Official Community Forums Home

Did you know that, in some states, if you have an STD, and you don't disclose to your lover you have one, and they contract it, and they can prove that you knew you had it beforehand (Rx bottles are a great way to do so), that the person that had the STD first, can be held liable for any medical expenses incurred because of the non-discloser?

Do you think that this is right? Do you think people should be forced to tell their STD status ahead of time?

I absolutely do!!! If I'd been given the choice, I probably wouldn't have had sex with the guy that had it.

A friend of mine got herpes and the guy that gave it to her KNEW he had it, and was pissed off at the girl that gave it to him, so he thought he'd just infect as many people as he could, including my friend. I personally think there should be consequences for him. But, alas, that was almost 20 year ago, and in a state that, at the time, didn't have such laws in place.

• Members

In some states not disclosing your status before engaging is sexual behavior is a crime. I do believe it is important to disclose your status. It is ethical. It is honoring of the other person.

• Like 1

• Members

I think it should be a crime everywhere.  To me it seems like it would fall under assault, or a type of bio-assault. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I agree. I like "bio-assault". That's a good term for those that pass on their STDs knowingly/carelessly.

I have only had to disclose a few times, but, each time went very well, and I'd have an idea of when we were going to engage in sex, so I'd take my meds, vitamins, and be sure that condoms were used. It helped a lot when I know my symptoms and that I told the men I was with before, that I was with my ex husband for almost 13 yrs, and I had herpes all that time, and never gave it to him.

I was so nervous each time I did so though. To me, once you have an STD that's incurable, casual sex isn't really an option. You need to CHOOSE to have quality partners/relationships. Flings just increase transmission.

• Like 1