Official Community Forums Home

Metrosexual Or Gay

ladylove

• Members

Another ladies lunch another question.

I have never had any gay-dar (except for the very obvious) probably because it's just not that important to me. In recent discussions, with both single and married friends, we are hard pressed to distinguish between a Manly Metrosexual or a Manly Gay Man, or sometimes even the man who hides behind heterosexuality from fear. As a married women it's not imperative, but for some of the divorced women it's a real issue. We just can't tell. How about some input from TT's all knowing. How do you know? How can you tell?

• Members

OH LL, this is so not an easy situation. How do you know? You ask.

If you are talking about being able to tell 'across the bar' - that is not always so easy. In a time where the lines of hetero / homosexual are blurred, it is not easy to figure it out all the time. Some men are totally, 100% hetero, some are 100% homosexual, not many are truly bi-sexual (for men, that is not the norm, most align one way or another) and sometimes you can't tell. If you see a man kissing another man, then you probably know for sure, but short of that - it is hard to tell.

• Members

I have a friend who once defined "Metrosexual" as "a man that uses moisturizer". I like that definition. So in my mind a man can be metro *and* gay. Or metro *and* straight. Or metro *and* bi. Maybe they don't even have a pre-defined sexual preference? I think metro is more about appearance and personal hygiene than it is about sex.

• Members

A metro guy is one who fusses over his physical being almost like a women does. It has nothing to do with sexual preference. Males who don't have the stereotypical interests are not viewed as metro they are just highly evolved :P .

It become a problem when some of the women are meeting men in general situations, not in a bar type atmosphere, and are unsure. One women, a physician, was at a meeting and met a man from out of the area. She talk to him, his body language is unclear and she was clueless. She found the whole experience somewhat frustrating. Others have had comparable experiences, hence the question.

My ex hubby was "metro" LOL He used more hair spray on his hair than I did/do!!! And I have always had long hair!! LMAO

• Members

Males who don't have the stereotypical interests are not viewed as metro they are just highly evolved :P .

HA! 'highly evolved'! When I get to 'go down south', I'm an un-evolved beast...call me a 'lap dog'! As for my grooming style, I'd call my self an 'old hippie'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HA! 'highly evolved'! When I get to 'go down south', I'm an un-evolved beast...call me a 'lap dog'! As for my grooming style, I'd call my self an 'old hippie'.

LOL! I loved highly evolved beastly men, I married one. :P

Don't know how I missed this.

• Like 1

• Members

Just a rhetorical question for men in general: Why would a woman want / need / have to know this?

Just being a woman who likes knowing and categorizing or because of some interest she has in him?

How about asking straight out .... I know, not tactful, too open, etc.

• Members

To be more clear on the last, I mean this is addressed to women, shed some light on this for themen here.

• Review Team

To be more clear on the last, I mean this is addressed to women, shed some light on this for themen here.

I am not really sure, unless it is a single woman trying to determine what her "options" are, so-to-speak.

• Members

It was a discussion held in reference for who to approach and, and who not to 'waist' their time with by my single friends. For some the dating world is a zoo with way to many option, for others it's the desert. Does that answer your question?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I have always had the experience of being mistaken for gay. Since I was 14 years old I have had people ask if I was gay. I have men hit on me more than women. Being a heterosexual man I find the experience interesting. It is flattering to be hit on by both men and women, although I kindly turn down the men. I am fascinated with women. I tend to dress well with bright colors. I keep body hair shaved/trimmed. I do not use hair products. I love musicals, the arts and am not into sports. I love language and would rather have someone talk to me than just show me. Does this make me metrosexual? I would never classify myself as metrosexual. Yet at the same time I realize that there are many people who see me in a different light. The bottom line, I think people often pre-judge based on appearances and cultural norms before taking the time to talk to the person that is in question.

• Like 2