Official Community Forums Home

Whatcha Reading?

Cacky

• Members

Well, after all the talk about "Fifty Shades of Grey"--I bought it too !! I started reading the preview pages on Amazon.

I loved it. Then I was reading all the of the negative reviews about the book. (how badly written it was...etc...)

There were more bad reviews than good ones. I can't understand it--I think it's great. A lot of the reviews said there was

way too much sex in it . (how is that even possible ????? LOL)

I'm also reading my daughter's book report book--they are reading it in English class.

AWESOME book----"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. The main character Melinda has just entered high school.

She has a secret she can't share with anyone and it's completely tearing her apart.

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Laurie-Halse-Anderson/dp/0312674392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336913633&sr=1-1#_

• Members

Well, after all the talk about "Fifty Shades of Grey"--I bought it too !! I started reading the preview pages on Amazon.

I loved it. Then I was reading all the of the negative reviews about the book. (how badly written it was...etc...)

There were more bad reviews than good ones. I can't understand it--I think it's great. A lot of the reviews said there was

way too much sex in it . (how is that even possible ????? LOL)

I'm also reading my daughter's book report book--they are reading it in English class.

AWESOME book----"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. The main character Melinda has just entered high school.

She has a secret she can't share with anyone and it's completely tearing her apart.

http://www.amazon.co...36913633&sr=1-1#_

Funny, some things never change. I remember when one of my daughters read "Speak" and loved it. I know I read it with her, but for the life of me can't remember what it was about. I'll have to google. As far as Fifty shades of Grey, LOTS of sex! Fun to read, now written great, but better character development in the second book. I'm on the third book, it's good, but I have a feeling the second book will be the star of the trio.

Honestly some of the stuff in the book is not a turn on, but interesting in another way.

• Members

Funny, some things never change. I remember when one of my daughters read "Speak" and loved it. I know I read it with her, but for the life of me can't remember what it was about. I'll have to google. As far as Fifty shades of Grey, LOTS of sex! Fun to read, now written great, but better character development in the second book. I'm on the third book, it's good, but I have a feeling the second book will be the star of the trio.

Honestly some of the stuff in the book is not a turn on, but interesting in another way.

It's funny, I love the young adult books. I always have. I go back to the books I loved to read when I was younger. (Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly is another of my favorites--we had to read that in English class--)

You can also watch the movie "Speak ". I found it on YouTube--someone copied it in parts. I think there's something like 12 parts on there. The girl who played in Twilight stars as Melinda the main character in "Speak". The movie was also very good.

• Members

LA Weekly this afternoon...

Interesting nite spots... B)

• Members

LA Weekly this afternoon...

Interesting nite spots... B)

Are you or have you picked up the book by Jose Rodriguez? It's called 'Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions after 9/11 saved American Lives'? He is the former Chief of the CIA's clandestine services.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Read all three Fifty Shades of Grey....

Erotic, but some of the extreme stuff I just crinkled my nose at and found unappealing.

Read two other book since.....

• Members

Ready and Square, have either of you read Unbroken? A true WW 2 story of survival, which is based on the American, Japanese

conflict. I haven't read anything about this before, jaw dropping at some points.

(Wow, your post was almost two months ago already?)

Never heard of it till your post. Was in a bookstore the other day and they had a copy. I started it last night, but was tired and only got a page or two in so far.

• Members

(Wow, your post was almost two months ago already?)

Never heard of it till your post. Was in a bookstore the other day and they had a copy. I started it last night, but was tired and only got a page or two in so far.

I'd be interested to know what you think about the book when you've read it. Also do you know anything about 'Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions after 9/11 saved American Lives'?

• Members

. . . Also do you know anything about 'Hard Measures: How Aggressive CIA Actions after 9/11 saved American Lives'?

No; I came across it either when checking the internet for info on "Unbroken" or at the bookstore, but beyond that no nothing about it. Looked like it could be interesting though.

• Members

Started reading 50 Shades while I was on the road. Interesting.

I finished Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran 2 weeks ago, and I just read The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon. It's a book on how to change to a more positive outlook by getting rid of useless complaining.

• Members

Dont Laugh...

But I have started reading "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" by Seth~Grahame Smith...

