Official Community Forums Home

How To Use A Condom

Tyger

Taken from the Trojan website:

It’s simple to use a condom, but using it incorrectly can lead to condom slippage or breakage, which reduces its effectiveness! So here are the four basic things to know about using a condom.

Before Sex:

1. Use a condom every time. Use a new condom for every sexual act. If the penis has a foreskin, pull it back before putting on the condom.

2. Put condom on before foreplay and before the penis gets near any body opening (to help avoid exposure to any body fluid that can carry infection.) Always handle condoms gently. Put the condom on as soon as the penis is hard/erect. Be sure the rolled-up ring is on the outside. And leave space at the tip to hold semen when you "cum."

3. Squeeze the tip gently so no air is trapped inside. Hold the tip while you unroll the condom...all the way down to the hair. If the condom doesn’t unroll, it’s on wrong. Throw it away and start over with a new one.

After Sex:

4. Pull out slowly right after you cum. After ejaculation, while the penis is still erect, hold the condom firmly at the base of the penis to keep it from slipping off while withdrawing from your partner. Wrap the condom in a tissue and throw it in the trash. Don’t flush it down the toilet. Afterwards, wash your hands with soap and water or a waterless hand washing product. Never re-use a condom. Use a new condom for every new sexual act.

Helpful Hints:

* Put the condom on as soon as the penis is erect! "Pre-cum" (fluids released from the penis during the early stages of erection) can cause pregnancy or pass on an STD.

* Be careful opening the condom wrapper. Don’t use your teeth, fingernails, scissors, or other sharp objects. Be careful with jewelry, zippers, belt buckles, piercings, etc. that might tear the condom.

* Never let a latex condom touch oils in any form. No petroleum jelly, no baby oil, no mineral oil, no vegetable oil, not even talcum/baby powder. Oil causes condoms to deteriorate.

*Lubrication helps the experience. If you want additional lubrication, use a condom-safe, water-based or silicone lubricant on the outside of the condom.

* Keep condoms in their packs in a cool, dry place (not in a wallet!). Avoid exposing condoms to direct sunlight or storage for prolonged periods at temperatures above 100° F. Also, always check the date on the packaging to make sure the condom has not expired.

* If a condom feels sticky or stiff or looks damaged in any way, toss it. Use the spare that you are carrying.

* For first time users, practice with condoms before having sex with your partner. It may seem a bit awkward, but you’ll be better prepared when it comes time for the real thing.

Copyright 2006, Church & Dwight Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.

• Members

Since the weather is so damned hot, fill them with water and freeze for a cool treat!

a GREAT article, i may have missed this, but guys, don't carry it in your wallet and always store them in a cool dry location.

Great point Suz, & yes they did cover that, but it is a great point to stress!!!

When I was single, I did carry condoms in my purse. However, knowing that sometimes us women put things in our purse that we may not even really think about, I put them in a hard case (an empty Sucrets metal tin). It was discreet, nobody knew what was in it (and when asked if someone could have one, I'd tell them I just ate the last one), and the condoms were in a dry, cool, HARD container, so that they wouldn't get poked, rubbed, or stabbed. Plus, where I went, so did my purse, so it never got left in a hot car, and I knew exactly where they were if/when I needed them.

Guest eminatic
When I was single, I did carry condoms in my purse. However, knowing that sometimes us women put things in our purse that we may not even really think about, I put them in a hard case (an empty Sucrets metal tin). It was discreet, nobody knew what was in it (and when asked if someone could have one, I'd tell them I just ate the last one), and the condoms were in a dry, cool, HARD container, so that they wouldn't get poked, rubbed, or stabbed. Plus, where I went, so did my purse, so it never got left in a hot car, and I knew exactly where they were if/when I needed them.

LOL thats a good idea...i admit im guilty of usually always having one in my wallet. it would get replaced fairly often since my school is usually handing them out...

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this up since we've had a lot of newbies on the board, and many of them are young. I hope it helps.

• Members

I have used condoms, but I hate the damned things....

And If I carry them, I carry them in my pocket, pants pocket, or jacket pocket...I dont believe I have ever carried one in my wallet...

• Members

I have used condoms, but I hate the damned things....

And If I carry them, I carry them in my pocket, pants pocket, or jacket pocket...I dont believe I have ever carried one in my wallet...

I hate them too. However, I can and do see the need to use them if you are not in a committed relationship with someone who doesn't have any STD's.

I never understood the wallet thing.... to difficult to get to, a pocket is so much easier...

• Members

While clearing out my parents house I came across a small collection of antique condom tins. They use to sell them in little round metal boxes.

• Members

While clearing out my parents house I came across a small collection of antique condom tins. They use to sell them in little round metal boxes.

Seeing one of those old tines would have been fun. I'm sure by now you probably threw them away.

• Members

No, they're packed away in a box. We'll be going through the boxes in a couple of months. If you google "condom tins" it will bring up tons of photos. There was a huge variety of styles.

• Members

No, they're packed away in a box. We'll be going through the boxes in a couple of months. If you google "condom tins" it will bring up tons of photos. There was a huge variety of styles.

I did, they were fun to see.

• 2 months later...