Official Community Forums Home

Insurance Rates

pappyld04

• Members

Now that the law requires insurance it might have been foreseen that there should also be a cap on the rise in cost. My last policy was $260 for 3 vehicles. I went online to get quotes a few months back for just the Cadillac. Now in 25 years behind the wheel I have never had a wreck in a car and my last on a Bike was over 20 years ago, not my fault. My last ticket of any sort was over a decade ago. The cheapest that I was quoted was $18? for 6 months. Everyone else was in the $300 range and tried to tell me that this was the cheapest. When I called them a liar they said that the one who quoted the 18? was shady at best. Progressive wanted $300 for 6mos. and they wanted to see the deed to my house.???? What the hell is going on with this?? I've taken the Defensive Driving Course in the Army and have never had a wreck. I gave up driving about 3 years ago due to Blood Pressure worries that could have caused a wreck so I gave the car to my gf. Now that my BP is more controlled and I know well when it is flaring up I am told that in order to resume with my former insurer that I must cover at least 2 of my vehicles. Why aren't these people reined in and forced to comply with something? There appears to be no end to the gouging that we are forced to endure.

I think the price of insurance is ridiculous. But, the prices of cars, car parts, and fixing them up is also ridiculous too!! Jeez! I had, back in 1993, a 91' Ford TEMPO of all things, and, got into an accident with it. A piece of PLASTIC trim, about, MAYBE 4" long, new, from the factory, was $180!!! Thankfully, I had a "crooked" body shop, and they were able to fix my car at a lower rate, so I had no out of pocket costs. And, they guaranteed the work for the whole time I owned the car.

We insure 2 vehicles, both relatively new, (both 2004), car and a truck, no accidents on our records anymore, and no speeding tickets. We've broken it down to monthly payments, and it just went down from $175 a month (full coverage), to $150 per month here in Texas, insured by Geico. It's a little higher, but, we've been with them for almost 4 yrs, and when Hurricane Rita came thru here, and I called them to tell them that my insurance payment was going to be about 2 weeks late since I was an evacuee, the FIRST thing the rep asked me was if I was ok, and if EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY was ok, not "when can you get the payment in?". That, to me, spoke volumes. GREAT customer service won out there for sure!!!

One thing that royally pissed me off, is that, I was with State Farm from the age of 16, until I was 32 years old. Never cancelled, never had late payments, nothing. I sold my car, cancelled my policy, naturally. When we got our cars 4 months later, they wanted me to have a CREDIT CHECK ran!!! I was like, you have GOT to be kidding me!!! I was a customer for 16 yrs, and you want to run a CREDIT CHECK??? I told them that I would NEVER deal with them again. I was totally insulted by that.

What also irritates me, is that, if you need assistance (state), they don't take your car insurance into consideration, yet they will your FREAKIN' CELL PHONE, since "everyone has them now". Um, hello?? Everyone HAS to have car insurance if they have a car on the road!! To me, cell phones are NOT a necessaty, but car insurance is state mandated. Totally crazy!

• Members

My home ins. runs $1200yr for $50,000 total coverage. And I think if a person drives with a phone in their ear they should have their rates doubled! That DDC has come in handy many times with those MORONS!!! That is one thing I have chosen to do without unless it is in a company vehicle and they pay the bills. I just shut it off unless I know I need it!

• Members

Gotta agree with tyger on the whole insurance doesn't count thing, seriously if they counted our insurance hubby and I could get more help the way it is now we don't even qualify for heating assistance!!! insurance gets higher and higher too seems like every time mine is due to go down the state I live in makes more rules and regulations!!!

• Members

IMHO the reason that things are this way is because of the fuckheads who drive without ins. or just should not own cars. Talk about the 3,000 tyrants one mile away. They are here in this country for sure!! (corny to steal a line from "The Patriot" but seems fitting)!

• Members

Here's one for all the Geico fans. Don't get pissed until you get to the end though. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey i dont know what the fuck your problem is but you wanna start actin funny towards me and act like u dont even know me. I thought i was ur friend but then u wanna be a two faced bitch and run your mouth about me. Why dont u be a real nigga and say it to ma motha fuckin face! U know thats pretty fucked up but u go ahead and keep pushin it all u want but u better watch your fuckin back. Your a pussy ass bitch and cant say shit to ma face and that really pisses me the fuck off but you know what, its ok b/c i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico. This is just a joke haha but i bet you are PISSED!!

• Members
I think the price of insurance is ridiculous. But, the prices of cars, car parts, and fixing them up is also ridiculous too!!

The prices of EVERYTHING are getting ridiculous.....I don't need luxuries, but it's impossible to just live a normal, simple life anymore....geez, even a trip to the grocery store has me close to tears every time I go (I'm a single, working mother of 2 young boys).

I have what's considered an excellent driving record....with the lowest points possible (no accidents/tickets or anything for over 20 years - knock on wood).....last year I was paying over $1,000/year for a 2004 Nissan Quest....I no longer have the Quest.

• Members

I have worked in the insurance industry for almost 21 years. I agree that insurance rates are high but that is a result of many things--insurance fraud, increasing cost of replacement parts, increasing medical costs, increased number of people on the road resulting in higher number of accidents, number of people who don't pay their premiums on time which is expensive to the insurance company. etc.

Almost all insurance companies now use credit as a factor in either eligibility and/or rating. Research shows that the better the persons credit score, the fewer claims they have and the fewer late payments they will have. This gives the company one more factor to make sure the premium they are charging is adequate for the risk. It is a hot topic and very hard for most people to understand but the statistics are very convincing.

So many things play into insurance rates--age/sex/marial status of the driver(s), tickets, accidents, credit, type of vehicle, coverages, payment options, location (rural vs urban), discounts offered by the company, miles driven every year, etc. One of the biggest factors is the state insurance department and what kind of rules and regulations they have.

As a consumer as well, I get frustrated with the costs and my agent has been good about finding ways to reduce my costs--making sure i have all the discounts i qualify for, raising my deductibles on collision and comprehensive and getting rid of unnecessary coverages.

• Members

I just returned from the ins. office. My new insurer covered me for $167 for 6 months. This office was directly across the street from the H&R Block where we picked up a check. Had we not been there already there is little reason to even see them there. He did have to change the DL info that he had on file and had to call in because they do not allow individuals to change DL info. it has to go through the district office. When he told her that I hadn't had a ticket in a decade and added that his record wasn't that clean I guess she asked if I was lying. He told her that I was sitting right there and he believed me. After she ran her check she confirmed it. YAY, I have a decade of clean driving record!

• Members

I just wish I could make the same claim as DirtyBlonde. Now that is a record anyone should be proud of!!!