Tatoos

T0920K

Tattoos are they sexy?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Sexy or not

• Yes
    • No

• Members

I didn't vote. Neither sexy nor unsexy in my book, so neither a yes or (nor?) a no.

Maybe they tend to draw my eye a little bit, but all things being equal I don't think I'd pick a girl with a tattoo over one without, or vise versa.

It all seems to be kind of a fad, though. At one point it was hot cars and greasy hair. Then it was long hair and ratty clothes. Then it was green and yellow and pink and purple mohawks and goofy clothes and mostly sorry excuses for hot cars. Then on to grungy and baggy clothes. Now it's tattoos and a face and maybe a body full of metal. I wonder what will be next?

• Like 1

• Members

I will admit that a band around a guy's built bicep or a cute, LITTLE one on a tight YOUNG girl's hip, ass, or ankle can be sexy. A sexy little discreet surprise. I can appreciate the artistry and colors and each person's individuality in them. I've seen some really amazing ones on people.....BUT personally I am not a fan of being covered in them. I just don't think you can look elegant or classy with large areas of your body graffitied over. And no matter how well you take care of yourself, at some point age hits you with loss of muscle tone and crepey, saggy skin and no offense, but there is nothing sexy about the used up old con/bar slut look. So while I woudn't be attracted to someone just because they had them, I would not be detracted from getting to know someone who did...the attraction comes from deeper stuff than just initial appearance.

• Members

Just an honest opinion here, I personally dont care to see women with tattoos... Yes, I have seen some rather interesting tattoos on women, however I dont see them as very attractive, nor do I see them sexually appealing on women...I personally have tattoos myself, but I am not a woman....

Now, some may say its sexist, or biased, but No, its just my personal opinion, nothing more...

It depends on what the tattoos are, where they are, and if they're professionally done. I don't like prison tats, or death/gory/gross tats. I don't like facial tats, and I don't care for those that are either sexual, scary, gross, or portraying death where anyone can see them (especially kids). I have 2 tattoos, and have always gotten compliments on them. My husband has 2 right now, and wants 2 more in honor of his deceased brother & sister. I want a couple more, all representing something. I believe I've posted pix of mine before as well.

• Members

As long you don't have the mindset that women with tattoos are dirty or have no interest in them because of a tattoo. :P

NO please dont read more into what I have posted...

• Members

Obviously you never seen mine then. :lol:

I havent seen yours either, please enlighten the forum audience...B)

• Members

I don't have any tattoos (nor do I want any ) I majored in Art in high school. I have a great appreciation for the artisticness which goes into them. We've all seen the tattoo shows. It's AMAZING to me how talented these artists are. Tattoos --like anything--are a personal choice. I love my skin and personally don't want to cover it up. But that doesn't mean that I would look down on someone because they had one.

My father in -law who almost is 80- is a Korean War Veteran. He has 7 tattoos which he got while overseas at war. (including one on his leg of Jayne Mansfield !! )There was a time when he would cover all his tattoos up as he was embarrassed about them. He no longer does that. When I see much older men with tattoos and I can tell they got them while at war, there is a sense of great respect and appreciation I have for them. These men went to war for us. Sometimes when I see kids today--they are completely irresponsible and trying to be someone else---the tattoos, the piercings, the colored hair---There is a HUGE difference between these generations.

With all that said, some tattoos can be sexy on women if done right. (Pamela Anderson's band on her arm is pretty sexy ---)

• Members

I have several including a large sleeve of ivy on my right arm. It all depends on the artist, subject, and location. I will say this though, it drives me nuts when people get tattoos just to have a tattoo. The art can be amazing but in 5-10 years they are the people who are going to hate the tattoo and complain about it.

I gotta say that tattoos are personal choice. And to judge someone without knowing them, the story behind the tattoo, or at least being able to appreciate the art and talent that goes into a good professional tattoo is ridiculous. We all do things everyday that someone else may not like or approve of, being it a hair cut or color, the way we dress or the words we use. So just remember that next time you judge someone harshly before you know their story.

