Official Community Forums Home

A Question For The Guys

hollybw

• Members

Yeah, I think that Synnir is right about the Faux chivalry. The work jerk paid for everything when we first started hanging out, then I offered to pay once and suddenly i was always broke. Or take my "date" last night I was under the impression that you ask you pay, nope. HE was expecting us to split but the waitress thought the same way I did and gave him the whole bill. HE could have paid for all of it, but he's a little less than organized with him money so I just paid. Yeah I say that he had a 50 in one pocket when he was looking for smaller bills, but rather than make her wait (they were closing) I just paid it was easier. Plus I figure now he owes me. :)

• Members
I guess that would depend on who the guy is! :D

Absolutely, which was my point ;)

I dunno Poon... maybe you just don't understand a girl's perspective on this because you ARE a genuinely chivalrous guy, but there are a lot who aren't and just go through the motions of paying for meals and such as a way to get in your pants or reinforce their masculinity to themselves; their reasons have nothing to do with respect or caring for you. They're the ones who ruin the concept of chivalry, and they're the ones I was talking about in that post you quoted.

• Members

To be fair I can see how this may have been mistaken. I took that pretty much the same way that poontang had also. To me it came off more as a "men are pigs who expect to be paid back later" statement. Glad you cleared that one up.

• Members
Rednecks? In Rolltide country? Are you kidding me??? Naaawwwww, No way!!

Ha, ha! Very funny...

Yes, there are plenty of rednecks here, as you can imagine...

However, just as one bad apple embarrassed me, another good one WAS holding the door for me when I walked into the store, and that is common here.

Luckily, that is one thing I can count on around here - it was quite a culture shock to go to the west coast and find that most do not take the time to do this, or so was my experience (please, don't everyone jump on me for saying so...). Perhaps life really is just slower here.

Also, as soon as you get outside of city limits, everyone throws a hands up to each passing driver - something I would miss if I moved away from down here.

As far as chivalry goes, maybe most women just do not expect or demand it anymore as much as we used to. As has been said before, I won't wait on someone to hold the door for me - I am completely capable. However, I do appreciate and take notice of it when it is done for me. In my opinion, it is just a matter of respect, which is the reason I hold the door for ANYone.

• Members

I had made a similar statement once and wasn't jumped on per se but more like told that it wasn't an overall true statement. That was just my experience. I was glad to hear that is wasn't as I had thought.

• Members

I would love to find a guy who would pull out my chair for me, or opena car door for me, but I think that might be dreaming. I don't want a knight in shining armor, but I'd like to at least be treated like a princess once. ;)

I was taught that you always hold the door for people, you always smile and say hello. Even when i'm in a bad mood, which I am, I try to at least treat other people as human beings and not bugs to be walked on and smashed.

• Members

Opening car doors is something that I was taught in my dating years by my mother. That is one of those things that Grandps expected of all dates for his girls and taught it to be expected of his sons. That was passed to me at least. I have come to expect it myself. I've stopped boys in the street trying to leave with my girl and made her exit and sent them on their way.

• Members

The craziest and only experience I've had with someone being a sleaze ball to me was while I was driving down the feeder and he was on the actual interstate. He honked and whistled, all while screaming cat calls from so far away. Craaazy!

My roomie's boyfriend makes sure to open every door for her, and my other roomie cannot stand it. She doesn't understand why he doesn't do it for every woman that's around and not just his girl. She believes it would mean more if he did it for every lady. I dunno what to think about that other than, she's "his girl" and that's why.

I like holding the door, but my believing it's a good deal to do is ruined when someone doesn't appreciate it. Heck yes, I'd like to hear that thank you, thank you very much. Other times I don't care, but most of the time I do. Wow, I think I just rambled on too long :-P

• Members

Though I might be able to see the roomie's bf's POV, it's just great manners after his princess!

I guess there may actually be at least one advantage to living in the south....most people are at least a little polite. Around here most people be it male or female will hold open a door or smile and say "hi" if you make eye contact in passing.....People who go out in public and don't show at least the most basic courtesy make me sick! And isn't it sad that we've come to a point where chivalry is so rare that you consider your basic acts of courtesy are all pick-up ploys?

I love the South. People down here really are a bit more polite in general. I hate being honked at or whistled at. If you like what you see, just say so, tactfully.

• Members

Honesty and tact beat the shit out of ulterior motives any day!

• Members
I love the South. People down here really are a bit more polite in general. I hate being honked at or whistled at. If you like what you see, just say so, tactfully.

This was exactly my point to begin with! :D

• 1 year later...
  • Members

.....and whats wrong with rednecks??? As I consider myself to be a mellow redneck I might have been offended initially by your response. But in an earlier thread by your answer you proved to me you're basically an idiot. As such I could give a rats ass what an idiot (like you) might think.

However sometimes when I see a gorgeous woman on the street I will swerve my truck so long as I am doing less than 30MPH (very tight frontend). I don't honk or yell but sometimes it's just fun to swerve. In some cases the tailgater slows down and backs off. But if they creep back up on me I just slow down more. Tailgating is dangerous.

• 8 years later...