Official Community Forums Home

Jelly Toys

• Members

So i just bought this waterproof jelly vibrator thing, and i read that they are supposed to be replaced every 6 months... does that just depend on the amount of time you use it? also, if i always use a condom over it does that make a difference with how long i can keep it? I havent actually tried it out yet, and chances are I won't be able to use it very often so if anyone knows anything about this let me know, thanks =)

• Members

Hello and Welcome Tootimind!!!! The reason they are suppose to be replaced about every six months is because even though you wash them with antibacterial soap and water you really can't per say sterilize them, like you can with some of the others, glass ones for instance. Sometimes in that amount of time to they can get "gummy".

I will admit that I have had a jelly toy now for about 9 months. I take very good care of it, before and after each use I wash it with antibacterial soap and water and store it back in the box it came in or a box I bought for it. As far as how much you use it I really don't think that matters on how long it last as long as you are caring for it properly. I may be wrong though. I am sure others here with have a little more information for you and advice but I wanted to at least respond and let you know my thoughts.

Good luck and Welcome again. ;)

• Members

Katprr is correct - you can not sterilize a jelly toy. The material in itself is porous, meaning it has thousands of minute holes all over. These holes get bacteria in them - as well as get larger over time. She is correct, that BEFORE and AFTER every use you should wash your toy in warm water with anti-bacterial soap, let it dry thouroughly.

Using a condom can increase the life of your toy - I would suggest NOT using a lubricated condom and applying lubricant on top of the condom. The lubrication that may get inside the condom, and hence on the toy, can get the toy sticky and the bacteria will more of less "stick" to it a little more.

So, use your toy properly, wash your toy thoroughly, and your toy should last quite a while! The 6 month rule is pretty general, and I would abide by it - but if you do everything I ask, then I would feel safe suggesting that 9-10 months would be OK, as long as you are not using the toy every day!

Mikayla