)

Rob

• Review Team

Tyger "And, if you've been at the "poor end of the stick", then you will know how some of the people feel, when you seem to use other's ideas (though you may not be aware of their idea was first), and take credit for them."

Ginger "Not a billboard for individual recognition"

I was mearly staing it is nice to know people liked your contest you ran. In no way was that suggesting that I was stealing an idea. An idea is normally put there to use; if people like what happens if it is ran as a contest it is not the idea itself normally that is recognized it is the contest as a whole. To my knowledge it would include who came up with the idea and who ran it. So I am confused if it is not a place to give recognition in a sort then why does it matter if people for example use an idea, would it matter?

Is it bad to wan't people to acknowledge something you have spent alot of time doing? I don't feel it is wrong to give anyone recognition who have done the work to run a contest. I am sure many of you have spent hours of your personal time to make fun events for everyone, and it makes you feel good knowing they at least liked the work you put into it.

I am not going to turn this into a drama thread. I did not want to make it so but I do feel that if there are specific areas people cover when doing contests there should be titles or an area made for everyone to know so this doesnt happen in the future. I only wanted to run contests and waited some time to do so.

Lets not argue about it please, I only was doing this for the fun of everyone and I already see drama that I don't wan't to be a part of and have it ruin what I was setting out to do, which was fun contests. I appologise if I came off wrong to anyone like I siad it was not intended to be that way.

• Members

This was merely a miscommunication.

Bubbles, thanks for the PM's. We're all straight on the matter. So lets move on ;)

Happy Friday everyone! ;)

• Members

Bubbles~ We much appericate alll the work that you ave put in so far (the scavenger hunt was really alot of fun). And I know that as much as I'd love to take on a role like this, i just don't have the time some days so kudos to you. May I make a suggestion? Create a thread for feed back on contests, that way you know if we like how your running things, and we know our voices are being heard on this. And there are a bunch of really great contest ideas already offered up, some more invovled than others but still fun. I personally don't get invovled in the photo contests i think they are a bit too hard for me, ut I love teh writing stuff and the what would you dos. Thanks hun.

• Members

Can't we all just get along?????

Just so everyone is clear, I thought the scavenger hunt was great - very creative and fun to find the answers. Hell, I thought I knew them all and STILL got some wrong. We are all grateful and had a lot of fun.

I guess I was just suprised that there was a 'contest girl' - as ROb usually posts a 'let's welcome *name here* as our moderator on the *insert thread here*' post - and he didn't this time. So, it threw me for a loop.

I am most sure that it was a sincere miscommunication, which is easy to do on emails or any type of written word. Trust me, as an English professor I am well versed in the 'I didn't mean that.....' issue.

Happy Weekend to ALL!

• Review Team

I am glad you liked the hunt and thanks for the posts :) I have been in PM's with Ginger and others today and to my knowledge have sorted things out and it would be cool if thats the way things are ran to be a "contest girl" or moderator :) Poor Rob has alot on his plate most the time and seems like a busy man :) I am always all ears for new things to learn. And if anyone has any interest clan-bge.com is the website and forum I run. I do alot there (Almost everything) and alot of my time is spent running the Clan and moderating and dealing with issues, game servers, and our cash. Pretty much anything they can make me do :) Heck I had to much to do I even handed some over to members and my hubby to take care of, so I know how it is when communications can go wrong sometimes.

Can't we all just get along?????

Just so everyone is clear, I thought the scavenger hunt was great - very creative and fun to find the answers. Hell, I thought I knew them all and STILL got some wrong. We are all grateful and had a lot of fun.

I guess I was just suprised that there was a 'contest girl' - as ROb usually posts a 'let's welcome *name here* as our moderator on the *insert thread here*' post - and he didn't this time. So, it threw me for a loop.

I am most sure that it was a sincere miscommunication, which is easy to do on emails or any type of written word. Trust me, as an English professor I am well versed in the 'I didn't mean that.....' issue.

Happy Weekend to ALL!

Maybe Rob should run an "app" to see who would like to be the Contest Moderator? Or maybe putting it to a vote?? Just a thought.

• Members
Maybe Rob should run an "app" to see who would like to be the Contest Moderator? Or maybe putting it to a vote?? Just a thought.

I think that would be a good idea, and if we get a moderator, then maybe we could get other contest runners? and rotate? more like the review team. And if we have a subject contest, like the short story, we'll have a panel of judges to picka winner. I also definitely think we need a way to give feed back that will help grow the contest program. That way if this happens again and there is some kind of a dispute it can be moderated a little easier. Also if there are other review members (who wouldn't be eligable for prizes) can give an unbiased opinion.

• Review Team
I think that would be a good idea, and if we get a moderator, then maybe we could get other contest runners? and rotate? more like the review team. And if we have a subject contest, like the short story, we'll have a panel of judges to picka winner. I also definitely think we need a way to give feed back that will help grow the contest program. That way if this happens again and there is some kind of a dispute it can be moderated a little easier. Also if there are other review members (who wouldn't be eligable for prizes) can give an unbiased opinion.

I talked it over with Ginger and wrote about it to Rob that it woul dbe a good idea to do a private forum for moderators to discuss things together behind the scenes if need be. I do that with my gaming clan and it works very well. Haing a list in private forums of guidelines for moderators for certian things would be beneficial as well.

• Members
I talked it over with Ginger and wrote about it to Rob that it woul dbe a good idea to do a private forum for moderators to discuss things together behind the scenes if need be. I do that with my gaming clan and it works very well. Haing a list in private forums of guidelines for moderators for certian things would be beneficial as well.

Sounds good to me, just remember to take teh concerns of us lowly members to heart, so that way EVERYONE will be happy!

AWW! There are NO lowly members here, darlin'! We love you all! :kiss: