Official Community Forums Home

Silicone Lubes Vs Silicone Toys?

• Members

We just got a hot tub and I ordered some waterproof lube for sex and toy use while soaking. The info about the lube says it's silicone based and should not be used with silicone toys. This may sound silly but how do I know what my toys are made of? Some are like clear jellies, some are cyberskin, most are rubbery mystery plastics. If I accidently mix silicone with silicone what will happen? Needless to say I don't want to gum up the new tub or my play parts!

• Members

using a silicone lube with a silicone toy will corrode the toy and is a big no-no! Most silicone toys are very smooth and do not have the sticky feel that some jelly toys can have. I don't know of a sure fire way to tell which are and which are not, but maybe someone else will be able to.

I agree with Howard here, the best bet, if you don't know what a toy is made of, is to go with a water-based lube.

Usually, the packaging will say if a toy made of silicone, or not. Some newer silicone toys are actually safe to use with silicone lubes, but again, the packaging will say if it's ok. If the toy doesn't say what it's made of, I usually assume that it's not made of silicone.

You can also go to the maker of the toy's website, and find out what the item may be made of, off their site.

• Members

The general rule seems to be if a toy has Silicone or Latex in it, it says so on the packaging. I have never had a silicone toy that DIDN'T boast that it was silicone.

Cyberskin is easy to recognize - although not all cyberskin toys have silicone. There is a new derivative of cyberskin, that I think is called "soft skin" that doesn't have silicone in it.

I would stick to using the silicone lube in the hot tub, but use the toys that are jelly like only. If you use a water based lube in your water fun, it will not work as long and you may end up chaffed and sore. If you insist on using silicone toys IN the water, you must use a water-based lube.

There are so many ways to get around this - try perching yourself on the side of the tub for "half in / half out" of water play. This gives your partner a thrilling, in your face view of the action. Then, if you want to do underwater play, use the water based lube - but really SOAK it on!

• Members

Thanks for the great info everyone...and such a quick response! My Hubby and I each buy toys from various places and we disgard the packaging once we've tried them a couple of times to make sure they work. So at this point most of the items in our toy box are of unknown origin and the only names they have are the nicknames we've bestowed upon some of the favorites. As for playing it safe by sticking with the water based lubes we really do need the slickest products we can use. Hubby has ED issues (seen doc and Urologist, it's a valve problem and there isn't much to be done) so very slick lube can make the difference between great and painful for him. But the need to be certain about what our toys are made of sounds like a great excuse to continue to add to the collection anyway!

Thanks again,

2Shameless

If you're going to be adding to the toy collection, I would suggest that if you're going to buy many different types of toys, somehow seperating them by materials. Or keep them in their plastic packaging, and in a bigger box. That way, you know what's what.