Official Community Forums Home

Rude Or What!

• Members

Take it a step further. Ask them who their complaint officer is for HIPAA is and make a complaint. They have an obligation under the HIPAA privacy act to keep your information as private as possible because its likely that other more sensitive information is being heard as well. They have to complete several hours of training to be in compliance with this and know the fines can be as stiff as $250,000 and up to 10 years in jail.

Thurisas.

• Members

Yea, they used to ask me this at the front desk when I checked in for my appointment. YIKES. I never thought anything about it until my answer was "right now", (that is embarassing...) i realized that it wasn't OK to ask me that in front of the waiting room... So in my semi-PMS state i said "Do you really think that is an appropriate question to ask right here?" and they said "very well...". I got a few girl-power looks on the way out. lol.

Before I had my daughter, I wasn't overly shy about stuff like that, and didn't really care, since it's a natural & normal thing to go thru (as far as periods go), and I only had ONE doctor's office that had a pushy receptionist, who thought it was her job to get as much of that info as possible, instead of the nurse that you saw right after her. She asked me rather loudly if I was sexually active, and, with a look of "Oh no you didn't", I asked her if SHE was sexually active. ("Why, are you??") I turned on my heel, marched to the nurse and sat down and talked with her. She was thrilled that someone had the balls to do that.

Some medical professionals do get so use to asking these sorts of questions, that they really don't think it's a big deal, like they're asking about the weather. Some people have more issues with thses sorts of prying questions than others, and they need to be made aware that some people are more shy than others.