Official Community Forums Home

For The Men

mystofpric

• Members

Okay, birth control is HUGE right now in politics, and let me just start by saying: this is NOT a political thread as I know, probably better than anyone that those never end well. However, in my morning political trudging, a question was raised. Do men know how birth control works? So I thought I'd ask my more enlightened male contacts (ie you) and find out. Can you guys tell me how birth control works?

• Members

Not sure if you're looking for a simply yes or no answer, or if this is more of a quiz, but . . .

BC pills muck up hormone balances in the girl to prevent (most of the time) the ovaries from releasing an egg. No egg, no pregnancy. Not sure chemically how it all works, but I've heard it described as tricking the body into thinking it's pregnant. But it can't be that simple because 5 or 7 of the pills out of a pack of 28 (?) are dummies, menstruation still occurs, and if the body thought it was preggo you wouldn't (normally) get menstruation.

After the dummies, if you start the next pack of pills a little late or miss a day, they don't work. Sometimes when you take them religiously, they don't work. I have an example of each case in the next room, grumbling "where's my breakfast!?"

Condoms work as a barrier to block and collect semen and prevent it from getting into the vagina. No semen in the vagina, no pregnancy. If you don't squeeze the tip after installation to create a small pocket to collect the semen, the semen will end shooting down between the condom and penis, get out into the world at the base of the penis, and make a mess and get where it's not supposed to get and possibly cause pregnancy. They are also subject to breakage, which renders them ineffective. They also reduce chances of transmitting STDs, both from guy to girl and from girl to guy. But they are not 100% effective at that.

IUDs work by being placed into the uterus, and preventing fertilized eggs from getting implanted into the uterine wall and turning into a baby. They do not prevent egg fertilization, so those who believe life begins at conception believe IUD use constitutes murder. I believe these stay in place for extended periods of time, but I do not know how long or what the limits are.

Diaphrams: not certain, but I believe these are like a mini rubber shower cap that fits over the cervix and blocks semen (and spermies) from entering the uterus, and thus blocks egg fertilization and pregnancy. Installed prior to sexual relations and removed afterwards. These do not block STD transmission.

Sponge, again not too much knowledge on these, but I believe they are doused with spermicide and inserted into the vagina prior to sex. They do not blcok STD transmission.

There are other drug releasing devices implanted under the skin to work somewhat similar to BC pills, but I don't know much about them.

Vasectomy: surgical; the plumbing that brings sperm from the testes is cut, a section removed, and usually one or both remaining ends are sealed to prevent sperm from getting into the semen.

Tubal ligation: surgical; the fallopian tubes are severed of blocked in some way (not sure the specifics) to prevent eggs from reaching the uterus and to prevent sperm from reaching the eggs.

• Members

Not sure if you're looking for a simply yes or no answer, or if this is more of a quiz, but . . .

Sometimes when you take them religiously, they don't work. I have an example of each case in the next room, grumbling "where's my breakfast!?"

Square---DAMN you're good !!! Wow, you really did your research !!! I even learned something.

(I didn't copy all of your reply as it was long....) The part I copied was the funniest....LOL .

THANK YOU for such a scientific explanation !

ROCK ON square!!!

• Members

And there is only 100% method...

Abstinence, which I am an unwilling participant of ....:(

• Members

Thanks. The scary part is that half of that stuff is simply what I remember for 7th grade health class; and yet I can't remember what I did two days ago.

• Members

Thanks square,

I'm glad I read that...I always thought that birth control pills were made of sugar and it was the power of positive thinking that kept a girl from pregnancy.

In all seriousness, I worked as a pharmacy tech for a few years and you can only hear a pharmacist explain BC to someone so many times before you can recite it better than he/she can.

Randy.

• Members

And there is only 100% method...

Abstinence, which I am an unwilling participant of ....:(

In a LDR that's pretty much what your doing, isn't it. blink.gif

• Members

Thanks square,

I'm glad I read that...I always thought that birth control pills were made of sugar and it was the power of positive thinking that kept a girl from pregnancy.

In all seriousness, I worked as a pharmacy tech for a few years and you can only hear a pharmacist explain BC to someone so many times before you can recite it better than he/she can.

Randy.

Okay so the reason I wrote this question wasn't to degrade or shame any one, (which I hope didn't happen) but to see what you guys really know. Beyond politics, my own boyfriend didn't even think to ask if i was on BC until 4 months into our relationship, then i had to explain how it worked and why I wasn't taking a pill daily (implant for the win!), I'm pretty sure he still doesn't get it. I'm really glad there are intelligent guys out there!!

And technically, Ready is right, but that's no fun.

• Members

You'd be surprised what One is capable of...Trust me...

• Members

Isn't that what's said just before one gets "screwed"? :rolleyes:

I dont believe Ive uttered anything of the sort before any "screwing"...:rolleyes:

• Members

I dont believe Ive uttered anything of the sort before any "screwing"...:rolleyes:

Hmmmm....., so your not a lawyer.

(Disclaimer: The above comment does not reflect any of the opinions or feeling of TT or individual poster. It is solely for the purpose of entertainment and therefore should not seen or interrupted as literal. If you should seek additional information on said posting please contact poster directly.)

• Members

Hmmmm....., so your not a lawyer.

So what is it you're implying...:huh:

• Members

Why what could you possibly mean.....happy.gifcool.gif

Maybe A new birth control method should be introduced....Tying you to the four corners of the bed, naked, blindfolded, and sexually teasing you to the cusp of orgasm, but never allowing YOU to reach your ORGASM....

Play coy with me, will you....:P

• Members

Maybe A new birth control method should be introduced....Tying you to the four corners of the bed, naked, blindfolded, and sexually teasing you to the cusp of orgasm, but never allowing YOU to reach your ORGASM....

Play coy with me, will you....:P

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif That's not birth control that's just mean sad.gif

• Members

But, it is guaranteed not to make you pregnant...:D