Official Community Forums Home

Settling For Less

synirr

• Members
So true it was a shell. I have received a lot of good input and advice from folks here, as well as, some friends here at home. I actually spent my first evening out, like out with my friends, in seven years, last Saturday. It was an eye opener. Several of the things I have heard here were echoed in person. What I thought was admirable action to stay for the kids was really just naive and chicken on my part. I know I have a role to play in this, but I feel intensely angry. I guess that will run its course, but it feels bottomless at the moment.

I have no idea where to go from here. Thanks for the best wishes. i owe the lot of you for your kindness.

cheers

Please keep talking to us. I have been through a similar situation, and there really does come a point when it is better to be alone. Hard--yes---but better for me and for my kids.

• Members
but when a big chunk of your life has already gone by like that it's not such an easy decision to make unless you already have something or someone better waiting in the wings.

Even if you have someone or something better waiting in the wings, there can be reasons why you can't make that move. Life can be cruel like that.

Man

• Members
Mikayla, you have said a lot of great things, but this one maybe my favorite. I think you are spot-on.

I also think that sometimes people become so complacent in their relationship and daily lives, they “forget” about some of the things that matter most. They may not truly know how unhappy the other person has become. I saw this recently with a very good friend of mine. He thought his SO knew how unhappy he was, but until he said the words, “I am leaving,” she really did not know. Now they are working on things and their future is looking much better. I am so proud of him for getting to the point with her that she needed to have her eyes opened. Would he have really left? I don’t know, but I think so. I think he was that unhappy, but now they are growing together again.

People are so darn complicated, put two of us together (or more with kids) and how can it be anything but a mess if we don’t work on it? We all change over the years. Many on here have commented about how much they have changed just in the past few months, how can we complacent with our relationships (spouses, children, siblings, parents, etc.) and expect things to just be OK?

Sorry, didn’t mean to sort of rant there, but I have many good friends in situations where they are not being totally fulfilled and it hurts me to see them hurting. I just wished we could all be happy … and have the wherewithal/strength/nerve/etc. to do what we need to do to be happy.

MsLayD, I don't see your response as a rant. I see it as eye opening reality that we all should be aware (and beware) of. I for one, thank you.

• Review Team
MsLayD, I don't see your response as a rant. I see it as eye opening reality that we all should be aware (and beware) of. I for one, thank you.

Awww, your welcome, and thank you for your support. I just get kind of wound-up when people I care about are hurting.