Official Community Forums Home

Why Can't I Have A Stable Workplace?!?!?

Jo Savage

• Members

I feel sort of bad jumping back onto the forum after such a long inactiveness with a rant but I can't take this job much longer. I moved from MS to VA in Sept (been absolutely busy ever since)and got right in at a job with a pet store. I have to say I have fun with the job itself. I love animals and one of my best friends from early high school is a manager there. I got along with everyone but our manager is an unprofessional psycho. I know bitching about your boss is somthing everyone does but I don't know why I always wind up with bosses who just can't act like adults. I come back from a visit to my family to find that my friend Heather has quit and my other friend Charlie may be next on the chopping block. Our boss demoted Heather and was going to give her position to someone who is completely unprepared for the job because she likes this person a lot. Not only that, but our boss has dropped me down to one day this week, which worries me because she never outright fires anyone because she's too cowardly. She just slowly phases you out. I've seen her do it to two people and she is constantly threatening us that she'll fire everyone and re-hire an entire new staff even though we do eveything she asks and always stay busy. I have decided to wait until next week to see if this was just a hiccup because of holiday craziness, but if this is the case, I'm not waiting around.

I am so tired of falling into these part time jobs where everyone has something against each other and this drama flies everywhere. I mean, its a PET STORE! Why anyone should even be having these crazy soap operas going on in the work place is beyong me. It makes me worry about when I graduate college and begin a real career. I don't want to deal with the stress of drama forever. Its ridiculous that people can't just get a long and do their jobs without picking at each other. ARGH!!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of working with other people. No matter what or where you work, there will ALWAYS be drama! The best thing to do is not stir any pots gossip wise, and just keep your opinions to yourself with the other co-workers.

That said, if this is a large pet store chain, you do have some options! Get the names of the people she phased out if you know them, call corporate. Many places, especially chain stores, have places you can call to report abuse, most of the time anonamously. If it isn't something that can be kept anonamously, then ask them if you can please try to stay out of it as much as possible. They will do an investigation, and see the schedulling issues.

If you are full time, and are guarenteed a certain amount of hours per week, you can also call corporate and let them know that you are NOT getting your schedulled hours. If you are part time, there's not much you can do as far as that goes. Cuz you will hear the familiar phrase "Schedulling to the needs of the store", and, right after the holidays, is NOT a high hourly schedulled area. The full timers usually get the hours first, as they should.

Good luck.

• Members

I wish we were a part of a chain. We're a locally founded store and we only have two locations. My boss was put in charge by the owner and she pretty much runs both stores. There's really no one above her to go to except for the owner who is good friends with her.

I try to stay out of the drama. I work day and night shift so I hear it from both ends, so I am in a unique position to see why each shift complains about each other. Unfortunately, the boss works only day shift and just tells night shift to stop doing things or to change something just because the day shift doesn't approve. She doesn't spend any time with night shift or try to understand what goes on in the store at night, which is where her recent actions are coming from.

I know what you're saying about always having to deal with other people's drama, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I want to confront her and demmand my hours because I am full time, but she's scary and I don't want to. I know, its pathetic. :unsure:

• Members

If you confront her, I might suggest doing it in a way that is not nasty or that puts her on the defensive, but not in a timid, groveling or walking-on-egg-shells way either. Assertive, but not aggressive, if that makes sense. Keep it business, keep emotions out of it. Maybe something like, "Pardon me, Ms. Trunchbull, I was supposed to be full time, but am only on for one day this week. When can I expect to get back to full time?"

• Members

You're right Square. I was angry so I almost went about it in a bad way but I guess my patience paid off. I'm back to normal hours now. I'm still sad my friend left but I guess we'll just have to spend time together outside of work.