Official Community Forums Home

Lubrications

Tyger

OK, I am well aware that Mikayla has written an article on lubes, but I wrote this a while before that one was posted, and want to share it with y'all. :) Great minds think alike!

Lubrication

Lubes, lubes, lubes! Let’s talk about lubes! Technically known as “Personal Lubricants”. What’s wrong with using a little lubrication for a more comfortable sexual encounter? More than once, I have heard men and women say that if they’re excited enough they shouldn’t need lubrication. Huh? I'm here to say that that's just NOT true. Everyone needs a little help now and again in every aspect in life, so why shouldn't the need (or want) for a lube be included in that too?

Let me clarify what exactly lubrication is for. It’s for enhancing one’s sexual experience, aiding in any sort of insertion, whether it be a toy, or penis. And it helps the woman stay lubricated during long, hot, steamy hours of sex. Let’s face it ladies, we can’t stay lubed up all the time! We can dry out after some time. Plus, lubrication is a MUST HAVE when engaging in anal play. The more lube, the better. We don’t want tearing up there. Can you say OW?

What’s the big deal? I mean, I love sex with my husband, don’t get me wrong, but lubes really help the parts stay lubed up, especially when we’re using condoms (part of our birth controlling, but that’s another topic all together!). And, the more lubed up I am, the longer we can go on, and on, and on, and on! I mean, friction burn on my Netherlands is not something I wish to experience, thank you very much. Does this mean my husband doesn’t excite me? Absolutely….NOT!! It just means that we can enjoy each other longer. So what’s wrong with that? Needing to use a personal lubricant doesn’t make your Significant Other a failure in exciting you. It means that, sometimes, like in everything in life, one needs a little extra help. And, when you want to use some lube, your partner should really be flattered that you want to keep up with them, and truly enjoy the lovemaking.

WHAT’S OUT THERE?

I love having a nice variety of lubes on hand at all times. Variety is the spice of life, in and out of the bedroom. You never know what kind of lube you may need! I mean, you have water-based lubes, silicone lubes, jelly, liquids, warming, flavored, the list goes on and on. And there are several brands to choose from as well. Each has their own benefits, and some even have drawbacks. Having at least 3 lubes handy is a must for any person’s “Toy Box”, in my honest opinion.

Having a good selection of lube is a good idea if you have a lot of toys as well. There are some toys made of materials that are tacky, or a bit harder to insert without the use of some lube on them. Some lubes can’t be used with some toys. For example, we are famous here for saying “no silicone lubes with silicone toys or when using condoms” because they break down the silicone in those items. Water-based lubes are some of the most popular because they’re long-lasting, and usually hypo-allergenic. Plus, they can be used with pretty much every toy & condoms out there. They’re also easier to clean up, and usually don’t leave stains. Be sure to double check the packages of the items and lube that you use, to make sure that your toys & lubes are all compatible. There is usually some sort of warning if the lube breaks down certain materials. Plus, if you know of some sort of chemical you’re allergic too, it’s always good to check the packages, making sure they don’t contain anything you may be allergic too. Who wants a burning rash *down there*? Not I.

My recommendation for trying a new personal lubricant, is to get a small, sample packet of it, if you can, try it out, and see if it works for you and your partner. Some people are allergic to some lubes. And, lubes can get expensive. So, why waste a ton of money on something you won’t be able to use?

SOME LUBE NAMES

We all know that most products come in a variety of ways, and by several different companies. Here are some brand name lubes:

*WET *Aqua

*Astroglide *Elbow Grease

*K-Y *Eros (how appropriate, the god of lust)

*Doc Johnson *ID Glide

*Hustler *Juicy Lube

*Penthouse *Probe

*Swiss Navy *Kama Sutra

*and, of course, TooTimid Pleasure Gel

There are more out there, but some of these are the most popular, and widely used products on the market….so far.

SPECIALTY LUBES

It seems as though we, as humans, are always coming up more specific products for specific uses. Years ago, it was pretty much just “Personal Lubricant” stocked on store shelves. But, as people get more and more sexually adventurous, companies found a need and want for other lubricants that offered a bit more variety, fun, and slickness to their steamy sex lives! There are now warming, flavored, organic, oils, and lubes specifically designed for anal sex, such as Astroglide Shooters, Anal Blu, and Fruity Booty.

HOW DO I USE LUBES?

You apply lube directly on the penis and/or toy first, and then around the vaginal opening or anus, for added slickness. Use as much as you feel comfortable with, and don’t be afraid to re-apply as you need/want it. Applying lube can also be a sensual, sexy thing to do. Rubbing, massaging, applying, touching, and feeling, all great fore playing moves.

When using condoms, do NOT put lube on the penis first, then the condom over that, since it will most likely allow the condom to slide right off, probably without anyone knowing until it’s too late. Put the lube on the condom that is over the penis. Remember to check to make sure your lube is compatible with the condom’s materials.

Rest assured, that most lubes have instructions on how and what to do with your lube. Some directions are in great detail, and some with drawings to help show you the way. Always read the instructions and warnings BEFORE your tumbling in the sheets, just so you don’t have to stop and concentrate on reading something.

I would recommend having a towel or some wet wipes nearby, so, after applying your lube, you can wipe your hands off. Some lubes are very, very slick, and would make it hard to touch or grip anything. And, if you’re like me, I don’t like anything sticky or slick on my hands.

After everyone is satisfied and tired out, always wash your genitals after sex, or masturbation to wash the lube off. Some lubes, on some people, can create a slight odor afterwards, so it’s best to just wash it all off. Plus, it’s good for your own personal hygiene.

WHAT THINGS SHOULD I AVOID USING AS LUBES?

We’ve all heard the usual little tidbits of advice and jokes about using Vaseline (a.k.a. petroleum jelly), butter/margarine, vegetable/corn oil, lard (Crisco), soap, baby oil, hand lotion, and other things that are usually around the house.

PLEASE do NOT use these items as lubricants for any sort of sexual encounter, including masturbation! These items are not meant to be on, around, or inside anyone’s private parts. They can harbor and promote bacteria to form, and then you can be in some uncomfortable trouble.

They also can break down condoms and toys, making them weak, and breakage possible. This is not a good thing.

Use only things designed specifically for internal use, please!

WHERE DO YOU GET LUBE?

So, you’re almost convinced that using personal lubricants are a good thing? Very good! But now, the question is, where does one go to get some lube? Most “Adult Stores” have those little sample packets you can try out, at a reasonable price. And they have a big selection of lubes there to choose from. Then, when you find one that really works for you, you can splurge and buy the big bottle.

Pharmacies, and most chain retail stores carry personal lubricants as well. But, usually pharmacies and retail stores carry a very limited, basic selection of lubes. Such as Astroglide, Swiss Navy, K-Y, and their generic brands as well.

TooTimid.com carries a large selection of lubes as well. More and more of the lubes are getting reviewed, so you can see what really worked well for someone. Try and get that kind of service at a retail store! Won’t happen.

I hope that this article has cleared some myths up, and some apprehension. Get some lube, and have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just to back you up, Wet lube works great. I own some and it's non smelling and you don't need a whole bunch. It lasts for a good while.