It actually reads pretty good...

• Like 1

I didn't even know that was a book, until I saw the trailer for the movie. I think I'd like to read that too.

• Members

I didn't even know that was a book, until I saw the trailer for the movie. I think I'd like to read that too.

Well, there is nothing sexual within the pages (Unlike the "Shades Of Grey", which many of the women find arousing)...

However, it does list quite a few actual events which did occur in Our 16th Presidents life... I found it interesting, all the way through the assassination of Lincoln, which ties in to the ending of the book... I havent seen the movie, but I believe I will have a better understanding since a lot of Abe's thoughts are within the pages of the book and are often left out on the "Silver Screen"...

Its worth a read, just my opinion though...

• Members

I have moved on to The Hunger Games. Very different for me. But so was Fifty Shades.

I like historical fiction. Pope Joan was good. And I enjoyed Noah's Wife.

Unbroken was a great story, sad at times. Hard to read a book you know really happened.

Happy Reading everyone

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Regarding Unbroken, I guess I liked it. Had a tough time putting it down once I got a third of the way into it or so. And finished it in a month; usually it would take 6-months for me to get through a 400-pager, reading a little at bedtime each night.

My daughter has been arm-twisting me to read The Hunger Games, so maybe I'll take a stab at that next.

• Members

Well, there is nothing sexual within the pages (Unlike the "Shades Of Grey", which many of the women find arousing)...

However, it does list quite a few actual events which did occur in Our 16th Presidents life... I found it interesting, all the way through the assassination of Lincoln, which ties in to the ending of the book... I havent seen the movie, but I believe I will have a better understanding since a lot of Abe's thoughts are within the pages of the book and are often left out on the "Silver Screen"...

Its worth a read, just my opinion though...

Are Abe's thoughts real or perceived?

I have moved on to The Hunger Games. Very different for me. But so was Fifty Shades.

I like historical fiction. Pope Joan was good. And I enjoyed Noah's Wife.

Unbroken was a great story, sad at times. Hard to read a book you know really happened.

Happy Reading everyone

Regarding Unbroken, I guess I liked it. Had a tough time putting it down once I got a third of the way into it or so. And finished it in a month; usually it would take 6-months for me to get through a 400-pager, reading a little at bedtime each night.

My daughter has been arm-twisting me to read The Hunger Games, so maybe I'll take a stab at that next.

I have read all but the hunger games which my daughter said was even better than the movie. Right now I am to busy to really sink my teeth into a good book, I'm keeping a list for later.

• Members

Are Abe's thoughts real or perceived?

His (Abe's) thoughts are real within the book, not perceived, as most of the book is acted out from an alleged Diary written by Abraham Lincoln...I still havent seen the movie, but it is something I would like to see sometime soon...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

FInished all three hunger games books. Liked them and found them hard to put down, but I didn't like how the whole mess ended. Found it quite depressing, and she ended up with who I thought was the wrong boy for her, though my kids do not agree with either of those views.

Next book is Our Vietnam: The War 1954 - 1975 by A J Langguth. It's been on my "to read" pile for six years.

• Members

I read very sporadically. Last finished (this week) was "Half Broke Horses". Janette Walls.

She also wrote "The Glass Castle" which is one of the best memoirs I've ever read.

I mostly read non-fiction or memoirs. I read very few novels.

Square - sounds you've got your work set out for you with that Vietnam book. One day, I'm going to get to that Chernobyl book thats been on my dresser for 5 years!

• Members

Started reading 50 Shades while I was on the road. Interesting.

Sunday, what was your take on it?

I've not read it but when we went to a resort in Mexico in May, I looked at Mr. HW and told him I would love to have a quarter for every copy I saw on lounge chairs down there. It was crazy!

• Members

Sunday, what was your take on it?

I've not read it but when we went to a resort in Mexico in May, I looked at Mr. HW and told him I would love to have a quarter for every copy I saw on lounge chairs down there. It was crazy!

.... and those are just the ones you saw. Think of everyone reading it on some sort of device!

• Members

.... and those are just the ones you saw. Think of everyone reading it on some sort of device!

TRUST Ladylove! I mean it was seriously ridiculous.