Official Community Forums Home

Bi-sexuality And Gender Of Regular Friends

square

• Members

There are women in the world who seem to have a lot of guy friends, and not so many girl friends (just regular friends here, not romantic interests). And other women who seem to have a lot of girl friends, and not so many guy friends.

Just wondering if there is any correlation between being one way or the other and having bi-sexual tendencies.

Any thoughts?

My wife is bi-sexual, and tends to have more girl friends than guy. One woman I know through work seems to have more guy friends than girl, and I don't know how we got on the subject, but she has mentioned she has no bi-sexual tendencies.

• Members

I think it is just personality really... I have tons of girlfriends, and a few guy friends. I have a friend who is a lesbian and she is mostly friends with other lesbians...

BUT I also have a gay, guy friend who mostly hangs out w/ women! I think it is all relevant to who makes you the most comfortable! :)

• Like 1

• Review Team

I have never had many female friends but am at the very least bi-curious, so I guess I mess up your theory. :)

• Members

The wife and I went through a small list of women we know last night, and came up with a couple that were bi but had mostly male friends. Others did seem to follow this "theory." So, agreed, the theory isn't very strong. But maybe there is a loose, rough, general trend in that direction?

• Members

I don't think it has much to do with your sexual orientation so much as just who you are more comfortable with. Was just discussing this with my oldest daughter awhile ago.....she has more guy friends that she likes to hang out with more than girl friends but that's just because she has more in common with them....she wants to have fun and actually DO things, gets into action flicks and video games and although she always looks like a Barbie doll she has no patience for girls (young women now) who won't do anything because they are afraid of getting their hair or make-up messed up, or worrying about what they'll look like. It's about who you feel a connection with and can trust.

• Members

I can see how some people would appear to be like this - comfortable with the like-minded - so to speak.

I, however, am bi-sexual (and have had a relationship with a woman) but have more 'male' friends than female. Now, it is important to note that some of these friends used to be sexual interests and did end up as friends (interest from either side) but others I have just as friends.

I think people like to be around people like them - no matter what the sex of those people. Also, 'new lesbians' or those who are not too sure about it, tend to gravitate towards those 'in the know' to learn and decide. At least I have seen that experience.

• Members

I consider myself bisexual, and I've really only had 2 female friends in my life... all the others have been male.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Although both my husband and I are Bi, I don't think that our orientation has anything to do with how many friends of the same sex we have. We have some some close friends that are just that friends of both sexes, we also have numerous like minded friends that we get intimate with. Both my husband and I are fortunate in that we are in a 30 yr marriage and we are openly honest about our sexual exploits. 

• Like 1

I had more guy friends earlier in life. Only 3 that I'm still friends with (& only 1 of those I'd slept with).

For me, my close friends list is pretty small. I have a lot if people I'm friendly with, and could hang out with, female and male. But I tend to prefer male friends due to less drama. 

Since I'm regrettably in the closet due to work, I can't be fully open with myself, which hinders the wanting to hang out with people from work. I refuse to leave my GF out of as much of stuff as possible.  When people ask, I tell them she's my BFF, which is also true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I tend to prefer male friends too. Here I was wondering if I was odd for thinking that my male friends get me more!

i don't think it has to do with sexual orientation. It's more about your personality and experiences. Some women don't get along with other women, because they have had bad experiences with female friendships.

• 1 month later...