Official Community Forums Home

Lap Band Surgery

mailahn97

• Members

Well in the last few days I have been giving a lot of thinking to having lap band surgery. I was curious if anyone on here has had it or know anyone that has had it. I was curious as to how it affected your life. From what I am hearing I will be sore for a few days and can resume all activities within 2-3 weeks including sex.

If anyone has had it was this the case for you as far as down time. Do you have any suggestions with this surgery? I would like to hear good or bad.

I have a TERRIFIC support system in my life. I am going to a seminar on the 16th and then meeting with the doctor after to discuss things with him. My insurance will cover it completely which is great. I have heard horror stories with that.

• Members

My wife had the gastric bypass, if info on that would be of interest. She went in thinking lap band, but they told her it wouldn't work for her (I forget why, maybe she needed to lose more weight than the lap band was good for).

My wife is glad she had it (bypass) done, and it has worked out fairly well for her, and she has recommended it to a couple of her friends who have gone on and done it (with less than stellar results). Nonethelss, and for what it's worth, here is my cynical skinny-assed take on it all, and most of this probably applies regardless of which one you have done:

- The whole process bugged me, starting with the whole seminar thing, where the docs are out to peddle their services and make a buck. I don't know of any other doctors that run seminars. Oh, and if your insurance doesn't cover it, "we'll work with you on the costs." (See below) At the doc's office, the whole process seemed like livestock on a conveyor belt. Crowded, no place to sit, minimal time with the doc, (and the docs are still out doing seminars to drum up more business), various screenings; everything seemed rather rushed.

- It is a jump start to losing weight, and best not to be viewed as a silver bullet. You still need to make lifestyle changes (eat better and exercise, and at least with the bypass you are not supposed to ever have carbonated beverages again, for life). If you are not willing to make those changes, for life, I don't think the weight will stay off.

- While insurance paid, it did not cover the anesthesiologist because he did not accept our insurance. Even though I asked for and was told we would get an anesthesiologist that took our insurance, I did not find out until after I got the bill for a thousand bucks that the hospital doesn't have any anesthesiologists that take our insurance. (I complained and insurance finally covered it, but there is no guarantee they will.)

- The doc bill was close to 25 THOUSAND dollars; same for the hospital bill. Insurance paid out less than 25 HUNDRED dollars to each, and because they are participating providers, they accept what they get and that's that. Explains why they're willing to talk on price if your insurance doesn't cover it. (In the end insurance paid out an amount equal to about half of my annual health insurance premium. Makes you wonder why premiums are so high.)

From what I understand, rapid weight loss doesn't let your skin contract as well as slow weight loss, so you can end up with a bunch of sagging skin. My wife ended up having plastic surgery (not covered by insurance; about 8000 bucks, though one place she went to wanted almost 20 thousand. Couldn't afford that.) They took off 13 pounds of skin. Immediately after that one she was in a lot of pain and had regrets, though later on didn't regret it so much.

• Members

A friend had it done about 8 years ago. In a couple of years she was back to her original weight and now she is probably 25% over that. Square said you have to make lifestyle changes, and I'm sure that is her problem. I saw a documentary on this and they said the successful doctors make you do a year of lifestyle changes before they do the surgery. If you can't make the changes, the surgery is doomed to fail, so they won't do it. Makes sense.

• Review Team

Hey SS! My sister had the terrible insurance story I already told you about. Hers would not cover it, even though the doctor said it was medically necessary. The doctors said they needed $20,000 up-front, and that didn't include the hospital bill, etc.

Those I know who had it have had mixed results.

A former boss had it, and the following tummy tuck and such to get rid of the skin mentioned by another poster. She had GREAT insurance (government - HA! guess who paid for that? but I digress.) She had to have a couple of surgeries to remove excess skin. She also had problems getting enough vitamins in her system because she could not eat much of anything. She could eat no more than half of a half of a sandwich at a setting. But she lost a lot of weigh and after all the subsequent surgeries, she looks great. She does have to go to the doc often to get vitamin shots, but she probably lost over 100 pounds.

On the flip side (yeah, the other was my positive story even if it didn't sound like it). I had a friend who had it and died from complications. She lost a lot of weight really quickly, but developed serious infections and died within a month of having it done. Her doctor made her and her family sign-off saying they would not sue if something went wrong before he did the surgery. She left behind two young children.

I don't know what I would do. I have thought about it. When my sister went to the seminar, they told her that she would basically have to have a liquid diet (or close to it) for nearly 6 months after the surgery. I figure if I did that, I would lose weight any way!

