Official Community Forums Home

Not As I Had Planned

kjellis

• Members

The 2 of us had been dating for a few years already. She was still in university. I was in the 4th year of my apprenticeship. She was away for a 8 month co-op work term across the country. With 4 time zones between us for 8 months I really missed her. So 3 months into the co-op, I decide that I have to see her. So I head out for a 4 day weekend she had off. We had a great time together. It was hard to leave to go back to work. So 3 months after (Now it is Oct), I take a full week and go out to see her again. We had a blast and went out on a road trip together. Midway thru that trip, I knew that I wanted to be with her forever.

So when I get back home I start ring shopping. Took me a solid month to find what I knew she would want. She doesn't like anything with a tall setting or thin bands. This one was perfect. So I buy it and take it home. Well about 3 days before she was coming home (which happened to be 2 weeks before Christmas), I am woke up at 2am by the sound of the smoke detector. At the time I was renting a suite in a house. Some electrical in the walls caught on fire. But smoldered in the walls rather than bursting into flames. So the place filled with smoke. I remember jumping up, throwing on some heavy jogging pants, sweater and a coat. Just before bolting to the door I scoop the bag with her ring in it and go.

The short of it was that it was mostly smoke damage in the suite. But I couldn't live there till it was cleaned up a bit. And then found out that the City, since this was a 115 year old house, was going to make the owner bring stuff up to code. So I left to find a new place. When my soon to be wife came back she came with me to clear my stuff out and move it to my new place. When we were just about to take the last box, I asked her to check if I left anything in the bathroom. This gave me enough time to sneak the ring out of it's box and wait for her to come out. As she came out the door she said "I didn't find anything". So I said I did and showed her the ring.

I really don't remember what I said to her. My heart was about to pound out of my chest. I was so worried that the diamond wasn't big enough or what if she didn't feel the same way? Sure the ring has a 100% refund policy, but I would be crushed. I think I said something along the lines of "Being away from you for so long has made me realize that I don't ever want to let you go. I will love you forever if you will be my wife".

I didn't get a yes right away. She wrapped her arms around my neck and when she finally looked up with a few tears on her cheek she said yes.

Really I had planned to take her on a walk and half way thru go to take her hand so she could feel the ring in my palm. But till this day I am always ribbed about why a smoky apartment would be my choice of venue :lol: I say I don't care. I got the girl didn't I? ;)

Important Information

Terms of Use & Privacy Policy