Official Community Forums Home

It's That Time Of Year

synirr

• Members

We all know it's better to give than to receive, and Christmas is all about giving... so what do you give for Christmas?

When I was a kid my mother and I always used to do the Angel Tree. One year we even found the names of two sisters my mom worked with at my school (she taught in the special ed department when I was in 3rd-4th grade,) and she got to see them talk about how happy their gifts made them when they came back from break. They never did find out who their Santa was that year, of course, but it still made us feel so good. :)

Eventually we stopped doing Angel Tree (I'm not sure why, either because mom doesn't really enjoy the stress of Christmas shopping or because it's a religious organization,) but now every year my mom donates through Heifer International. This is the first year I've done it, I just gave a flock of chicks, ducklings, and goslings. I feel like I gave a gift that will really matter to somebody, and all it cost me was $60! You can buy a number of gifts for only $20, and contribute as little as $10 toward the purchase of a gift.

So what about you guys? What do you do for Christmas? :)

• Members

Well it just depends usually me and my family gets up at our own times enjoys our stockings until everyone is up and my oldest sister is over here then we open up presents and tend to either my moms or dads side of the family(someones house) and eat and talk. My mom and I when we are at the store we empty out our change and a dollar or two into the salvation army buckets. Not much but it helps plus money is tight for us around this time. And it gets really tight for me.

• Members

Hmmm, well I try to donate when i can all yera round any way, so i normally spend gobs and gobs of money on my family and friends, but this year I said screw that. I'm not racking my brain for two months to find teh right gift and freaking out over money. I got really sentimental gifts that mean a lot. If they don't like it they can bite me!

This year is really tight, so there won't be a lot of giving, which makes me feel bad, but we hafta prioritize more this year. However, with my close friends & family, every year, I try to give something I've made, and pix of our DD. I've been told I'm pretty talented, and I've given hand-painted ceramics, handmade/painted/crafted ornaments, and this year, jewelry. I like giving things that I've made specifically for someone. It lets them know I was thinking of them.

This year, I've also picked up some pine cones (which don't compare to the ones in ME, but they are great for making stuff with). I'm thinking of making some Texas cone ornaments, and trying to get enough to possibly make a wreath for us too.

Before I had a child, I'd always make sure to be at a friend's child's school/church function. I'd take pix and give them copies. Now, I am the one looking forward to taking pix and seeing MY daughter do stuff and love it!!!

• Members
This year is really tight, so there won't be a lot of giving, which makes me feel bad, but we hafta prioritize more this year. However, with my close friends & family, every year, I try to give something I've made, and pix of our DD. I've been told I'm pretty talented, and I've given hand-painted ceramics, handmade/painted/crafted ornaments, and this year, jewelry. I like giving things that I've made specifically for someone. It lets them know I was thinking of them.

This year, I've also picked up some pine cones (which don't compare to the ones in ME, but they are great for making stuff with). I'm thinking of making some Texas cone ornaments, and trying to get enough to possibly make a wreath for us too.

Before I had a child, I'd always make sure to be at a friend's child's school/church function. I'd take pix and give them copies. Now, I am the one looking forward to taking pix and seeing MY daughter do stuff and love it!!!

I'm not sure if you like to cook or not, but we love to get and give home made treats. One specialty is chocolate covered pretzels, thee kinds of chocolate, make them fun to look at and fun to eat...... guaranteed hit!

Like I said before, I love to feed people.

• Members
I'm not sure if you like to cook or not, but we love to get and give home made treats. One specialty is chocolate covered pretzels, thee kinds of chocolate, make them fun to look at and fun to eat...... guaranteed hit!

Like I said before, I love to feed people.

Well now you've gone and done it. I'm hungry :D

Man

• Members
Okay how are you at buttermilk pies?

Never made one, never even heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything. I will make one.

:unsure:Is there really such a thing??? I'll be searching the internet just find out what it is........

• Members
Never made one, never even heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything. I will make one.

:unsure:Is there really such a thing???

Believe me there is and they are great if made right. Funny thing is I don't like buttermilk but I love buttermilk pie. I'll settle for a pecan pie if that's more to your liking!!!

Man

• Members
Believe me there is and they are great if made right. Funny thing is I don't like buttermilk but I love buttermilk pie. I'll settle for a pecan pie if that's more to your liking!!!

Man

Nope! Pecan pie delicious, and easy. I'll be making a buttermilk pie at sometime during this holiday season. You've peeked my curiosity.

