Official Community Forums Home

Since The Economy Sucks...

mystofpric

• Members

Hey guys! I was thinking, since teh economy blows we're all looking to save a little cash, so how are you doing it?

I switched ALL of my light bulbs to the low energy bulbs, each bulb is supposed to save you like $37-$50 a year! so with 12 light bulbs swapped out I should be saving a couple hundred! Also they're good for like 7-9 years so you don't have to replace them as often!

I only use cold water in the washer machine, saves on oil that runs the water heater!

I also covered all my windows in the weather proofing plastic, keeping the heat in and the cold out!

So what are you doing to cut costs?

Oh boy!

Well, I am not running the heating unit as much, but in East TX, that's not easy to do, cuz it does get cold here! I also have me & DD bundle up a bit more (though DH refuses to do this. I always go around and shut lights off. I want to switch to those bulbs, and will do so if I hafta do it one at a time! LOL

I usually always wash my laundry in cold water, and I hang up I'd say 60-70% of the clothes to dry, even in cold weather. I'm also washing several dishes in the sink, instead of the dishwasher.

I've covered the vents in the floor (my BIL use to live at the house we're in now, and his dog went under the house and dug out all the vents and broke the central air/heater, so the vents just are open under the house) to help keep the heat in.

Some other tips:

Fill your fridge and freezer full. Even if the fridge just has bottled water in it, & the freezer's full of ice trays! The fuller the unit is, the less it has to work to keep it cold. Make sure your vent at the bottom of the fridge gets vacuumed out at least once a week (allows the fridge to breathe and function properly and more efficiently). Be sure to clean out your dryer's vents EACH time you use it. It also allows the unit to breathe and work better.

As far as gifts go this year, we've told everyone that we're just concentrating on the daughter's Christmas gifts (and plus our DD needs some minor surgery that we need to pay for in the next month or so). So, unfortunately, no extra gifts this year.....which is depressing to me cuz I LOVE giving to people, cards, the whole 9 yards.

Guest eminatic

hmm i almost ALWAYS wash my clothes in HOT water, that is best for whites, no way around it (and i only wear pink and white). however i find that the machine doesnt get it hot enough anyway so i usually boil water and pour it in, then soak the clothes instead of let the washer agitate too long. i have a top loading washer (takes more water/energy) but there are some MAJOR disadvantages to side loaders and im kind of a laundry freak so...unless they can improve them im not going to switch.

i never use the dryer except for towels. its not good for the clothes. i have several clothes racks in my garage for hanging clothes.

the way the electricity grid works, it ALWAYS supplies energy to ANYTHING that is plugged in, even if it is not turned on (it was designed this way so that there would not be any delay in using electronic devices, and it works the same way for water too) this means that the electricity is basically "idling" when the appliance is not in use (this is what people are talking about when they say the nation needs to switch to a "smart" grid). if you want to save on your electric bill, you should UNPLUG electric appliances that are not in use rather than just turn them off.

• Members
The low energy bulbs we've used have only lasted a couple of months. Just generally making fewer trips and shopping at Sam's or Costco.

Well so far the down stairs has several that have been in for about 2 years now. Ital;so depends on how long you have tehm on for, short bursts (3 hours or less) will kill a light buld, any light bulb, super fast especially if there is no down time between these burst, IE you leave a room for a couple of minute so you turn off the light then you come right back. Light bulbs need at LEAST 15 minutes down time, and you actually use more electricity turning the lights back on. So if your not going to be out of a room for more than 15 minutes just leave the lights on.

Em sinc eyou use hot water (assuming you probably have an electric hot water heater) doing laundry later at night can save you money because the rates drop during off peak hours. Check with your electric company for the peak hours. Also, about the unplugging appliences, the only appliences that constantly drain electricity are things like your TV, stero, computer, anything that has a remote or goes to stand by. So your blenders, hair dryers, lamps things like that are actually off. The electricty is going to run the curcuit of your house whether you have things plugged in or not, but it just KEEPS circling until it finds an outlet, as in something "on". Your TVs, DVD players, x-boxes, stereos all basiclly go to sleep, so while for all intents and purposes they are "off" but they are considered to be "leaking" electricity. SO un blug those things. The toaster though, can stay plugged in.

