Official Community Forums Home

Astroglide Contains Sugar?

LittleBoPeep

:unsure: I've just found out that Astroglide contains Glycerin, a type of sugar, and can lead to yeast infections... I've had my share of yeast infections the last few months, even though I've been avoiding eating sugar, not using any scented soaps, not wearing tight clothing, etc. So I guess my question is could it be the sugar in the lube (astroglide) i use be contributing to the recurring infections? Mikayla, i've read that Astroglide is one of your favorite lubes, have you heard anything on this subject?

• Members

I found this when I googled glycerin. One way to see if the AstroGlide is causing a problem is to stop using it and use something else. TooTimid lube does NOT contain glycerin.

Glycerine is an alcohol (glycerol) and is used as a preservative in the food industry, as well as a sweetener: it is very sweet, yet it contains no sugar. This makes it an ideal sweetener for patients who cannot take sugar, such as the increasing number of Candida sufferers. Vegetable glycerine is said to be the "only acceptable sweetener" for Candida patients.

I got the same info when i Googled too.

So, there are some questions you should be asking yourself, as well as discussing with your doctor.

First, are you taking any antibiotics for any other type of health issue? A lot of antibiotics have warnings that they could cause yeast infections.

How are you dressing? Even while treating a yeast infection, you should be wearing loose fitting clothes, and whenever possible, cotton panties. I'm not saying that once in a while, a satiny sexy pair will hurt, but the satiny panties really don't allow your netherlands to breathe much.

Are you treating the yeast infections yourself? I would suggest that if you had one on top of another, you would go to your doctor and get something a bit stronger than the Monistat or other OTC treatments. Some yeast infections may seem like they're going away, but don't fully. Never skip doses (if you're using the multi-dose treatments) just because you think you're getting better.

Are you cleaning up after sex/masturbating? Even though Astroglide is water-base, you should always clean up afterwards. It's a lube, obviously it moisturizes your vaginal area for easy insertion. Who knows what other bacteria may be getting up there? Your body chemistry may be one that clashes with this particular lube (if you just started using this, and the yeast infections have started about the same time), and promotes yeast infections with this lube's usage.

Are the toys you are using (or man you're having sex with) go into you clean? Does he wash after sex, and you wash your toys after, with antibacterial soap? If you don't wash them/him, and still have some of the yeast infection, it can come back full force.

Have you changed brands of pad or tampons? I got a bad yeast infection just by changing a brand one month to save some $$. Something in the other brand I must've been allergic to.

Are you using condoms? Have you switched brands of those?

Just a little note: just because you may never have been allergic to something before, doesn't mean that you can't develop an allergy to certain things later on.

I would go to your doctor, get a strong treatment. Stop using Astroglide, and try a different lube. Good luck, and keep us updated.