Official Community Forums Home

God bless Texas

tiedupnaked33

• Members

The only thing between major death toll and minimal is the people. I not impressed with

federal response.

• Members

I would suggest you change the TV station.

I just watched a bunch of Blackhawk helicopters rescuing people in Beaumont. Looked like a war zone there were so many. They were everywhere. Customs, National Guard.....

I saw a long line of air-boats and boats coming it, all belonging to the Fish & Game. 

The support of the people, is truly impressive, but that is how it always is. The Cajun Navy, and just people who own boats, who open up their businesses and homes, all those who do what they can do. 

Yup. God Bless Texas! 

• Like 1

This is a post I did on FB:

There's been a lot of criticism for why Houston wasn't evacuated because of all of the flooding.....Let me explain this to you all that don't live here, and haven't experienced this:
This is a no win situation. Houston is built with a lot of concrete, steel, more concrete, and metal. 
There are bayous that are here, fill up, because they're always full of water, so they fill up fast. 
Then, what dirt/ditches they DO have, is full of "gumbo", which is a non-absorbent type of clay, that doesn't do much good at all. It's what most of East Texas sits on! 
Under the gumbo, is usually hard-assed bedrock!! You have to drill down far and deep to get to it in many places too!
People were warned as quickly as they could have been! It was ALL over the news for a week! This storm was all over the place, and there's no way to predict which county was going to get what rain, 
There is no way to move 5 million people in a timely fashion, even if you he'd been given 2 week's notice. Most wouldn't have left, because that's just a ridiculous idea!!!
If nothing had happen and they had moved all those people, all the state agencies would have criticized for that too. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation!
Besides, for those of you that don't remember Rita, which followed in the path of Katrina.....Houston was stretched to the limit trying to help those poor souls from LA that were displaced, then we had Rita hit!!! People were stranded on the highways, running out of gas, suffering from dehydration, heat stroke, and cars breaking down left and right! Imagine if all of those cars were on the highways, stuck. They would have drown!!!!
At this time, I have heard on the news that there has only been 5 deaths due to Harvey. With all of the people in this area, Houston, and all of its metros, that is an AMAZING (yet sad) figure!! Extremely low.....
There was NO way of predicting how fast and full everything got!! There was NO way to prevent all of this. The way the ground is, and the way Houston is, there's no way. 
After Rita and Ike, there have been MANY improvements on flood control!!! I've seen them. Deeper culverts, runoffs, and ditches. More runoff holding "ponds". People digging their culverts out more, and keeping them cleaner. Trees being trimmed a lot further away from power lines, making sure people don't lose power as easily. People taking warnings more seriously, stocking up, and leaving when they should. No body really jokes about it anymore as far as "it's another false alarm". 
Neighbors help neighbors. Is there looters? Yes. Are their idiots, absolutely. But it's really no different than any other state with other disasters. 
You can second guess and criticize all you want, but trust me, as picky as I am, and how stupid I think some people can be, this state's people have done a fantastic job with what they've been dealt so far.
Don't judge unless you've actually been thru it.......here......in Texas.

Now, this is my addition for on here:

There have been an enormous amount of people coming from in and out of state helping out and volunteering. Local and state officials have made a HUGE deal out of the fact that there wouldn't have been as many rescues possible without the use of private individuals using their own personal boats and big trucks to get people out! 

The local and federal government was already to come out and help out as soon as it was possible to do so! There were people going out during the heaviest of rains! They did have to shut things down at night due to lack of sight. Water makes EVERYTHING darker and more dangerous......especially in a state that not only has poisonous snakes, spiders, alligators, and fire ants!

The amount of people here is hard to fathom. Let me enlighten you:

see the pic below.......

21192125_10209629675129898_6088545937603225368_n.jpg

I'm not from Texas at all. I am, at times, overly critical and somewhat cynical when it comes to the goodness of some people. However, I am FULLY impressed with everyone's help, the government's response, the lack of prejudices involved (though I've seen a lot of hate such as "that will teach you for voting for Trump Texas!"), and the support of neighbors helping neighbors, and strangers helping other strangers!

God Bless Texas!!!!

Guest Crazy Cat

Wow I had no idea How many people lived in Houston. God Bless Texas Indeed! Yes disasters bring out the stupidity in people. But I am always amazed by the love of humanity as well. Praying that all are helped. Two and Four legged. 😺

• Members
9 hours ago, Tyger said:

