Official Community Forums Home

Minor Fault = A Kick To The Curb

square

• Members
So we've kicked around the topic of "the guy always pays" versus the girl paying her way.

What about things like the guy holding doors open for the girl, shutting the car door for her, helping to push in her stool . . . uh . . . der . . . um . . . I mean, helping scootch in the girl's chair at the restaurant table, helping her on and off with her coat, and standing up when a woman enters the room?

Are these things OK, or would some of you girls prefer to get your own doors and chairs and coats and things?

(Personally, I've always tried to do the door thing; never much the chair thing, only a little bit the coat thing; and if I stand up when someone comes into a room or I greet them, I tend to do it regardless of whether it is a guy or gal.)

I hate chauvinism, but I love being treated like a women. Open any door for me, yes please, thank you. help me on with my coat, yes thank you. You want to pull out my chair, okay thank you, but usually only at a formal affair or fancy restaurant. Standing to greet me, not at home on an everyday basis. I can't remember if any one has stood when I left the table to go to the ladies room.

• Members
So we've kicked around the topic of "the guy always pays" versus the girl paying her way.

What about things like the guy holding doors open for the girl, shutting the car door for her, helping to push in her stool . . . uh . . . der . . . um . . . I mean, helping scootch in the girl's chair at the restaurant table, helping her on and off with her coat, and standing up when a woman enters the room?

Are these things OK, or would some of you girls prefer to get your own doors and chairs and coats and things?

(Personally, I've always tried to do the door thing; never much the chair thing, only a little bit the coat thing; and if I stand up when someone comes into a room or I greet them, I tend to do it regardless of whether it is a guy or gal.)

So, is chivalry dead (or at least the preference for it)? A man who would do all of the above mentioned things would definitely get a fine reward upon returning home! Call me old fashioned or however you'd like, but I LOVE such quiet tells of love and adoration. It would make me feel respected as a lady and as if his heart swells with pride to be graced with my presence. BUT, it needs to be balanced. He doesn't need to be like a slave, and if I want to play football with the guys, he BETTER be willing to tackle me in the mud!!!

For me, I can't stand when there is something I want to do and can do--like playing TACKLE football--and the guy gives me a hard time over it simply because I'm a girl. Granted, I too will often cringe when a girly girl also steps onto the field, but that doesn't make me a hypocrite; if she wants to be thrown in the dirt, I'm more than happy to put her and whoever else winds up with the ball in it. Just because a guy's a guy doesn't mean we women can't have fun doing the same things too!