Official Community Forums Home

Where Is The Kindness!?

angelkisses98

• Members

I work for a school district transporting kids with special needs. Every year we host a toy drive for families who have next to nothing. It has been going on for 2 weeks, and today I found out that only myself and one other person donated a toy!! :angry: We have over 75 people working for our department. And yes, I understand that this economy has everyone pinching pennies right now, but it does not stop my co-workers on spending $7 on smokes. Or there $1.50 Wawa coffee every day. Or the little breakfast club click that has breakfast every day after their bus runs in the morning.

With all the sales right now, how hard is is to take $5 and buy a board game, or $3 will buy you a pack of playdough. So you have to make your own coffee at home and take it with you for 2 days, or skip your little breakfast club for a day. It's not that hard!! I just don't understand.

• Members
I work for a school district transporting kids with special needs. Every year we host a toy drive for families who have next to nothing. It has been going on for 2 weeks, and today I found out that only myself and one other person donated a toy!! :angry: We have over 75 people working for our department. And yes, I understand that this economy has everyone pinching pennies right now, but it does not stop my co-workers on spending $7 on smokes. Or there $1.50 Wawa coffee every day. Or the little breakfast club click that has breakfast every day after their bus runs in the morning.

With all the sales right now, how hard is is to take $5 and buy a board game, or $3 will buy you a pack of playdough. So you have to make your own coffee at home and take it with you for 2 days, or skip your little breakfast club for a day. It's not that hard!! I just don't understand.

I've noticed there is no rhyme or reason to peoples generous/selfish nature. You can only hope the closer christmas comes the more kind hearted and generous they'll get. Don't expect anything, therefore the smallest of givings will feel brighter.

• Members
I've noticed there is no rhyme or reason to peoples generous/selfish nature. You can only hope the closer christmas comes the more kind hearted and generous they'll get. Don't expect anything, therefore the smallest of givings will feel brighter.

It's just sad that people can be so selfish.

• Members

Well for the most part it comes from the society that we have built and allowed to basically run our lives, You look at any one of your co workers and see what they have... Todays society is geared to and pushed into the thinking that material wealth is the most important thing now days and with out it you are no-one.

Look at all the things our kids.... if you have any want this year! I have a 11 yr old son, and the things he wants this year are just nuts... I look back at the things I bought him last year and the most of them haven't been played with since 4 to 6 weeks after christmas.... Sad isn't it....! But that is what we have allowed to happen, the greater majority of people see things as..."MINE, MINE, MINE..." I live in a smaller Lake side town that depends on tourists in the summer for the greater amount of income.... I see people come to town with their porches and other high $$ cars, watch them go into a restaurant and eat.... then stiff the waitress like they don't have the money...! GREED .... thats all it is....! I have been unemployed for over a year now, no work, nothing, but at least when We do go out for our one meal we still go out for once a month... we always leave 4 to 7 bucks for the watress... It is all in the mindset of people.

Sad as it is until everyone wakes up and things change on a country basis where prices are reasonable.... nothing is going to change!!

• Review Team

I agree with you AK, it is crazy how people get inside there own "box" as I call it. Having worked for a non-profit human service agency for several years, I saw it first-hand: people who drive Hummers complaining about the cost of gas and using that as a reason to donate less (or nothing); people whose kid's room decorations cost more than my house give the minimum donation amount to be able to go to the "it" party (and that's the only reason they gave; etc.

But I also saw people who worked a factory for 20 years, made $13 an hour, and give more than the amount to go to the same party, but pass on it because they know how ridiculous it is.

People are people and will do what they feel in their heart is right, but some people's hearts clearly are not in the right place.

• Members
I agree with you AK, it is crazy how people get inside there own "box" as I call it. Having worked for a non-profit human service agency for several years, I saw it first-hand: people who drive Hummers complaining about the cost of gas and using that as a reason to donate less (or nothing); people whose kid's room decorations cost more than my house give the minimum donation amount to be able to go to the "it" party (and that's the only reason they gave; etc.

But I also saw people who worked a factory for 20 years, made $13 an hour, and give more than the amount to go to the same party, but pass on it because they know how ridiculous it is.

People are people and will do what they feel in their heart is right, but some people's hearts clearly are not in the right place.

