Official Community Forums Home

Soap-box Rant Of The Day:

• Members

My friend and I were discussing this yesterday. We've all known couples where one of them developed serious health problems and their spouse tenderly cared for and nursed them until the end. Thats part of what marriage is about, being there for each other in good times and bad. BUT...what about cases where the health problems are NOT brought on by an accident of nature but by your own selfish bad habits? What about the woman who eats herself into morbid obesity and can hardly breath or walk anymore, can't stand to be touched because the pain and inflammation of all that weight on her bones has turned her into a virtual Jabba the Hut trapped in her own body. She can no longer do much of anything except continue to eat and the spouse has to take on EVERYTHING. What about the man who developes serious heart or liver problems or renders himself impotent because he drinks until he passes out every night? Or the person who can't go an hour without coughing their head off but keeps smoking those damn cigarettes regardless? It's one thing to support a partner who can't help what has happened to them but I think it's another thing altogether in a case like this. There is NO excuse because kids are educated from the earliest grades about the basics of taking care of yourself for good health. To me a person who continues this self destructive behavior (and they all know they are doing it, just make jokes about it and say "I have no willpower") and just expects their spouse to have to deal with the consequences is a selfish piece of shit! They are NOT living up to their part of the union in the marriage, they are basically saying "I don't give a shit about your feelings, I'm going to do what I want to do and since we're married you have to take it"....kind of leads back to that situation with Mikayla's friend and the wife who refused to put out. If one of the partners blatantly stops contributing to the union/partnership/sharing aspects of the marriage I say the marriage is basically null and void.....of course after many years it's not likely that most people would walk away....they just end up living their lives being miserable, cheated, and unhappy. We've been conditioned to believe that being selfless, sacrificing your wants and needs, and just taking shit with no complaints is the "right" thing to do but more and more I am questioning that reasoning....Like I said....I think it depends on the situation but a selfish partner does NOT deserve the same rights and respect as one who has and would live up to the definition of "marriage" if they could do something about it.

• Members
...a selfish partner does NOT deserve the same rights and respect as one who has and would live up to the definition of "marriage" if they could do something about it.

Here, here, Chloe!! Vent AWAY!!!

• Members

It has always been my opinion if you are in a committed relationship and are unfulfilled, unhappy, basically miserable, and have tried everything within your power to repair that relationship, and nothing seems to work or change then that relationship becomes a destructive one and as hurtful as it maybe it's time to move on.

Each person is entitled to feel loved and be inlove in a positive way.