Official Community Forums Home

Feedback Needed

Rob

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to seek your opinion on something. When complaints are made against a post (or poster), would you like to see me delete the post, close the topic, warn the poster?

As always, I appreciate your feedback!

Rob

• Members

I would probably say warn the poster. Sometimes people respond first when they are in hot head mode. I have learned if it is a heated subject I won't reply quickly as sometimes yes it may cause a problem. Only thing I should say as it should be warranted as I know some of us clash no matter what the topic is. Part of that is what keeps the board interesting as it shows varying views. With this I have a question is there a way to keep someone from having more than one profile as I have a high suspicion this is happening.

• Like 1

• Members

definitely warn the poster, because sometimes you just don't think. I'm the first to say i've been there and done that. But if you either keep getting coimplaints, or if there are multiple people definitely yank the post. if the poster keeps it up, lock 'em out. The board has a great vibe going right now, and I don't want to see that change! I may not log in but I visit! Chin up rob, in the end nothing we do or say is life altering. This is a great community where people can come to get new ideas or facts. We all need to take a deep breath, remember that the varying points of view, no matter how different or upseting they may be are what makes us great!

• Like 2

• Members

I agree with first warning the poster. Sometimes we need to step back, and think about what we want to say. I know if it's a subject that I feel strongly about, I wait to post. Then I find someone else says what I'm thinking. Or I choose to say it in a different way, so it's less...inflammatory. If those posts continue however, I believe that you have no choice but to block the post and/or the poster.

Thanks for asking our opinion, Rob. That means a lot!

• Like 1

• Review Team

Yep, my girls are on track! :) I never doubted it for a minute!

I say, warn the poster, and even a warning within a thread that things are not going the way they should, could help. Sometimes people react quickly and without thinking. A reminder that we are all adults and need to be respectful of one another can be helpful. If a thread continues to go off-track, close it. I would say don't totally delete it (unless it crosses a legal line) because a closed threat can serve to show others what will happen if things get out of line, and also serve as an example of what will not be tolerated. I am not real sure blocking a poster does much good as it is too easy to just create another profile. Yes, there are probably really techincal ways to keep that from happening, but do you really want to spend your time and other resources on that? That one would obviously be up to you, Rob. :)

Thanks for asking for our input. It is much appreciated. :kiss:

• Like 1

• Review Team

Let me add: Just when a poster is truly offensive, or a thread needs to be closed, can be a tricky decision to make. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and as long as they are expressed with respect, we should be free to make them. When someone says something that is, well, stupid, it reflects poorly on that person and soon other posters learn whose opinions to value and whose not to concern themselves with. There are also times that a person will have a very different view from the majority because of life experiences or whatever, and again, as long as respect is shown, this type of view can be helpful. If one person feels a certain way, the odds are good others do, even if they don't voice it. Keep it legal, respectful, and adult. That should be simple enough, although I know it is asking too much sometimes, and that is why Rob as the magic button of LOCK. :)

• Members

I think you should let the poster know. If this doesn't work close the topic and/or delete it.

If a spcific poster is constantly inciting negativity and arguing etc.. I would think it's in your best interest to block the user. No one wants to come to a place where there is ALWAYS problems and drama.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Are there really threatening or obnoxious posts/threads here ?

Its a given I have only been here less then a week, so I havent read through everything, but I do belong to a couple of sports message boards, and there the topics get down heated and very mean spirited as most of the people involved are men with some very knowledgeable sports minded women. But the discussion there happens to get pretty ugly on occasion. But it really does take quite a bit to get banned or even deletion of a thread/post.

And as others have already stated, the banned poster if so chooses, only chooses a new screen name and returns.

Personally, I would just go with a stern warning maybe even a withdrawal of posting rights if a repeated offense happened.

JMO on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd say go with warn-the-poster first; lock the topic if overly heated; delete the offensive posts only if they are way over the top. Each situation will be a little different, so one size will not fit all.

But things may not always be clear cut: If one person throws a dart, and another comes back with a hand grenade, and maybe a third peson launches a full scale nuclear attack, which one do you chastise?

• Like 1

• Members

Are there really threatening or obnoxious posts/threads here ?

Not very often, but it does happen from time to time. Some topic or comment will touch a nerve with someone, and things will escalate. In one case there was someone who was sending some pretty nasty private messages to people, and that person was made to go bye-bye.

• Members

Yep, my girls are on track! :) I never doubted it for a minute!