People who have less give more...I have some awesome friends and family who dropped off some toys for the drive!!

• Members

I think we can all agree the size of your heart and generosity has nothing to do with the size of your wallet. People are people and each gives what they can.

• Members

Yeah, I know I ALWAYS give to every charity i have. I made one woman's day at the mall, she was collecting for the local food shelf and I didn't have anything less than a $20 so I gave her than. She was shocked. Hey, I know I have food in my cupboards but I know that I haven't in the past and so I help when I can. I mean I may not be able to give like that all the time but every little bit counts right? I mean they couldn't even go down to the dollar store and pick up crayons and a coloring book?

• Members
Yeah, I know I ALWAYS give to every charity i have. I made one woman's day at the mall, she was collecting for the local food shelf and I didn't have anything less than a $20 so I gave her than. She was shocked. Hey, I know I have food in my cupboards but I know that I haven't in the past and so I help when I can. I mean I may not be able to give like that all the time but every little bit counts right? I mean they couldn't even go down to the dollar store and pick up crayons and a coloring book?

Exactly!! Whats $2 when you go to wawa twice a day before your run?? so skip a day

• Review Team
Exactly!! Whats $2 when you go to wawa twice a day before your run?? so skip a day

Some people just aren't wired to think that way, IMO. Or, they have wrong ideas about who needs the help. I had a scenario I would present to groups that showed a working mother of one child. In my scenario she made $10 an hour, generally a decent wage around here, and it walked through her expenses in a month and showed how there was no money left at the end of the month for things like unexpected medical or vehicle bills, school supplies, Christmas or birthday gifts, etc. People sometimes think those who could use a little help are lazy, non-working, "welfare" abusers who do not deserve help. In my extensive experience, system-abusers are few and far between.

Thank you Suzy, AK and the others who are assisting those who need it, especially this time of year. :kiss:

• Members

What I've noticed in participating in all kind of charity drives, is that there is a lot of donations the first couple of days, then there is the trickling effect, and the last couple of days seem to be crazy. It's as if it's on the "To Do" list but just keeps getting pushed back. So Don't despair, hopefully you;ll be flooded with gifts in no time.

Angel, one thing I'm curious about. Are these kids parent-less? I'm curious as to why the school or each class doesn't have a polly anna instead of relying on donations? I would think it is more exciting to be a giver as well as a receiver. Dollar stores are every where. Maybe I'm missing something, because people with very little still have something. During this time I personally give to those that truly have nothing. Food kitchens, Homeless shelters, things like that. I understand the holiday spirit, and this is just out of interest that I ask, because you are have a difficult time receiving donations. Is this the only year that has been difficult? I hope I don't sound like a scrooge.

• Members
What I've noticed in participating in all kind of charity drives, is that there is a lot of donations the first couple of days, then there is the trickling effect, and the last couple of days seem to be crazy. It's as if it's on the "To Do" list but just keeps getting pushed back. So Don't despair, hopefully you;ll be flooded with gifts in no time.

Angel, one thing I'm curious about. Are these kids parent-less? I'm curious as to why the school or each class doesn't have a polly anna instead of relying on donations? I would think it is more exciting to be a giver as well as a receiver. Dollar stores are every where. Maybe I'm missing something, because people with very little still have something. During this time I personally give to those that truly have nothing. Food kitchens, Homeless shelters, things like that. I understand the holiday spirit, and this is just out of interest that I ask, because you are have a difficult time receiving donations. Is this the only year that has been difficult? I hope I don't sound like a scrooge.

They go to the local rescue mission to the children living there, as well as the food bank. The food bank makes up little "gift baskets" to the families who come through and have children.

Last year was just OK compared to the previous years. I had to stop buy the office to drop off some toys my aunt donated for the drive, and there were no new toys other then what myself and co-worker put in earlier this week.

• Members
Thank you Suzy, AK and the others who are assisting those who need it, especially this time of year. :kiss:

No worries babe, I do it because I know that I have needed the help before and there is always a chance that I will again. SO I put out what I hope will be returned to me if I ever need it. All about Karma. I give a $20 to charity because the fates contrived to bring awesome invaulable people like you into my life!