Official Community Forums Home

How Are Things Different

• Members

The possibility of moving in together was mentioned in passing between myself and my guy the other day, and I've been thinking about it ever since. My ex lived with me for a couple of months a long time ago, but that was more of a "you can stay here until you sort out somewhere else to live" kind of thing, not a "let's move in together" kind of thing... and apart from that I've never even had a roomie and have been living by myself the past 3 years. I don't really know what it's like to live with someone.

We aren't *seriously* considering moving in together yet, it would be several months before our respective leases end anyway even if we were ready for that, but I figure it's never too early to start thinking ahead. He's over here almost all the time as it is, so part of me wonders if it would even be that different, but I know from my limited experience that trying to cohabitate and share the same space all the time can be difficult and put a lot of strain on a relationship. Any advice or stories you have to share would be appreciated :)

• Members

There are too many things that could happen in either direction to even put a small dent in the list! A lot of it has to do with the two people considering this move. If you had privacy issues before they will only get worse. Are both parties responsible enough to keep the bills paid and on time? These are just a few things that can arise. The major killer seems to be those little pet peeve things that we didn't know beforehand and when they appear they work on you like a needle to the brain! Being just a step or three away marriage you really have to decide if that better or worse thing is something you can work with!

• Members

privacy and alone time are definatley one of the things that go out the window. although if you lay some ground rules in the beginning those can be less of a challenge. ron and I moved in together after only 6 months of dating. I am easy to live with apparently and ron and I are very similar in our thoughts on cleanliness. he takes care of the "outside" and fix it chores. I do the housework and cooking. we both share the laundry and cleaning the cat litter.

the pet peeves though, that can be a little bit harder. ron and I usually put in our own half of the money on rent and bills, but now after 3+ years we just pay with who has the money because we consider it our money not his or mine.

before you make the move, make sure you talk about it and really lay out your expectations from him and ask him what his are of you. communication is key!