Official Community Forums Home

Hpv

mystofpric

• Members

I just read Mikalya's article on STDs and I read thorugh the Gential Worts section and there were a few things that I noticed were missing I just want to put up a disclaimer saying that not much is truly known about HPV so there may be no right or wrong.

First I want to state that every year 6 million Americans (most of whom are female simply because there is no test for men) are diagnosed with HPV. There are over 130 strains all together of HPV, yes it does cause the worts on your hand, not a frog. There are over 40 sexually transmitted strains of HPV. Not all of them cause worts, and not all of them cause cancer. However, as of today it is understood that teh strains of HPV that causes worts cannot cause cancer, and cancer strains cannot cause worts.

When I found out that I had HPV, I had no worts just an angry PAP. Ladies, when you get your annual, ask for the liquid pap and an HPV test. Most doctors won't do a HPV test unless your test results come back abnormal and even then it's about a 50/50 shot. One doctor told me to wait 6 months, the other office did it routinely. Unfortunately, even if you do get the test the most they can tell you is what "class" of HPV you have; worts or cancer. They do not have tests available yet to tell you what strain you have.

The HPV vaccine only prevents the 4 most agressive strains. So just because you are getting the vaccine, does not mean you are immune, keep getting those paps. As of today the vaccine is only available to women, but they are working towards getting one for men too as they can carry the virus. If you already have HPV this is not a cure. It is recommended that you still get the vaccine even if you already have the virus.

HPV is spread by skin to skin contact, so using a condom is great and reduces the amount of skin contact but does not prevent the spread. My doctor, who so casually told me that I have HPV, also told me not to worry about telling my future partners. Part of this is because my body may eventually fight it off on it's own (I may be HPV free right now, yay! or not.), it takes the average healthy person an estimated two years to fight the virus off on their own. But also because odds are they might already have it. Personally? I tell 'em. I make it a point to have everything out in the open. That and it's allows my partner to make the decision for themselves. I luckly have the simply annoying class of HPV it's gonna make my PAP screwy but it probably (note not definitely won't) won't cause cancer.

HPV cause liasons in the cells of the cervix. These liasons can develop into cancer, this is what they look for during a pap, among other things. Generally the second step if you have these liasons and your doctor feels that it is needed, is a coloposcopy and possibly a biopsy. The coloposcopy shouldn't hurt, but some women will experience some discomfort, mine hurt like hell, but a friend of mine has had it done and she didn't feel it. If the doctor sees anything that they are worried about during the colopscopy they will usually biaopsy right there. Most cancers are caught early enough that they can be treated through apperently simple pills.

Very little is actually known about HPV and they don't seem to be in a huge hurry to figure it out. This is definitely something that I feel everyone should know about. I had no idea what it was when I found out I had it and I thought my life was over, this is clearly not the case. I recommend that anyone who is having sex or wants to have sex do a little digging. I know that almost all of the other STDs were covered in health class but this one they skimmed. In the end the best thing you can do is know what's out there and that's about all you can do sometimes. My doctor told me that the only sure way to prevent spreading HPV is to buy a chastity belt.

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/HPV

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey suzy,

Hope all works out for the best.

I do have one question that I have not found yet. What are the chances of a mother passing HPV to her daughter during birth? Not really a question for us but just in general. With all the critters crawling out there I will always remain monogamous.

Bugs

I would think that it'd be the same for most genital infecting STD's. Careful screening, supressive therapy, and a higher risk of having the baby via c-section.

• Members

Actually you run a higher risk of passing HPV, I'm not sure the exact odds but I know that since it's simply skin to skin contact that does it, they are very concerned about passing it on through a vaginal birth, some doctors recommend a C-section. Most specifically they are concerned with it developing in their mouths, throats and little lungs. There is new research out linking HPV to throat cancer, so oral sex just got a little less "safe" if anyone should happen to get pregnant and know or think that they may have HPV, discuss it with your doctor. Also discuss any kind of testing that they may have if you think you may have passed it on to an older child. It is one of those Viruses that will sometimes, and actually often times just sit and not develop.

