Official Community Forums Home

Is It Odd That I...

• Members

...Have never dreamed about getting married? (Note: Although I have nothing against it)

I always hear other girls in real life and on tv, talk about how since they were very little they dreamed about they wedding day. I have never done that :( . I've always dreamed about the guy I would live and have sex with for the first time, my 'dream; house I hope to someday have...But never getting married or anything.

I am a girly girl (even though I don't wear heals or make up often), I think the dresses are pretty, I think a guy in a wedding waistcoat and suit is handsome...But I just can't picture myself getting married.

Maybe it is because my parents got divoriced (I lived with my ma) when I was three? They stay good friends to this day, but my Daddy in his life before and after my ma alltogether has been married three times (one of them died), and my ma never remarried or dated at all after my daddy...

Maybe I have just never had a rose tinted veiw of marriage? <_< I dunno...

I hope I am not the only one who feels this way though :(

No, I don't think that you're weird or "odd" because you haven't dreamed of your wedding day. To be perfectly honest, I never did either. I mean, I had guys that said they wanted to marry me, but, I am one of these extreme realists, and I like to think about things that I KNOW will happen, and soon.

Needless to say, I'm not a lot of fun when my hubby wants to "dream big" as far as the ranch we want to have, or a different vehicle. I can be a real downer. I have wish lists, to a degree, but they're goals I know I can achieve in the near future.

It could be you're the same way. Or, a live-for-the-moment kinda gal. You're young. Don't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with being a bit "selfish" with your time and youth. A freedom of coming and going, and not being responsible for answering to anyone (except within the law of course). Not that I'm knocking marriage, because I'm not. But, take your own time to do what you want now. There's no rush to settle down and get married. Waiting longer may be a key in making marriages work out more.

My first marriage happened when I was 26, never should've done it, but, live and learn. When I got engaged, until he and I SET A DATE, I deflected questions about what we were going to do for the wedding.

I don't like disappointments (not that I know that anyone does), and I like things tangable. Only when a date was SET, did I start to plan. I had no real idea what I wanted for a dress, or bridal dresses. I knew the colors, and that was about it! LOL I really had no clue. I had no idea what kind of flowers I wanted even!! How awful am I?? My SIL helped with the flower ideas and makings of the bouquets, since flowers aren't my "thing".

Anyway, when anyone asks "Oh, wouldn't you just LOVE that for your wedding??", just simply reply, "I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the timing's right".

• Members

When I was younger, I spent time imagining what my wedding would look like from designing my wedding gown to dressing my groom. I knew how many children I would have and had them all named. I even had names picked should I have twins...girls, boys and girl/boy sets. Then I became a teenager and realized being the oldest of 5 was no picnic. I decided I had done enough taking care of babies for one lifetime....There is 15 years between the youngest and me. Therefore I decided I was not having kids...ever!!! I now have 3 beautiful kids I cannot imagine every being without, and I did not have my dream wedding...and I am divorced. Things do not always happen as we dream them so if you are not dreaming about a wedding...don't worry...it probably would not happen as you dreamed it anyway and you are less likely to be disappointed when and if you do get married.

Take your time and do your thing...you know what is right for you.

• Members

Good question I never really imagine about gettign married but when I did get engage I start having these dreams but it still wasn't that OMG!! I cant wait for this to happen , I just went with flow of things I guess due to alot of my friends were engage and the day of or the week before they got cold feet or the the guy didnt show up. So your not weird things are not like it was back in the day for our parents or life itself you have to think before you make life changing decision so dont worry your fine. I have been married for 8yrs and I love it I will admit that I cant believe it some times but I truly love it. :)