Official Community Forums Home

Women Can't Be Sexual Active And Confident? Is That It?

Jo Savage

• Members

I don't know if anyone listens to Kesha or Lady Gaga, but I love them both. They're both so different and new. I love them. And Gaga is like my new girl-crush. But when I was roving around the news i started finding articles and posts calling them both sluts, stupid, and trashy. Maybe they both are a bit wierd, and they both do sing about a lot of sexual things but should they get slammed for it?! I've heard worse songs done by guys about the same things but they don't get berated for it.

Why can't they be out in the open about their sexuality and confidence? I know this is a long talked about double standard, but I don't like just sitting down and taking it any more! Ever since I read a book about the differences of society's views about sexual maturity for boys and girls, its made me love my body even more. I used to feel ashamed about myself but this site and these two music artists have helped me come to terms with myself and it makes me so angry to hear people talk about them like that. :angry:

• Like 1

• Members

I could not begin to tell you why this happens. Most men are too insecure to handle a woman who is that open, yet, in the back of their pointy little heads, that is exactly what they want. On the other side of that same point you will the man marrying a quiet, demure, perfect piece of arm candy who will never oppose them, yet they will leave her at home and go chase the girls you speak of.

• Like 1

Yes, that's pretty much the way it is, sadly. It sucks too. But, it's been like that for time in memoriam. If a woman enjoys being a woman, being sexy, and having sex, then she MUST be a slut! I mean, what decent, respectable woman would ENJOY sex?

Women may be the "fairer" sex, but men AND some women, don't feel that fairer means free too. How liberating is it, to have sex with a man, especially your man, and ENJOY an intimate, sensual, stimulating experience???

Now, most people, upon first meeting me, wouldn't think of me as an extremely sexual woman. When they get to know me, then they learn, but I don't shove it out there for all to see either. There are ways to show strong sexuality without appearing like a "slut". However, when you're a celebrity, the "sluttier" you appear, the more attention you get, good and bad, and the more opportunities you get. So, it's a savage double-edged sword. Just think of Madonna, back in the 80's & 90's. People couldn't believe how blatant she was, yet those same people that were agast at how she behaved, bought her posters, books, movies, and albums. I LOVED her then, and I love her now. Not because of her sexuality, but because of her talent. That's the way it SHOULD be, but reality is harsher.

BTW, I just bought Lady Gaga's first CD, and I really like it a lot.

• Like 1

• Members

Really? I had no idea that Madonna was viewed that way. I haven't even begun to pay attention to music at but since a year ago. I'm pretty oblivious. It gives me a bit of hope for Kesha and Lady Gaga. Maybe they'll be more accepted someday.

I totally understand about not shoving it in people's faces. All my friends from college who got to know me could see how I felt, and it was very encouraging when they all agreed (though some of them agreed a little too whole heartedly) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Members

But they do have talent. I think they both sing very well, especially Gaga.