Official Community Forums Home

Thought Provoking

Kinky Twinkie

• Members

I had just spent an hour in the bank with my father, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist asking:

"Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?"

"Why would I do that?" he replied.

"Because then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like that transfer.

You can even do your shopping online. Everything will be so easy!"

I was so excited about introducing him to the exciting world of online banking.

He thought for a minute, then answered "If I do that, I wont have to step out of the house?"

"Yes, yes" I said. I told him how even grocery can be delivered to your front door now, and how Amazon delivers everything!

His answer left me speechless.

He replied "Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends. And I have chatted for a while with the staff who know me very well by now.

You know that I am alone. This is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank. I have more than enough time, it is the physical touch that I crave.

Two years ago I got sick, The shop owner, where I buy my fruit, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried.

When your mum fell down few days ago during her morning walk, our local grocer saw her and immediately brought his car to rush her home, as he knows where I live.

Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online?

Why would I want everything delivered to me, forcing me to only interact with my computer?

I like to know the person I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds and relationships.

Does Amazon deliver all this as well?"

Technology isn't life. Spend time with people. Not with devices.

FB_IMG_1691939252226.jpg

• 3 months later...