Official Community Forums Home

Teenage Kids

chloegirl

• Members

Aaarrggh! Teenagers! You never stop to think when you're young and get that "baby fever" that you are going to be stuck with at least 21 loooonnng years of no peace, no privacy, filthy bedrooms and being bled financially dry. Don't get me wrong, they are both good girls. We've never had any real trouble out of either one of them and I love them dearly, but God, I am so ready to have my time, my house, and my BANK ACCOUNT be mine again! Know what I mean?

• Members

We have 3 girls who have pushed my sanity to its limits at times. One thing that has kept it somewhat intact is remembering myself at that age. Of course that is also the reason I threatened to lock them in the closet til they were 50! This is one daddy that never used the old put out or get out game but I know for a fact it is used by a lot of the boys here. I read something the other day that said that by the time we figure out how smart our parents are we usually have a child doing the same thing to us!

• Members

Only 1 of our 3 girls is really mine. I've always said that I didn't have more bc I got it right the first time. There are times that kids really push our limitations!!!

• Members

My oldest, a girl who is now 20, lived with her dad from the time she was 13 until the day she turned 18. She gave us all a run for the money. But now that she's on her own it's much better.

My 17 year old girl is always in need of money, but doesn't have a job. I'm fairly okay with that because her grades are fantastic. She is much like me, so I can handle her meltdowns without too much trouble.

My 13 year old boy is a handful! He won't do his schoolwork, clean his room, do anything I ask. I just pray he makes it to 14!!! I've talked to him about moving in with his dad, but he doesn't like his stepmom well enough to do that.

My consolation is that now I know they do get better---eventually...

• Members

We never had daughters but raised two sons. Both are grown and on their own and all is good but even after they had both moved out it still took a while for us to get our bank account all to ourselves. They would have a need and their soft hearted Mom would supply the money. Finally she started to wean them and now they are pretty independent for the most part.

Empty nesting is a pretty good deal when you finally get to that point. We love our sons but we do enjoy the time for each other that we never seemed to have when they were at home.

MOHD

• Members

We are on the beginning end of the teen spectrum, but foresee a long and varied future of parenting ahead of us. The 20 year old daughter already out (was and is in constant need of saving from one thing or another), two 15 year olds (boy and girl), two 13 year olds (boy and girl), one 10 YO, two 8 YO (boy and girl), one 6 and one 3, both girls... Ten kids, yup, you counted right.

We see both the joys and the pitfalls of the teen/parent condition but one thing I think is for certain... since both sets of parents were very young (early 20s) when the onslaught of children began, we didn't really do the "live life to the fullest and enjoy" because we never had a chance to be DINKs. I do look forward to a time when we can enjoy each other as empty nesters, but not at the expense of missing a single special moment in between... of course, the not so pleasant moments are free to FLY by. ;)

~the laundry goddess

• Members

LOL I hear that I raised 3 teens, and soon my daughter will be a teenager. :o I thought I was going to lose my mind when my oldest boys were going threw teens they have gotten better, one is moved out, the other almost and well the other we wont discuss. LOL Here I thought I was having 5. :lol: although the most I have ever had in my home for a period of time is 12 and that was a few years back when a friend of mine needed some help and she couldn't handle her children.

I hear Ya!!! MY HOUSE, MY bank account, My life LOL. You do know though they always come home :huh: or call mom, Dad can you help me with this? LOL

Y'all are scaring me!! But, OMG!! My daughter is quite the handful at age 5!!!! My daughter and hubby joke "fight" all the time. As in verbal sparring. Yesterday, he was getting lippy (all in play), and she just held up her hand and told him "I don't wanna hear it anymore from your mouth". His jaw just dropped. I forwarned him that he'll be sorry when she's older!!! But, that's "their bonding" thing I guess. Maybe in preperation for when she's older!!

I love the saying "Raising a Teenager is like nailing Jell-O to a tree." Guess that applies here too!!

• Members

Good to hear from all of you. Yeah the trials are there, but we all agree it's worth it. Last week ended with a bang. She's 19, in college and she does work. She gets good grades and is very involved in a ton of campus activities plus the boyfriend so we don't see her alot. But last week we start seeing all these overdrawn bank notices coming in, then there's a message on the answering machine that the check she wrote for a speeding ticket we did not know about bounced. Talk about hitting the roof...She'd been so busy keeping up with all her running that she failed to keep track of her bank account and guess who ended up paying it all off....you got it...me! Very expensive week...I basically worked 2 weeks for nothing.....She is definitely gonna make up for this...Of course to top it all off that weekend her boyfriend broke up with her so we had to deal with even more tears. Everything's ok now...you know how it goes....one day up, another day not so much but it's all good. This week has been much better and she's been nominated to be in the running for homecoming queen....no moping over boyfriends at that young age....I told her she still has a lot of sampling off the menu to go thru.

You guys are great! Thanks for all your support!

• Members

I've got a 38 year old daughter that is now living at home. I've been through the preteens, teens, the twenties, and I guess I'm starting over again with my oldest girl almost 40 and back home. So I can surely say"Been there done that!"