There's been a lot of criticism for why Houston wasn't evacuated because of all of the flooding.....Let me explain this to you all that don't live here, and haven't experienced this:
This is a no win situation. Houston is built with a lot of concrete, steel, more concrete, and metal. 
There are bayous that are here, fill up, because they're always full of water, so they fill up fast. 
Then, what dirt/ditches they DO have, is full of "gumbo", which is a non-absorbent type of clay, that doesn't do much good at all. It's what most of East Texas sits on! 
Under the gumbo, is usually hard-assed bedrock!! You have to drill down far and deep to get to it in many places too!
People were warned as quickly as they could have been! It was ALL over the news for a week! This storm was all over the place, and there's no way to predict which county was going to get what rain, 
There is no way to move 5 million people in a timely fashion, even if you he'd been given 2 week's notice. Most wouldn't have left, because that's just a ridiculous idea!!!
If nothing had happen and they had moved all those people, all the state agencies would have criticized for that too. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation!
Besides, for those of you that don't remember Rita, which followed in the path of Katrina.....Houston was stretched to the limit trying to help those poor souls from LA that were displaced, then we had Rita hit!!! People were stranded on the highways, running out of gas, suffering from dehydration, heat stroke, and cars breaking down left and right! Imagine if all of those cars were on the highways, stuck. They would have drown!!!!
At this time, I have heard on the news that there has only been 5 deaths due to Harvey. With all of the people in this area, Houston, and all of its metros, that is an AMAZING (yet sad) figure!! Extremely low.....
There was NO way of predicting how fast and full everything got!! There was NO way to prevent all of this. The way the ground is, and the way Houston is, there's no way. 
After Rita and Ike, there have been MANY improvements on flood control!!! I've seen them. Deeper culverts, runoffs, and ditches. More runoff holding "ponds". People digging their culverts out more, and keeping them cleaner. Trees being trimmed a lot further away from power lines, making sure people don't lose power as easily. People taking warnings more seriously, stocking up, and leaving when they should. No body really jokes about it anymore as far as "it's another false alarm". 
Neighbors help neighbors. Is there looters? Yes. Are their idiots, absolutely. But it's really no different than any other state with other disasters. 
You can second guess and criticize all you want, but trust me, as picky as I am, and how stupid I think some people can be, this state's people have done a fantastic job with what they've been dealt so far.

There have been an enormous amount of people coming from in and out of state helping out and volunteering. Local and state officials have made a HUGE deal out of the fact that there wouldn't have been as many rescues possible without the use of private individuals using their own personal boats and big trucks to get people out! 

The local and federal government was already to come out and help out as soon as it was possible to do so! There were people going out during the heaviest of rains! They did have to shut things down at night due to lack of sight. Water makes EVERYTHING darker and more dangerous......especially in a state that not only has poisonous snakes, spiders, alligators, and fire ants!

see the pic below.......

I'm not from Texas at all. I am, at times, overly critical and somewhat cynical when it comes to the goodness of some people. However, I am FULLY impressed with everyone's help, the government's response, the lack of prejudices involved (though I've seen a lot of hate such as "that will teach you for voting for Trump Texas!"), and the support of neighbors helping neighbors, and strangers helping other strangers!

God Bless Texas!!!!

Just seems like it took a week for Fed. to get it's shit together. I'm sure The white house will confirm it was the greatest rescue in innerplanetery history. {pardon spelling, I suck} God Bless the Volunteers they are the real heroes . If death toll stays small I congratulate all. Pleanty time for blame when the partisan bickering over aid gets its full head of steam. Just don't take a fucking dime away from the "The Wall of Shame". Will it have a trump logo every hundred miles? Gold?

• Members
15 hours ago, Kinkster said:

I would suggest you change the TV station.

I just watched a bunch of Blackhawk helicopters rescuing people in Beaumont. Looked like a war zone there were so many. They were everywhere. Customs, National Guard.....

I saw a long line of air-boats and boats coming it, all belonging to the Fish & Game. 

The support of the people, is truly impressive, but that is how it always is. The Cajun Navy, and just people who own boats, who open up their businesses and homes, all those who do what they can do. 

Yup. God Bless Texas! 

I watch FoxNews, as much as I can tolerate, CNN, MSNBC.  All that stuff you mention is happening now. It has been a week. Maybe I expect too much. People in trouble I want to hear bugles. Do we still have hospital ships? If so I want them off the coast of Texas. Mexico just make the prez. look like an ass. They are helping in Texas. They helped in Katrina and after 9/11. I think there was more. Good neighbors. Too bad fema people not coordinating volunteers.  You mentioned Cajun navy. Just saw them in action. Reporter asked one what is Cajun Navy. "Hell I don't know they started calling us that in Katrina. I wish I was there with my 11.3 foot bass boat with its massive 1 hp motor rescuing three people at a time,racing them to safety at an incredible 3 mph.

I'll talk to you later. We will have to agree to diss.

• Members

Well....I don't know what you would expect. The first in folks, are always the locals. They live there. The Feds.....do not.

Katrina should have been a reminder, that the Feds are certainly are never the first ones in, and you better have your own plan and not wait around for them. And, as the people of Texas and Louisiana show and are still showing, they learned that.  God Bless 'em. 

So yeah....not a political site, so I'll leave it at that. 

• Members
15 hours ago, Tyger said:

see the pic below.......

God Bless Texas!!!!

Being from Montana I am very proud of my state for our quick to respond nature. Especially being a state of barely over 1million people.  On another note. My wife's brother lives in Katy, and it doesn't look good for them. They moved to higher ground on Sunday but their house was right in the path of the area where the water from the dam was released. My brother in law fears the worst. His two step daughters and families are in the same situation. Even though were up here in Montana, our hearts have been in Texas the past week.  I have a cousin , a Navy Pilot,  stationed in Tampa that has been delivering supplies by way of  helicopter to people in need.

• 2 years later...