Official Community Forums Home

Bc And Antibiotics...

ambrelyn

• Members

A friend of mine told me that if you take antibiotics while on birth control you can get pregnant. She said the antibiotics cause the bc to be ineffective. Does anyone know if this is true, or just an urban myth? My fiancee and I have sex on a regular basis, and only use bc as protection. I have taken anitbiotics a couple times while we were sexually active, and was wondering if this was really true. Should I be more careful in the future. If it is true, this is really something doctors should tell their bc patients. I had no idea. Thanks. :)

• Members

It depends on which antibiotic you were given. Z-pak, Zithromax do NOT cancel out your BC. Penicillin, amoxicillin do mess with your BC. Those 2 are just off the top of my head. If you have the name of your antibiotic or any other meds you have questions about, feel free to message me.

Did you remind your doctor that you are on Birth control pills?? Just because they have your file right in their hand, does not mean they know everything on it right off the top of their head. Its sad to say, but the medical field has become so rushed, that doctors just don''t have the time to spend with each of their patients that they would really like to.

• Members

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

I personally know 2 people who got pregnant just that way!

If you read the insert that comes with the antibiotic - or even the bottle sometimes - it will have a warning - and it is usually inclusive of ALL ANTIBIOTICS! So, from now on - whenever you are on an antibiotic use a condom for double protection - you have been lucky thus far!

BTW, Zithromax WILL mess with your BC pills, here is an excerpt from the warning gotten from the official Zithromax Oral website:

"Zithromax Oral

AZITHROMYCIN 600MG TABLETS - ORAL

Pronunciation: (azz-ith-row-MY-sin)

View Images

Brand Name(s): Zithromax

Warnings

Who should not take Zithromax Oral?

Uses

Azithromycin is an antibiotic (macrolide-type) used to prevent and treat a very serious type of infection (mycobacteria or MAC).

This antibiotic only treats bacterial infections. It will not work for viral infections (e.g.,common cold, flu). Unnecessary use or overuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.

Precautions

What should I know before taking Zithromax Oral?

Interactions

See also the How to Use section.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: aluminum- and magnesium-containing antacids, digoxin, live vaccines, lovastatin, nelfinavir, warfarin.

This medication may decrease the effectiveness of combination-type birth control pills. This can result in pregnancy. You may need to use an additional form of reliable birth control while using this medication. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for details."

Mikayla :rolleyes: