Official Community Forums Home

Amphora: Non Hormonal Contraceptive

Guest eminatic

Guest eminatic

as some of you may remember from posts long ago, I have been following the progress of InsteadSciences and their microbicide gel Amphora for some years now. if you are not familiar, it is a contraceptive GEL that prevents pregnancy/STI's/HIV. the gel can be inserted UP TO 10 HOURS prior to sex. when I last mentioned it, they were in clinical trials abroad. After successful studies, they have now moved to testing in the US, and are applying for FDA approval. this product is still not yet available to the public, BUT you can participate in the study if you are an eligible candidate (mostly individuals in a stable relationship who are not necessarily TTC but wouldn't mind having children)

for more information on instead sciences (now currently under the name Evofem), the studies, or participation in the trials, i will include these links:

http://www.softcup.com/buzz/instead-tommy-thompson-join-move-hiv-microbicide-market

http://www.insteadsciences.com/amphora.htm

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01306331

http://www.wave3trial.com/about.html

• Members

Definitely interesting...

I have a great disdain to slow things down to slip on a "rain coat"... Though the consequences calls for what must be done, like it or not...<_<

• Members

It's very interesting--however--I KNOW when I'm fertile and this is not something that I would feel comfortable trusting. There's NOTHING getting near me when I'm fertile-- Not a single drop of semen is going in there--and I know I wouldn't trust this gel when I have fertile mucus pouring out of me---so as much as my husband hates wearing a condom he does wear one when we have sex during my fertile time.

Guest eminatic

Definitely interesting...

I have a great disdain to slow things down to slip on a "rain coat"... Though the consequences calls for what must be done, like it or not...<_<

yeah i hear ya, although i think that sometimes condoms are fun XD i've only recently started having sex in July though, so I had alot of trouble putting them on at first. although the other night i had sex in the dark for the first time and i had a REALLY hard time...i was like "HOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS?!?" :lol: :lol: i'm also interested in trying different brands, but sometimes it is frustrating, since my guy is really big around, and there are only like 3 brands that fit him :blink: from a female perspective i like condoms because there is less cleanup,but if Amphora is successfully launched what will happen to condoms? would they be relegated to the realm of "contraceptives-that-almost-no-one-uses" like the today sponge and diaphragm? :P it's a large industry and i think it will be interesting to see what will happen if Amphora ever makes it to the light of day

• Members

It's very interesting--however--I KNOW when I'm fertile and this is not something that I would feel comfortable trusting. There's NOTHING getting near me when I'm fertile-- Not a single drop of semen is going in there--and I know I wouldn't trust this gel when I have fertile mucus pouring out of me---so as much as my husband hates wearing a condom he does wear one when we have sex during my fertile time.

Of course I am not doubting your abilities to know your own body, but that seems risque...But it seems to have worked for you...I would be scared to death if my GF told me not worry, she knows her own body and knows when she is "fertile"...:o

• Members

Of course I am not doubting your abilities to know your own body, but that seems risque...But it seems to have worked for you...I would be scared to death if my GF told me not worry, she knows her own body and knows when she is "fertile"...:o

Oh, I have no doubt that you are worried when she tells you it's safe !! It's a scary thing trusting someone else's ability to know that. That's why when I know that I am fertile I wouldn't trust too many forms of contraceptives. At least the condom is CONTAINING the semen .

As far as this drug (or any other ) being used in a Research program---Well, I know I wouldn't feel comfortable trusting it. I am all for Research though !! We have a huge Research department in my company. But, it's a completely different aspect . For these patients who come to our Cancer Treatment Center, they are in a life and death situation. If they find out that their current method of treatment for their cancer is not working they really have nothing to lose by going on a drug study. The only other alternative for them is death--a little sooner than expected. They are human monkeys after all, for these drugs-- (because God forbid they try these drugs out on animals first anymore !!)

The thing that bothers me and scares me about all of these drugs- is the commercials you see now on TV--There's a new one every month--- (Most of these drugs were originally APPROVED by the FDA too)

You know the commercials I'm talking about:

"If you or a loved one have been on "XYZ" Medication which has recently been recalled by the FDA and are now experiencing the following symptoms-- heart arrhythmias, deep vein thrombosis, blood clots, stroke, inflammatory bowel disease, bladder cancer , heart attacks or even death--a defective drugs lawyer can help determine if you are entitled to compensation. "

Yeah, just sign me up for a drug study !! LOL....

Guest eminatic

LOL, yeah they even have those commercial for pretty standard birth control pills too (even ones that are still on the market)

although I will say, Amphora had it's parent company break away to solely focus on the development of this product in 2004. it has been a long time in the making, i don't want to sound like it's a highly experimental unstable substance :lol: granted there's certainly a risk with everything, this is the final "clinical" trial before the product goes to market (and this phase started over a year ago)

clinical trials have 3 phases (and sometimes a 4th one that is for evaluation after the product is on the market)

* Phase I: Screening for safety

* Phase II: Establishing the testing protocol

* Phase III: Final testing

* Phase IV: 'Post-approval' studies

there is a separate set of studies necessary to prove that the product is safe for use in humans before the product moves to clinical trials. cancer trials are another story...there's so many complicating factors! normally i'd be in the same boat as you and be incredibly suspicious of any "trial" drug :lol: although i must confess i would probably try this if i were an eligible candidate.

BTW wendy your post reminds me of a website i once saw that sold these beads that were used to track fertility. they were color coded and you move them up and down depending on where you are in the cycle to help give a visual guide for fertile days.

• Members

I won't leave anything to chance when it comes to contraceptives, ever.

I don't want to get stuck on this point but:

The list of side effects you listed have been known since before you and I started even thinking about birth control. They are listed on all the drug info stuff received when the drugs are given and are told to the patient before prescribing. It's a risk the patient will choose to take or not to take. One can not sue after disclosure, hence all the forms signed in the Dr. office.

Guest eminatic

^ well we all know those sue commercials are a scam (in my area, they've been playing the exact same ones for at least 4 years) :lol: if it were really that easy to sue for side effects, i imagine they would not need to advertise their services lol