Official Community Forums Home

Lillie/madeira

PanickedVanity

• Members

Well, my DH and I dated for a year before I popped the question (Yes I popped the question). Lillie's the vocalist/bass player of a band that frequently plays shows in the new york city area. We arranged for his band to be booked at a little place in Williamsburg Brooklyn for our anniversary party. I had bought the ring before planning to give it to him on our anniversary that year.

Now as with most underground bands, there's a fair amount of banter between the band and the crowd. After going into one of his little pre-song spiels "This next song is called Blissfully Dead, it's about death, any questions?"

I shouted "Lillie, will you marry me?" and pulled out the ring, which in most clubs wouldn't have worked, but as they were playing a small venue with no stage and little stage lighting he saw. For a moment he looked dumbstruck, and unsure whether he ought to go one playing, or come over to me, or just answer me from the mic. Eventually he said "We'll be back after a short break due to nuptial complications" put his bass on the stand, and came and dragged me into the coat area.

Obviously he said yes, and after a few moments of rather fantastic kissing, and some excited squealing on both our parts, he returned to finish his set.

He explained things to the crowd like this. "Before Glass Doll resumes it's set, I have an announcement to make. I just found out that I'm getting married, how about that folks? Marriage is a great institution... and I've always said I ought to be in an institution."

• Members

Congrats to both of you! That took some moxy girl!

• Members

Thanks guys. As for moxy, eh, maybe a bit, I've yelled far more vulgar things at the stage in my time *wink*

• Members

He is, very cool, and terribly sweet.

• Members

Too cute :)

Great story!

• Members

Thank you all so much, I spent far too long planning it, I had a million ideas including slipping the ring into a box of our favorite vegan icecream bars (Marry Me Bars), writing him a song (which would have been awful as I'm painfully non-musical), having one of his favorite bands ask for me from stage, in the end though, I think this was best.

• Members

Thanks ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I love it! Mind if I consider stealing the idea? My man is in an underground band as well... Though he's told me he'd kill me if I beat him to this question too! (I asked him out, which he has NEVER lived down!)

Important Information

Terms of Use & Privacy Policy