Off my soap box, sorry.

• Members

Okay :) I'm sorry its so big and the pics aren't that great. If there is a better place I can put this let me know. I tried to make an album but couldn't.

6574_100493249964524_100000115479629_11390_246213_n.jpg

I Most Like your She Devil Betty Boop and your Literary Quote....I Like Uniqueness...Nicely done...B)

• Members

I gotta say that tattoos are personal choice. And to judge someone without knowing them, the story behind the tattoo, or at least being able to appreciate the art and talent that goes into a good professional tattoo is ridiculous. We all do things everyday that someone else may not like or approve of, being it a hair cut or color, the way we dress or the words we use. So just remember that next time you judge someone harshly before you know their story.

Off my soap box, sorry.

Brandy, I like your Betty Boop tattoo as well !!

To SuzyP--I never said I was judging people with tattoos--or piercings, or the multicolored hair. I NEVER judge people. I'm a hairdresser also. I've actually DONE that muticolored hair on young girls. I have a great friend who has numerous tattoos, piercings and long hair. He's a HUGE biker guy--

He looks like a " Hell's Angel ". I"m sure at a glance there are lots of people who would immediately judge him without knowing him. He has a heart of gold and he would do anything for me or anyone else.

I said that young kids today are trying to be someone they are not. And that's VERY true. All you have to do is go into any school or mall and you'll see it. My girls are 12 and 14. Some of the girls in their school ALREADY have piercings in their face- lips-belly button etc..... Things are very different with this generation that previous ones. Each generation has it's own fads. But I think that this generation has the hardest time. There are kids in my girls school who are CUTTING themselves also.

Tattoos are a personal choice. I can appreciate the artistry of them on other people. But I think that some kids today are swayed to get them "just because" everyone else is doing it.

• Members

Brandy, I like your Betty Boop tattoo as well !!

Tattoos are a personal choice. I can appreciate the artistry of them on other people. But I think that some kids today are swayed to get them "just because" everyone else is doing it.

Yes, I agree Tattoos are of a personal choice, as well as Personal Taste...

I have seen some Tatts and really thought how amazing a piece of Ink has looked, then I have seen some Tatts and though "seriously WTF was he/she thinking"...

As for sexy or sexually stimulating... No, I dont believe I have ever seen any tattoo and thought it looked "Sexy" or sexually stimulating...Cute maybe, but not Sexy...

• Members

To SuzyP

Oh honey, I never meant you at all!! Or most anyone on this board. I just hate when anyone refers to it as disgusting, trashy, or dirty as a whole, cause I've seen tattoos that fit those categories! :) \

I agree, there is a large number of people, of varying ages, that got tattoos just to have one or to fit in. I got my first one at 13, WAY TOO YOUNG. And while I knew I wanted one, I wish I had put more time into selecting the original design and artist (I've since covered it) I don't think some people realize tattoos are really forever. The process to get them removed is expensive and painful and usually leaves some pretty serious scars. That is the only part about tattoos that I don't like, there is no way for the artist to tell who is serious about it and who isn't.

• Members

PS We New Yorkers gotta stick together!

Oh, I'm so glad that I didn't offend you !! Yes, we New Yorker's have to stick together. Living here in NY I think we see it all, don't we ?? (although, Ready, you can jump in as I'm sure you see plenty in California too ! :rolleyes: )

I was at a bike show in NYC a few weeks ago. This thread reminded me of something that was on the front of a vendors booth---I just CAN'T remember exactly what it said though....It was a funny joke about free Tattoo removal. The best I can do is this YouTube video I found---- "Crazy Redneck Tattoo Removal" OMG.......it hurts me to watch....

• Members

Oh, I'm so glad that I didn't offend you !! Yes, we New Yorker's have to stick together. Living here in NY I think we see it all, don't we ?? (although, Ready, you can jump in as I'm sure you see plenty in California too ! :rolleyes: )

I was at a bike show in NYC a few weeks ago. This thread reminded me of something that was on the front of a vendors booth---I just CAN'T remember exactly what it said though....It was a funny joke about free Tattoo removal. The best I can do is this YouTube video I found---- "Crazy Redneck Tattoo Removal" OMG.......it hurts me to watch....

