Official Community Forums Home

Just Something Interesting That Hapenned To Me

FOS

• Members

This is from awhile back, but I thought I'd just throw it out, here- I was wondering if any guys here, straight guys, have ever had a gay man try to pick you up.

It happened to me once when I was in my 20s. I was living in Indianapolis at the time, about 1995- and there was this club that I used to go to on a pretty regular basis- you know, a big bar, loud music, flashing lights, big dance floor, lots of pretty people to look at, all that kind of thing. And I was new in town, I guess you could say- I had moved there to take a job working for a friend of mine in the record store he had just opened...but I digress...

I noticed that there was this guy looking at me, sort of staring, and eventually, he walks up and says, 'Look, I know you're new here, I've only seen you for a couple of weeks, so I'm gonna buy you a drink. And don't refuse it; you're going to let me- I just want to take you around and introduce you to some people.' I was sort of taken aback, to say the least, and I told him he didn't have to buy me a drink to do that, but he insisted, so...anyway...we start running around the whole place, and of course there are a ton of people who know him, and he's introducing me to all of them- guys and girls both, and he wasn't really effeminate or anything, so I didn't have any idea, at this point. He was dressed well, in a Barney's New York kind of way, but I didn't think that necessarily meant anything; I mean, it hadn't even entered my mind, and I was just going along with it all, thinking that he was just being cool and nice to me. [And btw, this was at a point in my life when denim bell-bottoms were pretty much standard for me, and I had hair half way down my back...if you can dig it...

And then at one point, he stopped to talk to someone who was sitting at the bar, who he did NOT introduce me to, and then we went on...and the next thing he said to me was something about 'that straight guy back there'- and then, it started to dawn on me. Hahaha...and I stopped for a minute, as we were now standing with a bunch of his friends who were all guys, and I said, 'Ummm, I don't know if you didn't know this, or maybe just don't care, or whatever, but, ummm...I'm straight.'

His jaw just about hit the floor, and immediately, it was so strange, he became about a thousand times more effeminate than I had seen him act at all, up to that point. He said, 'OH MY GOD, OH SHIT...OHHHH, somebody get me a drink, oh shit'...I felt so bad for him, I really did. And then I thought this was sort of strange, a little bit later [after trying to avoid me for a little while], he said, 'Please just don't hate me, OK, because I really did like you, and I just thought...ohhhh, shit...I'm just so sorry, oh hell', etc., etc.

And I said, 'Oh, no, I don't- don't worry about that at all, I mean- I feel bad for YOU. I wish I could say that I was all into it for you, but...yeah, I'm sorry, too.'

And after that, he and I really did get to be good friends- he was one of the best friends I ever had, while I was living there.

• Members
[And btw, this was at a point in my life when denim bell-bottoms were pretty much standard for me, and I had hair half way down my back...if you can dig it...

Great story... Interesting.

...and yeah I CAN dig it! :P

• Members
Great story... Interesting.

...and yeah I CAN dig it! :P

Yeah, I still love the bells, but the hair got shorter awhile ago.

Anyway, something else I was going to say about it- I was really flattered by the whole thnig, even if I felt bad- I'm flattered when anyone thinks there's something attractive about me, I guess. But I was just curious about how I looked, or how I came across to people, I guess- because apparently everything in this guy's mind told him that I was definitely gay, from the way that I looked, or my mannerisms, or SOMEthing, I don't knoe [i figured that out since he was absolutely mortified when he found out that I wasn't]. And there was a guy I worked with who was gay, and I asked him if there was anything he could figure out about it. And I thought it was sort of hilarious when he said, 'Weeeelllll...not anything that totally screams it out, no, but...you do have a certain sort of AC/DC appeal.'

That was also a new one, to me...LOL. I wasn't bothered by it or anything, but it was just something I had never thought about before, until the idea presented itself.

So like I said, I got to be really good friends with this guy, Will. I haven't seen or heard from him for quite a few years now, though.

• Members
Yeah, I still love the bells, but the hair got shorter awhile ago.

Anyway, something else I was going to say about it- I was really flattered by the whole thnig, even if I felt bad- I'm flattered when anyone thinks there's something attractive about me, I guess. But I was just curious about how I looked, or how I came across to people, I guess- because apparently everything in this guy's mind told him that I was definitely gay, from the way that I looked, or my mannerisms, or SOMEthing, I don't knoe [i figured that out since he was absolutely mortified when he found out that I wasn't]. And there was a guy I worked with who was gay, and I asked him if there was anything he could figure out about it. And I thought it was sort of hilarious when he said, 'Weeeelllll...not anything that totally screams it out, no, but...you do have a certain sort of AC/DC appeal.'

That was also a new one, to me...LOL. I wasn't bothered by it or anything, but it was just something I had never thought about before, until the idea presented itself.

So like I said, I got to be really good friends with this guy, Will. I haven't seen or heard from him for quite a few years now, though.

Did you watch Friends when it was on? Remember Chandler had people thinking he was gay. he had a "quality" It was a funny episode. :)

• Members

I had an awkward experience when I was 18. I worked with a girl a few years older than me one summer. We got to be friends and after the summer job ended, she invited several of us over to her place for dinner one night. When I got there she explained that everyone else had had to back out for one reason or another. After we ate she got out some "artistic" poronographic magazines she wanted me to look at. She sat down right beside me on the sofa to point out certain things (boobs, mostly). This seemed way out of character, because had always been the religious/uptight/judgemental type at work. I left that night and she never called me again. It took me a long time to realize that she had been hitting on me that night. I felt badly when I realized that it had probably taken all her courage and a lot of planning to have me over like that and I was completely clueless. I've never seen her since.

• Members

About 15 to 20 years ago, several people from my office rotated taking trips out to this one place for work. A guy there seemed to take a liking to me, and spent a lot of my time out there hanging out with me. He was not effeminate or anything, and dopy naive me didn't think anything of it.

Back home while telling one guy about my trip, he said (about the fellow who hung out with me), "You do realize he's gay, don't you?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was once shopping with my gf (now wife) and we went into a Bath and Body works, the guy in there that tried to help us out, directed all his attention to me, even after saying I am shopping in here with her. It was rather comical and bit of a confidence boost, I am staright but its always good to know that others find you attractive. lol

One of my now-ex's BFF's was a lesban. We went to a gay bar with her (which we'd done before). One girl that I use to work with came up to me, and started talking to me, which, at first, I thought it was just the polite thing to do. Then, she got a look in her eyes and asked what I was doing here, and I told her I was there with my BF, and that he was right over there *pointed*. She's like, "oh, well, as you can see, this is where I am at this point in my life...." :o Oops!! I brushed it off nicely and said, "well, as long as your comfortable". She gave me her phone number and told me to call her if I ever changed my mind! LOL I was flattered though, cuz my BF usually was the one getting hit on by the same sex. I think he was almost jealous that he didn't get hit on that night!