Official Community Forums Home

Desogen/apri Question

angelkisses98

• Members

many of you know hubby and i are doing fertility treatments. we are starting the process to under go invitro. the doc put me on a birth control called Desogen. I have never heard of it, and i was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it?

• Members

i asked the pharmasist if it was related to any of the ortho's because i CAN NOT take any of those. and she said no. but then i just looked it up, and they said it was used as a generic form for the ortho's. im calling the doc tomorrow.

• Members

I wish I could answer you question about the meds, but I have no idea; but a girlfriend of mine did invetro (couldn't get pregnant the old fashion way) and was very successful, 2 single pregnancies

Good luck, think positive. I'll say a little prayer for your success!

• Members
I wish I could answer you question about the meds, but I have no idea; but a girlfriend of mine did invetro (couldn't get pregnant the old fashion way) and was very successful, 2 single pregnancies

Good luck, think positive. I'll say a little prayer for your success!

thanks for the prayers, we'll take what ever we can get. they just gave me my 'schedule" oh good lord. gotta do all this other crap BEFORE they to the "retrieval" i have to start these pills today for 2 weeks, stop them for a week, get my cycle (mind you i have it now) so thats TWICE in 4wks :angry: , then take them for another 2 weeks, then do injections for one drug for 2wks, and another for 2. THEN the retrieval. which should take place july 14-`19, then 4-d days after that the put the eggs back in.

From what I pulled up, Desogen is NOT the generic form of the Ortho Novum brand, it's its own brand. Now, it may contain similar medicines in it, but here's the link I pulled up since I was curious....

Desogen site

Please understand that I am NOT a healthcare professional, so, you really should speak with your prescriber to be sure.

• Members
many of you know hubby and i are doing fertility treatments. we are starting the process to under go invitro. the doc put me on a birth control called Desogen. I have never heard of it, and i was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it?

Desogen is a low dose birth control using desogestrell for the progestin component. Desogestrel is a novel progestone because it works the same way but has fewer side effects. The estrogen component is 20mcg which is low. It is not the same as any of the ortho products.

From what i remember from my infertility rotation, your cycle is suppressed for 2 weeks, then is repeated once more (sometimes3 times) and the injections are given to enhance egg production. The pill acts to suppress your FSH, then when you come off, you have a burst of FSH, which along with the shots, get you the maximum number of eggs. A bit technical but it is important to be on the pill to suppress egg production until it can be maximized by injections. pm me info you need more info.

• Members
thanks for the prayers, we'll take what ever we can get. they just gave me my 'schedule" oh good lord. gotta do all this other crap BEFORE they to the "retrieval" i have to start these pills today for 2 weeks, stop them for a week, get my cycle (mind you i have it now) so thats TWICE in 4wks :angry: , then take them for another 2 weeks, then do injections for one drug for 2wks, and another for 2. THEN the retrieval. which should take place july 14-`19, then 4-d days after that the put the eggs back in.

We also went thru IVF the only advice I can give you is keep your anxiety level as LOW as possible.

THAT is why it didn’t work for us, they retrieved 12 eggs and implanted 8; 4 had divided perfectly and none took.

I am completely convinced that I was just WAY too stressed out.

Have you begin the shots yet?

I should warn you that the shots are quite viscose so they can sting a little ( or sometimes a lot) the retrieval isn’t so bad just make sure they give you lots of midazolam it acts like an amnesia drug so if it did hurt you won’t remember.

If you need to talk PM me and I’ll give you my #

• Members

i don't know anything about BC, I'll stick with my shot. But I do want to say GOOD LUCK!