I'm pretty inked out and I went down to visit my dad in Texas, I turned a few heads, LOL.

That video looks soo painful!!!

• Members

I do agree with those who have said many Kids today and young Adults are merely obtaining Tattoos because it is the "In Thing To Do" and sometimes even peer pressure...

Many of these same Young Adults, will regret the many Tattoos they are placing upon their bodies now, as Many Fortune 500 Employers and Our US Military have automatic disqualifiers for any person which have Tattoos on certain parts of their bodies, I.e., Facial Tattoos, Neck, Hands, Inside Of The Mouth, etc., Im not too sure about piercings, though if you wear a large doughnut in one of your ear lobes, I could understand (which I think is completely foolish)...

Just a word of caution for those still young enough and thinking along these lines...

• Members

At the risk of going off on a bit of a tangent, while I am not personally big on tattoos, I am also a believer in not judging a book by it's cover. The idea that an employer wouldn't hire someone, or that a traveller is bothered by being greeted at the hotel front desk, by someone with piercings or tattoos is just plain silly to me. Ge over it. They are the same as anyone else on the inside they still have red blood and cry salty tears. I've known people, usually middle aged or older people, say some pretty negative things about tattooed people, or make comments about someone with tattoos being tough and not someone to mess with. It's kind of funny to see them backpedal when I explain my wife has a half dozen tattoos. (Because I'm so geeky and straight-and-narrow, they don't expect that my wife is this "tough-chick," tattoo-sportin' rebel.)

Yeah, I can see as an employer, with people who are going to represent your company, that you would want to draw the line at swastikas or sexually graphic tattoos that are going to be out in the open for all the world to see. But as for the rest of them, grow up and don't be so judgemental.

I also don't understand why the military would be so down on them. Weren't sailers and soldiers back in the day pioneers of tattooing? And what on earth is wrong with having a tattoo in the mouth, unless you're a horse and people are going to be looking in there all the time?

• Members

At the risk of going off on a bit of a tangent, while I am not personally big on tattoos, I am also a believer in not judging a book by it's cover. The idea that an employer wouldn't hire someone, or that a traveller is bothered by being greeted at the hotel front desk, by someone with piercings or tattoos is just plain silly to me. Ge over it. They are the same as anyone else on the inside they still have red blood and cry salty tears. I've known people, usually middle aged or older people, say some pretty negative things about tattooed people, or make comments about someone with tattoos being tough and not someone to mess with. It's kind of funny to see them backpedal when I explain my wife has a half dozen tattoos. (Because I'm so geeky and straight-and-narrow, they don't expect that my wife is this "tough-chick," tattoo-sportin' rebel.)

Yeah, I can see as an employer, with people who are going to represent your company, that you would want to draw the line at swastikas or sexually graphic tattoos that are going to be out in the open for all the world to see. But as for the rest of them, grow up and don't be so judgemental.

I also don't understand why the military would be so down on them. Weren't sailers and soldiers back in the day pioneers of tattooing? And what on earth is wrong with having a tattoo in the mouth, unless you're a horse and people are going to be looking in there all the time?

Not a tangent at all...

But here is a link stating some disqualifiers for anyone attempting to enlist into the USMC, per Military Entrance Processing Stations...

My link

Meps Disqualification List

• Lack of depth perception (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
  • Color blindness (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
  • A history of mental depression and/or other mental health problems
  • Tattoos on the head, neck, hands, fingers or inside of the mouth

And YES, many Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines do indeed get Tattoos while in their respective branch of Service (Including Myself)...But they were not Tattooed (Nor I) prior to joining their selected Service...

Im not judging anyone with a Tattoo, just stating what guidelines have been set forth...

• Members

Not a tangent at all...

