Official Community Forums Home

Heating Question

angelkisses98

• Members

we have oil heat :huh: i called the other day to see how much its going to be to fill the tank...3.89 a gallon!!! :o we have a 300 gallon tank, that would be $1,167 to fill the damn tank!! AND...it has to be filled twice keeping the heat on 65!!! because thats what he had to do last year. that would make it $2334 for 5-6 mths!!! thats $389 a month to heat this place soooooo...hubby and i were looking for diff. ways of heating this place...putting in a wood burning stove..i found on on craigs list for $100 with all the duct work..we would just have to pay for someone to put it in...

now, hubby is from norway, and in norway believe it or not they use these wall panel heating systems..each one is mounted on the wall and is set for each room..if noone is in the room, it does not go on. kind of like a suped up space heater. they also have heated floor coils under the tile which is niiiiiice in the winter.

well, we did research, and you can get them here..it would cost about $400 a piece...we would need 4.

does anyone have these, or know anyone who does?? what has there experience been with them?? what are some other options into heating...we rent, so we cant physically do anything to this place.

as for electric usage...we added up how much power it would take to run these 4 units..and its actually less then the 2 window units we ran all summer long. the bill i just paid was only $119. so we are srsly considering..just wanted to see if anyone knew more about these...

http://eheat.com/ here the link

• Members

389 a month is a lot of $, but, it really depends on how big your home is, square footage wise. Not really sure if it is excessive or not. You can tape up and temporarily seal some windows and doors, all but one door, or buy insulated window coverings from HD or lowes.

Just to let you know, even with the rise in gas $$, my electric air conditioning bill is more than my gas heating bill, and I keep my home at a toasty 72 degrees in the winter. So just be informed about how much it's going to cost you to run your electric to heat your home.

• Members

we looked into those heaters last year..$189, but then like $40 to ship..and we would need 3.

the instillation in this place is horrible. the walls are always FREEZING. were trying to find a place with a 6mth lease, but around here its damn near impossible.

• Members
we looked into those heaters last year..$189, but then like $40 to ship..and we would need 3.

the instillation in this place is horrible. the walls are always FREEZING. were trying to find a place with a 6mth lease, but around here its damn near impossible.

You sound like your between a rock and a hard place. Why not just move out totally and find a new place thats better for you, and take the years lease?

• Members

If you are renting...then I wouldn't go with the wood stove. We have one and love it...but it becomes a liability issue with insurance sometimes. It has to pass insepction and has to be included on the house insurance....not sure if your owners would be up to that. Also....then you would have to buy firewood. My SO has his own tree business so we don't have problems there.....

And in reality...they are way to heavy to be moving about if you move.

Unless I am mistaken and you are just talking about a little tiny one that sits on little 4 legs? But then you would still have to make a hole in the wall and spend money on wood...and something that small wouldn't heat your whole house unless you tapped into the ducting for the heater. This would also have to be reported to the insurance company.

Another option is baseboard heaters. My dad's house had them and they get the place nice and toasty!!!! Just make sure youd on't have little ones running around that might stick their hands in them and get burned...also you can't push furniture up against them.

If I were you, I wouldn't just try my damnest to save save save and get out of there. Or see if the owners will pay for the reinsulation of the place. Maybe show them the bill if its way out of the ordinary for a place that size. If they don't fix it, then in some states you can move out before the lease ends and get your security deposit back still becasue its their duty to keep up with the house maint.

Those are just some of my thoughts. Hope some or atleast one helped you!

Check out pellet stoves too. My cousin has one, and LOVES it. Though, I believe you have to have a chimney for it as well, I believe it's more energy efficient, and you can get those and the pellets at places like Lowe's & Home Depot.

• Members

Hey hun! OKay so we too have fuel heat. We also have a wood stove an a wood burning Hot water tank for back-up. If your going to go with a wood stove, you need to get it installed to code. The exhaust pipe has to go above the roof line and it has to go out of the. Lots of expense and updating cost. However, if your going to go witha wood stove, go with the pellet stove, the stove stays cool to the touch and the pellets burn hotter and last longer, they are also cheaper than buying logs.

I have no experience with the wall panels like you are talking about but if you have to change anything get approval from your landlord, sometimes they will allow for it if you can convince them it is better for the apartment and they approve it after the work is done.

Also I'm with WF, talk to your local tenats associtation, they will have imformation on what it should cost to heat a place your size, if your too high you can make your landlord fix the insulation situtation or you are iuntitled to stop paying rent legally, now i'm sure that your landlord would sooner fix your insulation, and you coul also take action if he fixes this and tried to raise your rent, because he legally can't as it is a basic nessescity. The tenat's ass. would cover all this.