hmm i almost ALWAYS wash my clothes in HOT water, that is best for whites, no way around it (and i only wear pink and white). however i find that the machine doesnt get it hot enough anyway so i usually boil water and pour it in, then soak the clothes instead of let the washer agitate too long. i have a top loading washer (takes more water/energy) but there are some MAJOR disadvantages to side loaders and im kind of a laundry freak so...unless they can improve them im not going to switch.

i never use the dryer except for towels. its not good for the clothes. i have several clothes racks in my garage for hanging clothes.

the way the electricity grid works, it ALWAYS supplies energy to ANYTHING that is plugged in, even if it is not turned on (it was designed this way so that there would not be any delay in using electronic devices, and it works the same way for water too) this means that the electricity is basically "idling" when the appliance is not in use (this is what people are talking about when they say the nation needs to switch to a "smart" grid). if you want to save on your electric bill, you should UNPLUG electric appliances that are not in use rather than just turn them off.

You are absolutely correct. If you keep stuff plugged in, even if they're OFF, there is still power to it (hence why it goes ON right away). I also unplug things. It irritates hubby, but since he's clueless when it comes to the little things that I do to try & save us $$$, he can deal with it!! LOL

As far as laundry, you are also correct that dryers do wear on clothes. I only dry DH's stuff cuz he insists (he's spoiled), though with DD's and my stuff I use extra fabric softner. I dry towels and socks, and some sheets (if I need them ASAP that is).

I don't know what your "major" disadvantages are for front loaders (except maybe the bending), but they do a lot better job, and are MUCH gentler on clothes. But, we all have our own little "quirks" as far as what we prefer, so you do your laundry the way you want and feel that is best for your clothes. I use warm water with whites that aren't bad at all, and on the bad whites, I do "splurge" and do the hot water....in my front loader. LOL

I forgot to mention that I water down my cleaners. Hey, they clean about the same anyway, and I'm not an "antibacterial freak", like some people I know. So long as stuff gets clean, I'm happy. Plus, I do use disinfectant spray too, so yes, we are clean AND frugal!! LOL

• Members

I didn't know that about the electricity ..... I went and unplugged my college kids room today.

I love my front loader washer, it's much more ecologically sound.

Guest eminatic

actually small appliances like cell phone chargers, rice cookers, coffee makers etc DO use electricity while off, its just under 5 watts so usually no one bothers.

yeah there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of machines i guess. its true side loading machines ARE much more gentle on clothes and use less water. on the other hand you cannot soak, add dyes or certain additives, or add items during the cycle. i dont leave my machine on the whole time when i was clothes. all my clothes are delicate, so i usually put them in, let the agitator move them around a little, turn it off and let them soak for about 10 minutes, repeat and then manually switch the machine to rinse. its more gentle on the clothes but warmer water is necessary for this.

• Members
actually small appliances like cell phone chargers, rice cookers, coffee makers etc DO use electricity while off, its just under 5 watts so usually no one bothers.

Actually they don't. Allow me to explain. There are two types of house hold appliences: Digital and mechanical. Digital items: tvs, dvd players, stereos, anything with a digital display, these things CONSTANTLY suck electricity why? Because all your really doing when you hit the off button is putting it in stand by.

Mechnical appliences however, the toaster non-digital coffee makers, knob style microwaves (without a clock), most crock pots, lamps, fans, even your washer and dryer (assuming it doesn't have a digital display) actually turn off. Yes, as I said before electricity runs to them. But the electric company only cares about what you use When you turn one of these mechanical items on you use up electricity, but not all of the electricty sent to that applience. (notice how your plugs have two prongs? When your applience is off he curcuit going to the applience itself is "open" meaning the electricity can't get to it, but it can still complete a curcuit effortlessly (not using any electricity) and continue on it way. The reason these items seem like they turn instantly on isn't because they are always using electricity, there really is a brief pause there, ideally less than a second, it's because of advances in craftsmanship and wiring. The ablity to snap that curcuit closed is faster.

The cell charger, and generally any of those adapter boxes, suck lots of energy because they are constantly converting the electricity into the right volt and amperage needed to power whatever the mated item is. They also suck at car batteries for the same reason. SO anything yo have with a big power box like that should always be unplugged when not in use.

Guest eminatic

if they do not have a clock,timer,LED or convert energy they use less than half a kilowatt. which wouldnt be enough to register or make a difference. but technically, they still use energy.

• Members

I'm actaully not doing anything to cut costs, per se, but I'm definitely into conserving resources. Don't waste food, even when you don't think you'll eat the leftovers later; be smart about energy/resource consumption, etc.