Official Community Forums Home

Toys And Uti Infections

nosleepnmesa

• Members

:huh: Well this is the first in my book, I have never ever had a UTI tell recently, maybe I am lucky I don't know. So of course I go to the Doctor and ask him can sex toys cause a UTI? He stated,"it is only possible if you do not wash your toys before sex and after, or you are playing with it or your SO is playing with it on you and it happens to drop. Like on your sheets etc and you pick it up and continue.

Okay I am soo guilty here, I wash my toys before and after playing with them all the time, I am a clean freak. Although I am a clean freak, neat freak, or whatever my SO calls me :lol: I am guilty of dropping the toy on the bed and changing to another and back to that one. My bed and the sheets are clean of course, but I do own animals cats, dog, etc.... They aren't allowed on my bed EVER, but I am sure when I am gone they get on my bed, which is what the DR and I were talking about. It is possible he said that the dropping of the toy could have caused the UTI if one of the animals were on the bed. The chances are small but heck while I am at the DRs might as well ask right?

Let me make this clear though he DIDN't say that toys cause UTI's but if not careful, if you drop it etc and do not wash it you could be setting yourself up for one. UTI are very common in women but I just found this news a little interesting and decided to share it with you all. So becareful in the heat of the moment that if your SO or yourself drop a toy on the bed that you know is clean, but you own pets then make sure you wash it before you use it again or just don't use that one again.

• Members

VERY good information, Katprr! Thank you for passing this along! We have lots of critters in our house. The cats ALWAYS sleep on top of the bed covers and I catch one of our dogs trying to sneak up every once in a while. :rolleyes:

We're guilty of setting a toy down while we use another or just enjoy each other for a while. They're our sheets... we're on them... never even thought they'd not be clean enough to set a toy down for a few minutes and then use it again. :ph34r: Guess we've gotta start bringing a hand towel during playtime to set things on, eh? Oi!

• Members

The only UTI I ever had before was when I first got pregnant with my son, until... I got my first toys.

Then the first 2 times I used my toys I got UTIs. Like you, I'm a clean freak when it came to the toys - washing before and after. Yet both times I got UTI's. The first one took over a week to affect me and took me about 2 weeks to really diagnose. (I had this general icky feeling, but it was nearly 3 weeks before I finally had trouble urinating)

I do not use my toys that often and I'm actually almost scared to.

Both times were when my cat was still alive, Although I do not remember resting the toy on the sheets, but my cat used to sleep on my bed.

• Members

Kat,

As you know a UTI is a Urinary Tract Infection.

You get a UTI from bacteria entering the tract.

Last time I checked MOST women do not use toys in the urethra, I could be wrong.

Most woman use vibes on their clit, the clit and urethra are seperate from one another.

I have had them on a regular basis since I was 16, and I didn't even use toys then.

My doctor told me they were mainly caused from holding it when you had to go to the bathroom,

Like most typical adults we get busy, errands, store, cleaning, work etc,

And we have a tendancy to hold it in until we get a free moment.

this allows the bacteria to grow inside your bladder and when you do finally go to the restroom, you have more than the normal amount of bacteria released in the tract.

If you feel like your getting one, drink a beer.

Seriously, it is something about the way the Hops are processed that allows it to wash out the infection.

Believe me it works, I have used it when getting a UTI or a kidney infection.

I am one of those wierd people who gets infections on a regular basis,

not because I am unclean, just because my body is way more suseptable to them due to having had them multiple times.

I am not sure if it has to do with my body chemistry or not.

You would think that I wouldn't get them with my body acid being so high.

I can tarnish silver in a week and eat the plating off of a bracelet in 3 days.

go figure.

• Members

Whiskeywomen you are correct, that is why I said that he didn't say toys caused it but if not careful you could be setting yourself up for one. :) Since our Uretha's are so short, and I like alot of clitoral stimulation and play I just had to ask him.

He said really anything can cause them, holding it is a big one. I feel so sorry for you I think UTI's since this is my first one ever are horrible. I rather give birth again :lol: I had all my children natural, and had back labor but out of all that pain something wonderful happened. I don't see anything wonderful happening here. :lol:

I made this post since I know that I myself am very guilty at laying down toys and then picking them back up, along with my husband. That is why I had to ask the Dr about it. I thought the information he gave me was interesting and posted it, just so that everyone would know that if you are not careful when you are playing you could be setting yourself up for one. The slightest dirt on the vibe and then you put it on your clitoral area etc...

Also yes I know that the Uretha and clit are seperate from one another, but being that everything is so close, the Dr said it is possible since we all know that bacteria loves to travel.

Hmmmmm.... Never heard of the beer thing. I was told to get Cranberry juice, which I did along with the medication he gave me. Hehehe you just gave me a reason though to have a beer :lol: and I am not really a drinker :P but know I have an excuse to tell my hubby, I have another UTI so can you go get me a beer. :lol:

Thanks Whiskey :D

Kathy(Katprr)

• Members

Kat,

I am not a big drinker myself anymore, usually I prefer Scotch or Bourbon (hence the screen name)

I had a NASTY infection once, the doc suggested beer.

I asked about cranberry juice, he told me that most juices only contain 27 pct actual cranberry juice.

When you go to the store and look at juice, even the ones saying 100 pct , only 27 percent is cranberry.

It has been suggested that you need at least 40 pct to really help kick an infection.

I wasn't suggesting you were not aware of what causes a UTI.

This board has a lot of guests and members who come here and lurk reading posts.

Not that there is anything wrong with it mind you, it's just that a lot of lurkers will only see " toys can cause UTIs" and totally freak out, toss their toys and become nuns or monks.

Some may not think of the basic biology lesson, others may honestly not know because they were never taught.

I agree whole heartedly on keeping toys clean both before and after you use them.

I also agree with it only takes the smallest ammount of dirt to throw off the whole balance.

I my self can not use a toy if it has fallen on the bed while being used.

I have 3 dogs who are frequently in my room or on my bed.

Let me tell you, a Siberian Husky, a Labrador retriever and a Greyhound Can very easily hog a Queen size bed, and make the coverlet into a fur coverlet.

You said you are a neat freak, so I am assuming you more than likely change your bedclothes every week if not every other day LOL

You will be ok, just double check your script to make sure alcohol is ok to drink with it.

• Members

:lol: Whiskeywomen I have to say you made me laugh. Yes I am a clean freak I am so anal that I change my sheets after sex and yes every other day even if we don't have sex. :P I think there is a disorder for this LOL.

Also well heck since you have that many dogs, I will be more then Happy to send you my collie/aussie mix. :) I am sure I will survive but still child birth to me would be a whole lot better.