Official Community Forums Home

The Dalliance Of Eagles

kburkhal66

• Members

Not a sexy story but it speaks of passion, desire, desparation, pursuit,

The Dalliance of the Eagles

Skirting the river road, (my forenoon walk, my rest,)

Skyward in air a sudden muffled sound, the dalliance of the eagles,

The rushing amorous contact high in space together,

The clinching interlocking claws, a living, fierce, gyrating wheel,

Four beating wings, two beaks, a swirling mass tight grappling,

In tumbling turning clustering loops, straight downward falling.

Till o'er the river pois'd, the twain yet one, a moment's lull,

A motionless still balance in the air, then parting, talons loosing,

Upward again on slow-firm pinions slanting, their separate diverse flight,

She hers, he his, pursuing.

Walt Whitman

• Members

Amazing...

• Members

I LOVE that poem! I have read it many times in my educational career (even thought it is not one that is usually on the syllabus) and I use it when I teach American Lit!

Gotta love a man who knows his Uncle Walt!

• Members
I LOVE that poem! I have read it many times in my educational career (even thought it is not one that is usually on the syllabus) and I use it when I teach American Lit!

Gotta love a man who knows his Uncle Walt!

Thanks Mikayla! Poetry allows us to express our passions and desires and struggles when the world around us seeks only to minimize us to some etheral standard of normality...Okay, that was a little out there - must be the wine talking...

I also love Unfolded out of the Folds and O Me, O Life!

• Members

I think what you say about poetry is definitely true; it does allow us a more subtle and less blatant way to express our feelings - and a true poet can hide various meanings within his /her poems. Also, as a New Critic, I believe that we can find meaning for ourselves and justify it, when we look hard enough.

I love his poem, All Is Truth, as well as

Had I The Choice:

Had I the choice to tally greatest bards,

To limn their portraits, stately, beautiful, and emulate at will,

Homer, wtih all his wars and warriors - Hector, Achilles, Ajax,

Or Shakespeare's woe-entangled Hamlet, Lear, Othello - Tennyson's fair ladies,

Metre or wit the best, or choice conceit to wield in perfect rhyme,

delight of singers;

These, these O sea, all these I'd gladly barter,

Would you the undulation of one wave, its trick to me transfer,

Or breathe one breath of yours upon my verse,

And leave its odor there.

However, my favorite poet, is probably Seamus Heaney. I did a whole thesis review on some of his more popular 'Bog' poems, my favorite being Punishment:

Punishment

I can feel the tug

of the halter at the nape

of her neck, the wind

on her naked front.

It blows her nipples

to amber beads,

it shakes the frail rigging

of her ribs.

I can see her drowned

body in the bog,

the weighing stone,

the floating rods and boughs.

Under which at first

she was a barked sapling

that is dug up

oak-bone, brain-firkin:

her shaved head

like a stubble of black corn,

her blindfold a soiled bandage,

her noose a ring

to store

the memories of love.

Little adultress,

before they punished you

you were flaxen-haired,

undernourished, and your

tar-black face was beautiful.

My poor scapegoat,

I almost love you

but would have cast, I know,

the stones of silence.

I am the artful voyeur

of your brain's exposed

and darkened combs,

your muscles' webbing

and all your numbered bones:

I who have stood dumb

when your betraying sisters,

cauled in tar,

wept by the railings,

who would connive

in civilized outrage

yet understand the exact

and tribal, intimate revenge.

OK, I will take of my 'Professor' cap now, and leave the poetry corner for the evening! ;)

• Members

You are so right. It seems the mark of great poet is that each person can find their own meaning in the words of another. That makes it transcend time, culture, circumstances, etc.

Thank you for sharing your favorites...Professor Mikayla ;-)

• Members

Ahh, you are welcome! It isn't all the time that I can share my love of poetry on this forum, so when I get a chance, I am allllll over it! Thanks for the diversion.

If you ever want to see any of my personal writings (poetry and whatnot) as I see you have contributed some stories here, check out my blog www.wickedbed.com - (too solicitious?)

• Members
...and a true poet can hide various meanings within his /her poems. Also, as a New Critic, I believe that we can find meaning for ourselves and justify it, when we look hard enough.

I totally do that with music! I dig for personal meaning in the lyrics. It impacts me, moves me, haunts me...

Deep thoughts... LOL

• Members
Ahh, you are welcome! It isn't all the time that I can share my love of poetry on this forum, so when I get a chance, I am allllll over it! Thanks for the diversion.

If you ever want to see any of my personal writings (poetry and whatnot) as I see you have contributed some stories here, check out my blog www.wickedbed.com - (too solicitious?)

I'm happy to oblige the diversion :D

I did visit your blog a long time ago...I need to get back and check it out though. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll post some original stuff some time for your literary opinion :)

• Members
I totally do that with music! I dig for personal meaning in the lyrics. It impacts me, moves me, haunts me...

Deep thoughts... LOL

Yeah, music can so make the mood and intensify the emotion. There are times I hear a song and it instantly reminds of something in my past. I can feel exactly how I felt at that moment and remember details like they were yesterday.

Then there's some music just makes me want to have sex!......LOL (Jose Nunez - Bilingual)

• Members
Yeah, music can so make the mood and intensify the emotion. There are times I hear a song and it instantly reminds of something in my past. I can feel exactly how I felt at that moment and remember details like they were yesterday.

Then there's some music just makes me want to have sex!......LOL (Jose Nunez - Bilingual)

EXACTLY!! ;) (smells sort of do that to me too... yeah in both contexts!)

This reminds me something sort of off topic...

I have always been sort of a music freak... Back when I was involved in a certain church, I was told that if music makes you move then it's evil, as is dancing. (no seriously) So I said. "What about children's music? it has a beat, it makes the kids move, dance etc, how is THAT evil?" The pastor didn't have much of an answer for me except that children are innocent and bla bla bla... But if it is something naturally ingrained in us that we hear a beat or a rhythm and want to move how is that evil??

• Members
EXACTLY!! ;) (smells sort of do that to me too... yeah in both contexts!)

This reminds me something sort of off topic...

I have always been sort of a music freak... Back when I was involved in a certain church, I was told that if music makes you move then it's evil, as is dancing. (no seriously) So I said. "What about children's music? it has a beat, it makes the kids move, dance etc, how is THAT evil?" The pastor didn't have much of an answer for me except that children are innocent and bla bla bla... But if it is something naturally ingrained in us that we hear a beat or a rhythm and want to move how is that evil??

I wont rant... but this really bothers me! Sometimes I think religion does more harm than good!

True, religion can - when it's foundation is formed from rules instead of faith. But that is a topic for another time and another place I think.

• Members
True, religion can - when it's foundation is formed from rules instead of faith. But that is a topic for another time and another place I think.

Yeah... sorry didn't mean to jack your thread.

• Members
Yeah... sorry didn't mean to jack your thread.

No Worries - just didn't want to get mired down. I'd rather focus on things that make me smile....like sun flowers for instance... ;-)

I need to go read some more Walt

• Members
No Worries - just didn't want to get mired down. I'd rather focus on things that make me smile....like sun flowers for instance... ;-)

I need to go read some more Walt

gallery_7403_120_23604.jpg