• Members
I would think that it'd be the same for most genital infecting STD's. Careful screening, supressive therapy, and a higher risk of having the baby via c-section.

There actually is no true supressive therapy. You can take anti-viral meds which if you have worts will help clear them up but it will not stop you from spreading the virus nor will it get rid of it. HPV is a lot like Herpes in that you can clear up an "outbreak" (if you have worts) you can use conventional meathods to clear it up like freezing, burning or lasering them off, but you still carry and can pass on the virus.

Again, I recommend EVERYONE look into gett the Garadsil, even if you have HPV the odds are you don't have all 4 strains (2 of which protect against the 2 strains that cause 90% of cervical cancer and teh 2 strains that cause 70% of worts). Remember there are belive to be anywhere from 30+ to 40+ Sexually transmitted types of HPV. SO the odds are in your favor on that one.

There actually is no true supressive therapy. You can take anti-viral meds which if you have worts will help clear them up but it will not stop you from spreading the virus nor will it get rid of it. HPV is a lot like Herpes in that you can clear up an "outbreak" (if you have worts) you can use conventional meathods to clear it up like freezing, burning or lasering them off, but you still carry and can pass on the virus.

Thanks for the follow up SuzyP. It's good to learn all about STDs if you're sexually active!

Just to clarify, anti-viral meds can sometimes also be referred to as suppressive therapy, depending on how it's prescribed. Also, I wanted to clarify for the readers that may not know it, but with herpes, you can't have sores lasered off, they have to clear up on their own, and you can pass on the virus in either STD without having any sign of viral activity, hence why both STDs are sooooo common!

I found out my Mom had the HPV that caused worts, and she was like "The only way to cure HPV is to have surgery". I tried telling her that there were several strains of HPV that they've identified a lot better in the last 20 yrs (which is when she had hers), and not all of them caused the worts, and just because she had them lasered off, didn't mean she didn't have it back then after the proceedure was done, and that in many cases it seems to die off after about 10 yrs or so. But, she didn't believe me. I told her to Google it, since, in her mind, I am 12 yrs old still, and don't know better! LOL What do I know, afterall? LMAO :rolleyes:

HPV is such a BROAD diagnosis, you are soooo correct when you said that not much is known about it.....kinda like SIDS with infants. It's just sooo broad, that when you get an irregular PAP, they say you may have PID and/or HPV. Hopefully, someday, all STDs will have cures. I live for the day I am, once again, herpes free!

Thanks again for the helpful info! I am glad that you are able to share it with us.

• Members

Thanks love for helping a sister out. :) Current studies show that most women will clear out a low-grade (annoying but mostly harmless) strain within two years. If you have worts, odds are you probably have or had one of the two high grade strains that cause worts ( i know your talking about your mama, i'm just using the general you. :) )

I only have this info cause I FREAKED out when I found out I had it and spent the next two weeks researching and telling everyone I know. It's my pleasure to spread the word (not the disease :) ) and maybe help out other people who get this or are afraid of getting it. MY orignal doctor told me that since it's soooo common not to worry about telling any future partners, cuase they probably already have it. BULL. I'm getting it tattooed on my forehead (okay no but a banner is in teh works at least).

LOL On the banner on the forehead! I still think that it's BS for a doctor to tell anyone that they shouldn't disclose an STD status to a potential partner. Everyone SHOULD have the choice to take the risk or not. Especially where some strains can cause cancer, and can reek havoc on some other diseases....

• Members

I have one of the simply annoying strains that causes Plantar Warts (warts on the soles of your feet). I got it at summer camp as a kid, and it's just sort of faded in and out for years. They're annoying, but harmless. :P I've gotten some surgically removed before, but the scarring on the feet is more painful to walk on than the warts were, so I've never gotten others cut/lasered/frozen off.

• Members

Planter's Wort are one of the other 100+ strains of HPV. You'd think with that maybe strains floating around out there they'd have this figured out by now.

I always, ALWAYS tell any prospective partner. Until I get the all clear (which is possible, but unlikely) Before the words your place or mine get uttered, I say "I have HPV< here's what you need to know" and usally chase them off with too much information. :) actually no, most guys don't care which is kind a scary.