Official Community Forums Home

Thyroid Problems And Sex Drive?

curvacious_lust

• Members

I am wondering if I have thyroid problems. There is a family history of this. I have put on weight and just can't seem to lose it. Also (can't believe I"m saying this) my libido is sluggish now too. I can't see a doctor for 3 months as hubby is starting a new job and I will FINALLY have insurance so I can get this all checked out.

Anyone here have this issue or know someone who does?? Helllp!!!

• Members
I am wondering if I have thyroid problems. There is a family history of this. I have put on weight and just can't seem to lose it. Also (can't believe I"m saying this) my libido is sluggish now too. I can't see a doctor for 3 months as hubby is starting a new job and I will FINALLY have insurance so I can get this all checked out.

Anyone here have this issue or know someone who does?? Helllp!!!

I’m not a doctor (although I have been known to play one on the internet. lol) but, I think it's a good possibility that your thyroid is giving you issues. Of course the weight gain is a pretty big sign, especially if it's a significant amount over a short amount of time, as well as feeling sluggish. If you have a family history, I would get it checked out immediately, so that if you do have an issue, you can get on medication and back to normal ASAP! When I read this post, I asked my roommate who was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism when she was young (she’s 30 now;) she said that it sounds as though it could be the answer, as she said she has some of the same symptoms when she doesn't take her medication regularly.

I hope this helps.

Meg

• Members

CL sorry to hear that you may be having problems....i just read a article on this very issue and here are some signs that you should ask your doctor for a thyroid test if you have two or more of these symptoms:

morning fatigue, sensitiivity to cold (or cold hands and/or cold feet), dry skin weak fingernails, muscle fatigue pain or weakness, worsening pms or severe menopausal symtoms, fluid retention, low blood pressure and elevated cholestrol, trouble with memory, thinning or coarse hair

hope this bit of information helps you out thyroid problems often go on and until YOU ask to be tested doctors always seem to say its something else.....even if your doctor gives you med the article stated that you should get plenty of vitamin d iodine selenium vitamin a zinc and omega-3 fatty acids....exercise...aiming for 60 mins of aerobic five times a week and 20 mins of toning moves 3 times a wk and 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hrs of sleep per night

i know you said it will be a few months before you see your doctor but please keep me posted when you do

take care and good luck

CL sorry to hear that you may be having problems....i just read a article on this very issue and here are some signs that you should ask your doctor for a thyroid test if you have two or more of these symptoms:

morning fatigue, sensitiivity to cold (or cold hands and/or cold feet), dry skin weak fingernails, muscle fatigue pain or weakness, worsening pms or severe menopausal symtoms, fluid retention, low blood pressure and elevated cholestrol, trouble with memory, thinning or coarse hair

hope this bit of information helps you out thyroid problems often go on and until YOU ask to be tested doctors always seem to say its something else.....even if your doctor gives you med the article stated that you should get plenty of vitamin d iodine selenium vitamin a zinc and omega-3 fatty acids....exercise...aiming for 60 mins of aerobic five times a week and 20 mins of toning moves 3 times a wk and 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hrs of sleep per night

i know you said it will be a few months before you see your doctor but please keep me posted when you do

take care and good luck

Dear CL,

I have an underactive thyroid, I take .075mcg of levoxyl(thyroid hormone). I also take a vitamin B complex. It took approx a month to start to feel sexual again. I just wanted to tell you, there is hope, it will eventually get better. Take care and I wish you an enjoyable sex life!

• Members

take care and good luck

well, I qualify for 6 of those....fatigue, cold: my feet always seem cold and I'm someone who used to run around in the snow barefoot; fluid retention, low BP, coarse hair, and memory problems. I usually blame the last on brain trauma from a MVA I had 7 years ago, but still....I can't wait for the insurance to kick in. I'd go now, but then the insurance will consider it a "pre existing condition" and probably won't cover a lot of it. I'm going to up the Vitamins you mentioned tho...we'll see what happens.

• Members

glad that what i passed on helps somewhat. Im sure once you do get to go to the doctor it will all work out but until then just hang in there i know it must not be easy. Its so sad the way insurance works that if you have to go now when you are covered they wont pay.....i know ive been there....but hang in there girl!!!!!

keep me posted