But here is a link stating some disqualifiers for anyone attempting to enlist into the USMC, per Military Entrance Processing Stations...

My link

Meps Disqualification List

• Lack of depth perception (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
  • Color blindness (This will only disqualify for certain jobs; not the military in general)
  • A history of mental depression and/or other mental health problems
  • Tattoos on the head, neck, hands, fingers or inside of the mouth

And YES, many Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines do indeed get Tattoos while in their respective branch of Service (Including Myself)...But they were not Tattooed (Nor I) prior to joining their selected Service...

Im not judging anyone with a Tattoo, just stating what guidelines have been set forth...

There is also a rule that goes to the effect that you cannot have more that 25% of any visible cover in tattoos. Plus the higher up you go they prefer you don't have tattoos because they are identifiable.

While i think you shouldn't be discriminated against because of your tatts, but everyone who gets one has to do so knowing that you may be asked to cover them, and not being able to adhere to a dress code is a problem for all employers.

Tattoo story. So a few years ago I was managing a restaurant. One of the girls who worked for me came in one day all excited she was going to get another tattoo. We were all excited for her, then she told us she was going to get her boyfriend's name tattooed on her neck. I laughed out loud, I thought she was joking. Nope she was serious. I warned it is is the mark of death on a relationship and she did it any way. literally a day after she got this giant tattoo on her next, he dumped her. I'm not going to lie, I laughed.

Guest eminatic
the idea that an employer wouldn't hire someone, or that a traveller is bothered by being greeted at the hotel front desk, by someone with piercings or tattoos is just plain silly to me. Ge over it.

I think it makes perfect sense for an employer to disqualify someone for having tattoos. While it may not be "right" or "sane" or "ethical" for people to make judgements based on appearance, you'd have to be in serious denial to honestly think that the world doesn't function that way. it sucks but there will always be people out there who will judge, and employers know this and do not want to give reasons right off the bat to shoo away business. why would an employer purposely shoot themselves in the foot for unrealistic idealism?

/tangent

i'm not saying that i think people with tattoos are dirty/trashy/etc, but i really, really do not like the look of tattos-- any tattoos, or the look of ink under skin in general. it's not an automatic disqualifier for dating either. i'm never rude about it, as all of my friends have at least a few tattoos- i just usually refrain from saying anything at all about them when I am around people with tattoos. unless they are constantly putting it in my face and fishing for compliments, then i usually say something along the lines of "i don't really like tattoos"

• Members

I think it makes perfect sense for an employer to disqualify someone for having tattoos.

There's a word for this: discrimination. And that, is illegal. Having a tattoo does not inhibit a person's ability to preform a job. Those of us with tattoos know how to cover them up. Not hiring someone because they have a tattoo is an easy was to get sued and owe someone a lot of money.

employers know this and do not want to give reasons right off the bat to shoo away business. why would an employer purposely shoot themselves in the foot for unrealistic idealism?

Actually most employers now realize that tattoos are not a minority, and that again, not hiring someone because they have a tattoo is illegal, just as it would be to not hire someone because they're Asian, female, black, male, gay or any thing else. Employers simply tell employees to cover them, if its something like a neck or a face, they need to wear make up, or a bandage or wear your hair so that it covers. A good tattoo artist will actually talk someone out of a neck or face tattoo since they are so hard to cover. Further the few customer that they will lose doesn't offset the millions they could potentially lose in a discrimination case.

Guest eminatic

lol, it is actually not explicitly illegal to not hire someone because of tattoos. there are MANY employers who will not hire someone with visible tattoos. covered tattoos are not the issue here- i was referring to obvious face/hand tattoos in my original post. a covered tattoo is a tattoo an employer doesn't have to know about. but you wouldn't hear an employer say "can you cover up your asian-ness a little more?" you have a right to express yourself in a non harmful way, employers have rights too. it is definitely nowhere near the level of discrimination you claim, you are not born with tattoos as you are born female,black,etc. you voluntarily choose to get a tattoo, and the only visible tattoos that are explicitly protected under the law are those associated with a religion.