Official Community Forums Home

Contemplating a new "adventure"

LolitaRivers

• Members

Though I am currently in a relationship, it isn't the best relationship for me to actually stay in because the guy I am with is emotionally abusive towards me, and isn't willing to even admit that he is. I've recently been talking to a friend I met through a mutual friend of both of us, and I am seriously considering taking the chance at a shot at real happiness. How do I know if the person I am speaking to is worth the potential heart ache?

• Members

I am not a fan or any type of abuse. Emotional abuse cuts so much deeper than anything. I feel for your pain. I would encourage you to think about strengthening yourself, being confident and assertive. True happiness starts with yourself. I would be cautious entering into a relationship with someone other than the person you are currently with until your current relationship ends. I would hate to hear that there is an increase in the abuse, shame or doubt. The only way to know if the chance is worth the heartache is by being true to yourself. I hope you make the best decision for the person you are and the person you wish to be.

• Like 2

• Members

Yes get yourself out and heal yourself before going into something else.  If that other person is worth it, they will stay a friend and help you and wait until you are ready.  You don't need to take abuse from anyone!  Good luck!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to agree with Lis.  Be careful not to jump into something else too quickly... get out quickly if it’s abusive but give yourself a little time to realize if this other one is the “ right” one.  You DONT know if he’s worth the potential heartbreak.  Love / infatuation/ lust in the beginning is ALWAYS special, always feels unique.....it’s when you get to really know the other person that things can change.  I can’t tell you, and I’m sure most people are with me, how many times I’ve been “in love” only to realize sometime down the road that the guy was really not all I thought he was.  You have to do what is best for you.  Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for you

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Everyone's responses echo mine. I do hope you got out of the abusive relationship..