• Members
Nope! Pecan pie delicious, and easy. I'll be making a buttermilk pie at sometime during this holiday season. You've peeked my curiosity.

Well I'll be getting thanks from those who get some of it I'm sure. They really are good but they are rich... A little goes a long way.

PS: I love it when I've gotten a woman's curiosity peeked. :P

Man

• Members
Well I'll be getting thanks from those who get some of it I'm sure. They really are good but they are rich... A little goes a long way.

PS: I love it when I've gotten a woman's curiosity peeked. :P

Man

Well It's defiantly peeked, I'll let you know when it's been satisfied......

• Members

Buttermilk pies are delicious.

• Members
Late 80's - early 90's. I loved it. I would have stayed if possible.

Damn and I missed ya :D

I live north of Dallas near the Red River but I work in Plano which as you know is just a northern suburb of Dallas.

• Members
Damn and I missed ya :D

I live north of Dallas near the Red River but I work in Plano which as you know is just a northern suburb of Dallas.

Yep, We had some friend in Plano, but live sort of by the Galleria. Do you remember where that was? By Ross Pero's house. When were you there?

• Members
Yep, We had some friend in Plano, but live sort of by the Galleria. Do you remember where that was? By Ross Pero's house. When were you there?

I know exactly where you are talking about. I'm still here, have been since the mid 70's. (Dang I'm getting old)

Man

• Members
I know exactly where you are talking about. I'm still here, have been since the mid 70's. (Dang I'm getting old)

Man

I'm jealous...... I love to get a second home there some day.

• Members
Buttermilk pies are delicious.

Gosh you need to provide a recipe for that one. I never heard of it. Anything like buttermilk pan cakes?

Growing up we always had a tree from a tree lot, then my mother later decided to use artifical trees. I always hated the artificial trees but after pricing around I discovered the cost of a nice looking tree vs a real tree was going to be about the same in the long run. I had grown up helping my dad sell trees for the optimist club and church to raise funds. They was all northern varieties being shipped down. It be freezing cold( even in florida) and I spend alot of time huddled around a fire drinking hot beverages. We'll I didnt want to sell trees again but I wanted a real tree again after many years and baby first christmasn seemed like a great time to begin.

So last year I started a new tradition where we travel to this tree farm and cut down our own tree. As a kid we heard stories about people doing this but couldn't relate since we had no sleigh rides through the forest. And a southern pine just isn't very christmascy looking. At the tree farm I found the tree are sold about $4 per foot. There a few closer farms but all you got was a candy cane or free ornament. Just alittle further out was a place that seemed to have alot going for it. This place is about two and a half hour drive into the country and through a state forest but that only adds to the enjoyment. Tyger wouldnt find all this exciting where she lives but here in the suburbs of the city where a trip to the country dosn't happen every day and brings back memories of days gone by for me I decided to give it a try.

We pack everyone in the car after thanksgiving and travel to the farm which is down south before you get to orlando. Travel the scenic back roads into the country occassionally spotting a deer, bear, some cattle and horses, orange groves, or maybe a new fishing spot.. At this place called Santas Christmas tree farm when we arrive, we take a hayride into the forest of trees where we locate a tree to our liking. Using a saw and measuring stick they provide we cut down our tree and the farm employee tags the tree and sticks it on the back of the hay ride. We get back from the forest and they do all the work of bundling our tree and helping us put it on the car. But that just scratching the surface. This place has gift shop. poney and horse rides, a hay stack to play in, a petting zoo, a concession stand where you can buy food and they have a bon fire set up you can cook your hot dog and marshmellows over on sticks. All prices cheap and reasobale. The kid just have a great time for about an hour or more until it time to head back home. Then we stop off and have dinner. There a great place in Palatka on the st johns river for seafood. Sit out on the deck, sip sweet tea, have lunch/dinner and view the sights.

By the time you get home you tired of travel and the tree has been drilled at no charge. You stick the tree on the spike on the stand you buy from them($20) and it no hasstle. Fill the 4 gallon bucket with some water and start decorating or wait til the next day. Next year I gonna buy one of the stands they sale because it no hassle long as you know how male and female ends go togeather. Can't knock it over, it will support the cat who insist on climbing it, and it stands straight up.

Now here a few websites you might want to visit if you have kids(especially):

WWW.Northpole.com

WWW.Noradsanta.org (USAF Norad AFB,CO tracks santa and his sightings -cool videos)

You know I think I gonna upload some pics from this year trip to get the tree ( look for my photo album in galleries)

Glenn