Official Community Forums Home

Sex And Yeast Infections (this Might Be A Bit Tmi For Men)

curvacious_lust

• Members

I know they tell you to NOT have intercourse while treating a yeast infection because your partner can become infected. BUT...are condoms a good barrier or does the antifungal treatment break them down?

(my partner actually wanted me to ask this because he hates not getting any when I get one)

Edited by curvacious_lust

• Members

A condom will protect him from getting the yeast infection....BUT it might make the infection worse for you!

:( The latex, and especially spermicide in a spermicidal / lubricated condom, can worsen the infection AND it can actually mix with the medication that you may be taking to clear it up and make the medication work less effectively!

My advice: give him killer hand jobs, blow jobs, or anal sex until that yeast infection clears up! Not for him, but for YOU!

Mikayla ;)

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I know they tell you to NOT have intercourse while treating a yeast infection because your partner can become infected. BUT...are condoms a good barrier or does the antifungal treatment break them down?

(my partner actually wanted me to ask this because he hates not getting any when I get one)

This was posted a while ago, but, I wanted to reply and let you know that I think the antifungal treatments CAN break down a condom, and I think it even says on the box NOT to use a condom for this reason. I suspect though that you aren't using the condom as a means of BC, just to protect him from NOT getting a YI, right? In any case, as a woman who gets yeast infections, I say - OUCH! I can't imagine even wanting sex while being treated for a YI, I tell my partner that there is no penetration until I'm completely better (you're a trooper!) I think it can also make it worse!! Good luck!

Meg

• Members

You are correct that the yeast infection treatments can break down condoms (it does say so on the inside of the condom package) however, I know CL doesn't use condoms for BC (at least I was pretty sure she didn't :blink: ) so I was confident in saying the condom would be an OK barrier against the yeast infection. The condom is not going to break down that rapidly that he would be immediately exposed to the infection.

However, as I said in my first response, I would not recommend having sex during a yeast infection, there are other options.

Mikayla ;)

• Members
You are correct that the yeast infection treatments can break down condoms (it does say so on the inside of the condom package) however, I know CL doesn't use condoms for BC (at least I was pretty sure she didn't :blink: ) so I was confident in saying the condom would be an OK barrier against the yeast infection. The condom is not going to break down that rapidly that he would be immediately exposed to the infection.

However, as I said in my first response, I would not recommend having sex during a yeast infection, there are other options.

Mikayla ;)

You're right...I have an IUD right now until the "other half" decides to get the snip job done. Thanks for the info everyone!!

CL~~