Official Community Forums Home

How mental illness Hurts my sex life

Kcandy28

I'm 28 years old and I'm diagnosed with borderline personality disorder which is a lot like bipolar except it is developed through trauma rather than being born with it. With that being said my drama has affected my love life with every single partner I have ever had. Sex is not fun unless I'm drunk and I don't  Masturbate. Is there anyone else out there?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry to hear this. 

I do not have personal experience with this. However, my step sister is paranoid schizophrenic, and unless she is stoned or drunk, she has such severe delusions that make it impossible to enjoy sex. At least, that's what she told me YEARS ago.....she's more decreased now (won't continue to take her meds), so I have no idea.

Be very careful if you are on meds and drink......that can be dangerous. 

Much love and blessings.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m also 28 years

young currently dating a 46 year old man I believe to be a paranoid schizophrenic who constantly sees hears believes I’m screwing everyone that comes to mind whether it be from an innocent conversation or his phone rings whoever called him there’s something going on between me and that person right then. As you can imagine our sex life has taken quite the blow due to his delusional thoughts and he doesn’t or won’t seek help or medication to deal with it so we can live a healthy positive life rather he self medicates  with illegal street drugs. Making things that much worse.

• Like 1

• Members

Self medicating is selfish.. Reach out to people on this site. I learned issues can blow up with out talking.

All the best!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I too have a personality disorder and have been to many doctors, therapists,  witch doctors and whoever will listen to me. It is despicable what people do to children and go unpunished. In my case, i do not have multiple personalities per se, but i am “moody “ according to some. Almost like a bipolar personality. The reason, i feel, is because the “mean me”, the cynic, negative me comes out to protect the rejected, hurt child- the nice guy my closest friends and family know. I take medicine to help me with depression but refuse to take more or other drugs because i want to have a semi normal life not live in a zombie, numb state. I am extremely fortunate that both me and my wife are professional health care workers and understand each other’s emotional trauma imposed by selfish, evil adults who were supposed to take care of us and hurt us instead. Some knowingly and some by forcing their narrow-minded beliefs.

work on trusting others, one at a time, so that the persecutional paranoia is suppressed. Learn that no one is perfect and also most people are not “out to get you” either.  Take your medication, even if you feel good and don’t think you need it anymore  or you think it is not working. 

To enjoy sex you must be drunk? Why?  What happens when you have sex sober? Do you feel sex is “dirty” or is it physically painful or do you have a self image problem? Talk to a good psychiatrist who can diagnose your condition and medicate you if needed then have him refer you to a good therapist who can teach you the way to enjoy life-specially your sex life. 

Good luck. Life is short and is as good as you make it. Don’t be in a hurry to find someone. Remember that having no partner is much, much better than having a bad partner. Work on loving yourself first then the sky is the limit 

Edited by Seekingxxxfun
Spelling, wrong choice of words
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 6/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, Kcandy28 said:

I'm 28 years old and I'm diagnosed with borderline personality disorder which is a lot like bipolar except it is developed through trauma rather than being born with it. With that being said my drama has affected my love life with every single partner I have ever had. Sex is not fun unless I'm drunk and I don't  Masturbate. Is there anyone else out there?

Similar here.  I suffer from depression developed from trauma.  Difficult for me to trust people which makes intimacy impossible.  Without intimacy sex can't be great.  

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A lot of antidepressants can affect your libido, getting wet, erections, delayed cumming,  sweating, lose concentration, being fidgety.

Abuse of alcohol is not recommended,. When I drink it's just a couple of wine glasses, and cocktails, I rarely drink beer.  Please don't get stoned or drunk.