Only you can determine what's best for you, but we'll love ya either way! :kiss:

• Members

I know someone who had this done. She lost alot of weight fast but she could only eat about 1/2 handful at a time and was constantly throwing up if she ate or drank more and almost everything disagreed with her after. It really affected her quality of life. Within 3 years she had gained back all of the weight she had lost and all the cost and discomfort was not worth it. As they stated above it's one heck of a fast jump start but you have to TOTALLY change your lifestyle and habits to make it stick and you can do that without the suffering and cost. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Guest eminatic
the successful doctors make you do a year of lifestyle changes before they do the surgery. If you can't make the changes, the surgery is doomed to fail, so they won't do it. Makes sense.

that sounds like it should be a law for this type of procedure

• Members
that sounds like it should be a law for this type of procedure

There are many regulatory requirement for this surgery and a long physical and psychological process one needs to do in order to qualify. At least that is what the two people I know who had gastric bypass had to go through.

I don't know anyone that has had the lap band but I know 2 women who have had gastric bypass. Both were successful from a surgery stand point. No complications, everything went smoothly. One women 3 years out is doing wonderfully. She is beautifully average weight and happier with herself and everything.... the other women about 7 years out did ok for the first year, maybe. She is back to her old size and worse than that she has become bulimic. In my opinion the difference is counseling. The first women did the requisite counseling and continued for a while after, the 2nd women did the requisite counseling but thought the surgery was the only answer. So you need to find out why your eating in order to help yourself.

I see women #1 working hard everyday to make the right choice on nutrition and diet. Which ever you choose it will be a life time of work. It isn't a fix all it is an aid to help you. It is up to you afterwards to make the right choices. Basically just because you have the surgery doesn't guarantee you anything.

Here is something to think about, lets say you have the surgery, drop 150 pounds (I've never met you, have no idea what you need to loose) You make the all the right choices, you get into an excises routine for a healthy you. You look great you feel great, you've never been happier. Do you understand you may want plastic surgery afterward to get rid of the extra skin? Your lap band or bypass may be covered, but plastic surgery is elective. That out of pocket and $$$.

I'm not being a nay sayer, just trying not to sugar coat what I know. I think the surgery is a wonder option for some people, just don't think it's a quick fix. God bless SS and the tuff decision you need to make.

• Members

This doctor does not do it quickly. First off you have to meet with a counselor and dietician quite a bit before surgery. You have to prove that other methods have failed and that their are medical conditions that this can help. He gives the seminar to explain all of the different types of procedures. There are 4 types that I have found so far. So he wants you to be informed of all of them before making a decision. He will not do anything for at least 6 months and you have to make the changes as well before hand.

He is not letting anyone just rush into anything. As far as the plastic surgery aspect if deemed medically necessary afterwards they will cover it depending on insurance. Mine does cover it as they feel the weight from the excess skin pulling will cause trouble down the line.

Yes it is a lifestyle change and I am strong enough and able to do that.

I have fought with this problem for many years. I have tried lots of diets and have great willpower. It is ashame as I never have an apetite, so I basically have to force myself to eat. When we go out to eat he jokes about me being a cheap date as I don't eat much. I do still try to eat at least a little something to have my 3 meals to keep my metabolism going.

It was hard when I went to the surgeon about my hernia and basically he stereo typed and assumed that I just sit in front of the tv and do nothing. That pissed me the hell off. If he only knew. I am constantly active playing sports with my daughter. I am not a lazy type in the least. Unfortunately though I was thrown into a category and an assumption was made about me that that was how I was.

• Members

People will always stereotype others, no matter what. Close your eyes to those that don't count and forget it. Your surgeon will stereotype to according to his personal, limited experience with his population base. But it's a big no-no. Shame on him. I remember reading postings a while ago you do a lot of waking and other stuff and that's great. But SS something really concerns me that I'd like you to ask your surgeon or look into. If you don't eat much and you are active will the surgery in fact help you. Have you been tested for many/all other conditions aside form thyroid that could indeed be causing your weight problem?

I don't mean to discourage you in any way, as a matter of fact I think it would be a wonderful proactive solution, please just cover all your basis before you do it. There are risk to even the simplest of surgeries and this is not a simple procedure.

• Review Team

I totally get ya, SS. And trust me, I know your will power! :) Just like with any procedure, there are pros and cons. I wish you tremendous luck in this process. There are times that surgery is the best option, and I know you will ask all the questions to make sure this is what's best for you.

• Members
People will always stereotype others, no matter what. Close your eyes to those that don't count and forget it. Your surgeon will stereotype to according to his personal, limited experience with his population base. But it's a big no-no. Shame on him. I remember reading postings a while ago you do a lot of waking and other stuff and that's great. But SS something really concerns me that I'd like you to ask your surgeon or look into. If you don't eat much and you are active will the surgery in fact help you. Have you been tested for many/all other conditions aside form thyroid that could indeed be causing your weight problem?

I don't mean to discourage you in any way, as a matter of fact I think it would be a wonderful proactive solution, please just cover all your basis before you do it. There are risk to even the simplest of surgeries and this is not a simple procedure.

How did you get to be so smart, LL? You seem to always be able to see all sides.

I wish you the best, SS. I am sure you will do all the research before you do anything. Keep us informed. We worry and care about you.

