Official Community Forums Home

Would Be Interesting To Know ...

gspotpro

• Members

Have just registered and would be interested to know if there are any folk from South Africa on the forum?

• Members

I'm not from South Africa but I have traveled through quite a bit of it ;)

I flew into Jo-berg, went to Pretoria and up to Kruger Park. I went through Swaziland and traveled all along the garden route, down to Port Elizabeth. Durban was great too! We stopped off in Oudtshoorn and rode an Ostrich ;) We spent some time in Capetown before making our way up to Stellenbosch for the wine.

I love it there and am very jealous of your gorgeous country! I'd go back in a heartbeat!

What part do you live in?

• Members

You certainly covered a fair amount of the country, well some of the prettiest parts anyway. Hope you had enough time to do it all in? I live on Durban's north coast in a town called Ballito.

Thanks for the compliment about SA, but all countries have their beauty. Unfortunately the crime in this country has become virtually unbearable. One is constantly on guard against hijackers, thieves, muggers and violence. We are currently undergoing a nationwide electricity supply crisis due to the governments mis-management of natural resources. Even some of our major gold mines (SA's life-blood), were forced to shut down for up to 2 weeks.

Anyway, enough ranting. Yes we do still have a good life here. And our girls are amazing ... LOL

• Members

I got to spend almost a month driving around, and could have used more time! The crime and politics is why I'm not thinking about going back any time soon. I went about ten years ago, and yes, even then I was quite scared. I still have friends who live in Pretoria, and the squatting situation is one of their biggest problems.We actually flew over the section from Port Eliz to closer to Capetown because of the hijacking issue. However, some areas in Mozambique were way scarrier! My first impressions upon driving into Joberg - I couldn't believe all the high gated walls with glass shards.

But, your country is still fantastic and there's that certain feeling no matter where you are in Africa.

• Members

Welcome gspotpro! Hope you find others here. GingerJ, you surprised me with the ostrich riding. Some people never take the time to enjoy such things!

• Members

Pappy they are very strange birds and its not at all like horseback riding. I would try it if you get the chance!

• Members

If I ever have the chance you can bet I will. Some people who actually get that chance would never try, but I see that you are not one to pass up such an opportunity. That is really what life should be about!