Official Community Forums Home

Decreased Libido

Kbaby

• Members

does anyone know if birth control pills lowers you sex drive? I'm on Yasmin and I've noticed that I don't get as horny as I once did...........just wondering if anyone experiences this on BC pills.....(p.s. I've been on them for 10 yrs)

• Members

Howard's info is a good starting point, but even though you have been on the pill for 10 years, did you just recently start on Yasmin? If I'm not mistaken, that is a fairly new one on the market.

I for one found my libido decreased when on the pill.

• Members

YES! Ironically, BC pills CAN decrease your libido! It is ironic because you take them to be safe while having sex, but then don't want to. I was on Yasmin, I changed because it did drop my libido - a bit - but still. If I notice it, I had to change it!

ALso, many doctors will suggest that after 5-10 years you give your body a break from the pills - have you spoke to your doctor? My doctor took me off after the 5 year mark and suggested I let my body readjust. This might be something to discuss with him or her!

Mikayla

• Members

I will call my doctor to see if there is another pill to switch to...............did you notice an increas in libido right away after stopping the pill? maybe I will choose another method all together.

• Members

I'm no longer on the pill, but I was for about 15 years. I was on Ortho Novum 777 for most of that time, then was switched to Ortho Low when that came out.

It didn't happen right off, but after a few years, yah, my sex drive went down the toilet, too. *chuckle* Once I got off the pill, I think it wasn't long (A month? That seems to make sense, anyway.) before all systems were go and my husband was also a much happier camper. :D

Because I was on the pill for so long, I did ask my doctor that question, about if I needed to give my body a break period and get off the pill for a while. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she told me that because pills have been changed over the years, there's no longer a need for women to do that. They're much 'better' than they used to be. Obviously, I suggest asking your doctor (or, preferably a pharmacist, because as previously mentioned, they are schooled in the drugs, their interactions and make-ups, whereby your doctor isn't to that extent and may have to go by what an outdated drug guide has to tell them)!

• Members

I think since I started taking the new Yaz that it has increased my libido. It might be just me, but, I've definatly noticed. That, or I'm now enjoying sex a lot more then before.

• Members

I don't take any other meds.............and it didn't start right away, it was also after being on the pill a while.......I enjoy sex but am not as horny as I once was.........I want to know if there is another method of birth control that doesn't mess with your hormones..........I think the pill also gives me a little anxiety as well, Iwas told that all BC pills can cause anxiety anyone else have that side affect?

• Members

From what I've heard about Yaz, it is totally different than the older BC Pills. Not sure why or how, haven't bothered to research it because I don't plan to use it, but have seen the ads for it. But the Pill has definitely improved over the course of the years.

As for other methods (kbaby), it really depends on how safe you want to me. My husband and I used foam by itself for all the time I was breast feeding, and some other times, and the only time it wasn't effective was during a repeat performance when we didn't use more foam. I thank God daily for that "oops" as I can't imagine life without my youngest child. Foam and condoms together are extremely reliable. What I didn't like about that was once the foam was put in, oral sex was out for me [to receive] unless we stopped and I went and douched.

There are the old standbys of diaphrams (hated them) and IUDs, both that work without hormones. I know IUDs are still available, but you don't hear much about them now with the Pill, rings, patches, etc.

I never felt any anxiety due to the Pill. My only side effect was the decreased libido.