• Members
How did you get to be so smart, LL? You seem to always be able to see all sides.

I wish you the best, SS. I am sure you will do all the research before you do anything. Keep us informed. We worry and care about you.

Thank you. Yes I have and am still researching things. That is something I do insanely about everything...hell that is what brought me to TT over a year and a half ago. My SO had brought some things up to me and I was very sheltered so I went off researching them and found this site. I research til I drive myself insane.

LL I have been tested for many things over the years. This started at age 11. It took them 3 years to find my thyroid condition.

It is a long road ahead so we will see.

• Members

A gift and a curse.

• Members
Thank you. Yes I have and am still researching things. That is something I do insanely about everything...hell that is what brought me to TT over a year and a half ago. My SO had brought some things up to me and I was very sheltered so I went off researching them and found this site. I research til I drive myself insane.

LL I have been tested for many things over the years. This started at age 11. It took them 3 years to find my thyroid condition.

It is a long road ahead so we will see.

What ever you choose I wish you good health!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am not making any decisions til I go to the seminar and meet with the doctor. That is next Monday at 1. I have done lots of reading and talked to people who have had it done and also people that know people that had it done. The people around me will tell you that I am very analytical and do not jump quickly at all.

I will update next week after I think about all the information given to me on Monday. Thanks for checking.

• Members
I am not making any decisions til I go to the seminar and meet with the doctor. That is next Monday at 1. I have done lots of reading and talked to people who have had it done and also people that know people that had it done. The people around me will tell you that I am very analytical and do not jump quickly at all.

I will update next week after I think about all the information given to me on Monday. Thanks for checking.

Good luck next week, it's a tuff decision.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

SS what did you decide?

Unfortunately I had ended up witih other extenuating health circumstances. I had my hernia surgery and that had some complications. Then I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer almost 8 weeks ago. It was caught VERY VERY early on. I finish my treatment this Tuesday so a lot of things have been put on hold. At this point I don't want to deal with any extra surgeries. Thanks for checking in about it. I am doing fine with everything but just taking a break from it all for a bit.

• Members

Unless your weight is a health issue that cannot be dealt with any other way, live inside and love the beautiful body God gave you. We real men love our women; true love loves the person...and, when we are in the midst of passion, we think not a whit about your shape or size. Sooo many other things more important than your weight and shape.

Fight the Big C, SS...win.

• Members

Unfortunately I had ended up witih other extenuating health circumstances. I had my hernia surgery and that had some complications. Then I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer almost 8 weeks ago. It was caught VERY VERY early on. I finish my treatment this Tuesday so a lot of things have been put on hold. At this point I don't want to deal with any extra surgeries. Thanks for checking in about it. I am doing fine with everything but just taking a break from it all for a bit.

hey. my mom had a Thyroid Tumor that was removed about a year ago. luckly it wasn't cancerous. and like the poster above, unless it's a health factor to get the lap band, don't worry about it. I have learned that more and more men are loving the full figure over the skinny blonde with big boobs.

Hope you get what you want. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the Cancer goes away completely.

• Members

Unless your weight is a health issue that cannot be dealt with any other way, live inside and love the beautiful body God gave you. We real men love our women; true love loves the person...and, when we are in the midst of passion, we think not a whit about your shape or size. Sooo many other things more important than your weight and shape.

Fight the Big C, SS...win.

Thank you very much and I will fight it as well as win. Thankfully it is very early on and it won't be a problem. I feel that real men love their women no matter what. I have someone in my life that helped me realize that a lot. He noticed how I would hide and that my self esteem was basically non existent. He helped teach me that he loved me for me. I do have other reasons about wanting to lose the weight and that is for my daughter. I am so active with her and want to keep doing that. My hypothyroid hinders things some but unlike a lot of others I do not use that as my excuse. I hear people say oh I can't lose weight as I have hypothyroidism and that is such bull. You just have to work harder at it. In talking to someone VERY close to me he helped me in talking that it isn't that I over eat which is what these procedures are for. Mine is I am so busy I forget to eat and then remember at the wrong times and eat the wrong things.

• Members

hey. my mom had a Thyroid Tumor that was removed about a year ago. luckly it wasn't cancerous. and like the poster above, unless it's a health factor to get the lap band, don't worry about it. I have learned that more and more men are loving the full figure over the skinny blonde with big boobs.

Hope you get what you want. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the Cancer goes away completely.

What I was diagnosed with was Stage 1 Papillary Thyroid Cancer and am doing very well. I finish treatments tomorrow which I am very happy about. I agree men are finally being honest about the type of women they like. I will get what I want. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I am glad your moms tumor wasn't cancerous.

• Members

I wish you good health, cancer free. Any elective surgery should only be done for yourself and for no-one else....ever.

• Members

I wish you good health, cancer free. Any elective surgery should only be done for yourself and for no-one else....ever.

Thank you and it was going to be for me and not someone else. I wanted to be able to be more active so that I can partipate more in activities with my daughter.