I say, warn the poster, and even a warning within a thread that things are not going the way they should, could help. Sometimes people react quickly and without thinking. A reminder that we are all adults and need to be respectful of one another can be helpful. If a thread continues to go off-track, close it. I would say don't totally delete it (unless it crosses a legal line) because a closed threat can serve to show others what will happen if things get out of line, and also serve as an example of what will not be tolerated. I am not real sure blocking a poster does much good as it is too easy to just create another profile. Yes, there are probably really techincal ways to keep that from happening, but do you really want to spend your time and other resources on that? That one would obviously be up to you, Rob. :)

Thanks for asking for our input. It is much appreciated. :kiss:

Both 'square' and LadyLove made some valid points with which I concur. On another site I'm on once I made a rather disparaging remark about someones post and found myself being called a 'flamer'. I didn't even know the meaning of this word till I did some research on the net. I was given a WARNING and if it happened again in 6 months (and right down to the minute too I might add) I would be banned forever. But I would think definitely a Warning to the offender would be in order. Sometimes just locking a thread where no new posts can be made other than the highest ranking admins is all that's needed.

I think in this aspect that Rob shows incredible maturity and diplomacy and I wish I were in some respects more like him. I'm sure my day to day life would be a lot smoother.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hahaha...Nice Played "E"... ;)

• Members

See Ready if you knew more of the past Em was one of the ones that had more than one profile. I am not looking to start a battle about this but just saying as she was the one I was referring to in that post above from almost 5 months ago.

• Members

That is why I said it was something from a few months ago and was not looking for a confrontation about it. That was all.

• Like 1

• Members

Exactly!

I think a warning at first, then suspension of a person's ability to post for a certain number of days as a second step. Last step would be to ban them. Everyone says stuff that others may take offense to here and there. I don't think that something mistook from one person should warrant a warning. I mean right out there, in your face insulting/disrespecting.

As far as past bad posters, yes there was one person that I know of that was banned, but that person got a couple of warnings, a temporary suspension, and continued their poor behavior before getting banned. That poster was given every opportunity to rein themselves in, and they chose not to do so. It takes a lot to get banned, and Rob never does so lightly. In fact, that poster is the only one that I know of that was an active member (and not a spammer) that got banned.

I don't think there's anything preventing someone from having more than one profile, so long as they use a different e-mail or something. If it's not a problem on the board, I don't see an issue with it.

Overall, I have found that this board is pretty easy going, especially since some of the topics on here can get a bit controvertial and heated. Except for spammers, I have come to respect each poster in their own way.

Thanks to Rob & all his staff for the hard work they put into the board for their website, to encourage adult discussions about sex.

• Members

Another option might be to temporarily lock a thread until tempers simmer down, maybe for a couple of days or a week.

Maybe things would just boil over on another thread, but I've noticed more than once that the same people who are cyber-bludgeoning each other to death on one thread can have a more-or-less civil conversation on another thread AT THE SAME TIME. Cracks me up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I would probably say warn the poster. Sometimes people respond first when they are in hot head mode. I have learned if it is a heated subject I won't reply quickly as sometimes yes it may cause a problem. Only thing I should say as it should be warranted as I know some of us clash no matter what the topic is. Part of that is what keeps the board interesting as it shows varying views. With this I have a question is there a way to keep someone from having more than one profile as I have a high suspicion this is happening.

Well it's NOT ME shortstuff......one profile is more than enuf 4 me. And while I am not offended by your post I know I've been a bit hostile at times thru the years. I'm quite mellow today and very relaxed. :D I for one would greatly appreciate a Warning over just getting banned forever. No doubt I would just make myself scarce for a few months and drop by when I'm calm and collected. Life is too short to get all riled up over stupid stuff. :D

• Members

i'm aware you were referring to me, i used that account several months ago when i did not have the password to this one. i have openly stated multiple times that both are my account, and used the same profile picture for both so there was no mystery about it. i have never used an account to "agree with myself" or gang up on people in threads (no that this comment is directed toward anyone)

That's funny cuz I thot ss was talkin' 'bout me.......:D I must be feeling guilty about something tho I don't know what it would be...*scratches head*

• Members

I'd almost forgotten about Howard. I really miss his insights into people and the act of sexual and romantic love that he was so well versed in. Yall should have seen the look on my face when he told me he was an Attorney. Priceless!! He's only the second attorney I ever talked to in my life that I liked.

Wherever you are Howard4570 a few of us will continue to remember you and wish you good will.

• Members

I'd almost forgotten about Howard. I really miss his insights into people and the act of sexual and romantic love that he was so well versed in. Yall should have seen the look on my face when he told me he was an Attorney. Priceless!! He's only the second attorney I ever talked to in my life that I liked.

Wherever you are Howard4570 a few of us will continue to remember you and wish you good will.

Was that E's alternate screen name...Just curious, I wasnt on these forums at the time...

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of Use & Privacy Policy