Official Community Forums Home

House repairs and the cost

krisleightate

• Members

OMG! I just sat down and actually figured up how much it would cost to fix all that is wrong with the house that my mother owns.  I live with my mom. Yes it is sad, but hey at least I get to be a stay at home single mom.  Anyway.  It is an old (original red shag carpeting anyone?) single wide mobile home with an add on that doubles the space.  So yeah lots of stuff just worn totally out.  It would only cost around $22,000 more to just tear this down and get a brand new double wide.... I am kind of in shock.  $33,00 in repairs needed to our home.  I mean it isn't anything that HAS to be done right now, but it is stuff that does need to be done sooner rather than later.  So my baby girl goes to Pre-K next year so I will be getting a job, can you guess where my pay check will go? LOL  

So with the fact that home repairs can get to be so high do y'all think it is better to rent or own?

• Members

I am thinking owning is better, because even though we have all these repairs that have to be done, with out a rent payment every month (Mom 100% owns the house, no mortgage) we are actually able to save up every month.  I just wish I had some income to help pay for these repairs.  Next year the little one goes to school so I will have a job then hopefully.

Maybe one day I will own my own house, that would be cool.

• Like 1

• Members

I just bought a house and I've been renting for 18 yrs.  It's crazy to think that if I owned at the beginning I'd be over halfway paid off.  No I'll be retired when  I pay off the house.  Owning is definitely better.  However the fixing part is already a bit of a problem.  Just little stuff for now but big things in the future. Got to save up.

• Like 1

• Members

Cyn, I know what you mean.  When we first noticed the bathroom needed work it was just a little thing and we fixed it.  But in fixing that problem we realized that our bathtub wobbles, like actually rocks back and forth... So that and getting the house leveled and getting new subflooring in my room are the next big things, in that order. lol  But I watch how my mom doesn't have to stress to make rent or mortgage payments, then I watch how stressed my dad and step mom are to make their rent I know that I would rather own when I finally get out on my own again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've rented all of my life, I'd say renting. The costs of major repairs falls on the owners. Taxes too.

And, frankly, I believe homes are way over-priced anyway! It's like a never-ending money pit.

That said, I do wish I owned a house, just for roots and the freedom to do whatever the hell I wanted with it!

• Like 2