Official Community Forums Home

Getting A Mac

ladylove

• Members

I just told my husband i would really apreciate a Mac laptop for Mothers day......any suggestions on 13 inch vs 15 inch screen? and which word program seems to be better, Macs or windows

• Members

Welcome to the dark side! ;) I'm a MACaholic!

13 inch is small if you planning on using this as an every day computer.

"and which word program seems to be better, Macs or windows" I don't quite understqand what you are asking here. Can you explain more?

• Members
MAC: mostly amateur computer

My daughter is an artist and she wanted a MAC because they have a lot of creative software. After a year she said she wished she had a "plain old" laptop because the MAC wasn't special like she thought. When it was time to get one for my 2nd daughter, we bought a DELL. Alot less $$ and just as many applications.

• Members
MAC: mostly amateur computer

PC = Piece of Chit. haha.

After 10 years I haven't had one problem with my computer. Never had problems with it keeping up with the times. I can't say the same for the majority of PC's I've seen around me. Be it a blue screen of death or slow downed system or viruses.

I am in a professional art field and yes it does make a difference. Anyone in a graphics or creative field who does not work on a MAC is not utilizing all the creative tools available to them. The programs don't transfer the same.

• Members

I talking about the Mac 'iwork program' or the 'Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac program'

I no longer work so it just for my own personal stuff

• Members

Microsoft Office 2008 works the same as PC, just different hot keys to learn if you use those.

• Members
Microsoft Office 2008 works the same as PC, just different hot keys to learn if you use those.

what about the iworks program? I thought since I'm buying Mac maybe I should go all the way so to speak. Do you have any experience or know anything about it?

• Members
what about the iworks program? I thought since I'm buying Mac maybe I should go all the way so to speak. Do you have any experience or know anything about it?

Haven't used it much. I know that some of the additional functions it offers are really intended to benifit an office itself (i.e.sharable calendars). If you have an apple store near you I'd suggest going down there and having a salesperson tell you more about it. Alot of times they'll have the programs on demo too. If this is just for work at home, you're probably fine with just using 2008 Microsoft office.

• Members

Pages is the Mac program akin to Word, but like everything Mac... it's better than the program by the evil empire.

It's great, and will open Word Docs, and docs created will open in word.

Get the 15" if you'll use it as your primary machine. The Air is cool too... thin.

New hardware coming soon, but the ones out now are really pretty amazing. Go to www.macobserver.com to learn more about what's on the horizon.

• Members

Thanks blissful

I did look at the Air but decided against it. I Have to have to many outter devices for it to functional and easy for me.

thank for the web sit I'll visit

OMG! I just check out the page, and i can save about $500 on the lap top. thanks, I owe you!

• Members

I just got my MAC and i love it. I also received a personal tutoring package with it. it's so different from what i'm use to.